Kruger National Park: Be Careful of what We may Lose

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Kruger National Park: Be Careful of what We may Lose

Post by Richprins »

I've been mulling over this for some time, and I think it's a core part of what Africa Wild stands for and was created for:

Kruger Park has been going for 100 years or so, and has been built up to an internationally famous, well respected and loved icon. It contains the greatest animal biodiversity in Africa, combined with a well-established local and international tourism infrastructure.

It has had massive conservation successes over the years, probably most notably becoming the world's greatest Rhino sanctuary.

It has directly or indirectly contributed many, many billions of Rands to South Africa's economy over the years, and similarly has kept the Lowveld economically viable since time immemorial, mostly through cottage industries, adjacent accommodation enterprises, simple food/drink/grocery providing enterprises etc.

It has therefore provided many thousands of desperately needed jobs, more indirectly than directly.

In fact, the benefits of Kruger to South Africa are impossible to quantify and the recipe has obviously been unique and proven to be incredibly successful!

Now here's the point:

All this took many years to build up, no matter who was in charge at various times.

Over the last scant four years or so, repeated sources of worry have surfaced regularly regarding the state of Kruger, both in local and international and social media, and even in SA parliament.

I do not include Rhino Poaching or Flood damage, obviously.

However a list of concerns:

Multi-million Rand Hotel/lodge developments, with hotly-debated merits right up to Parliamentary level.

Increased visitor numbers/gate quotas, leading to horrendous overcrowding during peak-season.

Continued sales of Rhino, despite various queries related to the destiny and safety of these animals.

Regular complaints regarding maintenance of tourist accommodation.

The country's longest ever strike by workers.

Questionable high-intensity burning experiments.

The destruction of Internationally renowned water points.

The cessation of comprehensive aerial censussing of large mammals.

The cessation of elephant culling, and an about-turn regarding the seriousness of that problem.

The decay in services at Camps and Picnic spots regarding provision of refreshments.

The diversion of conservation funds toward community projects outside the Park that are the responsibility of other Government Departments.

New entrance gates of questionable value and intent.

A repeated reference to Land Claims, which are spurious in many instances, and not SANParks' problem.

An apparent political angle to many decisions and postures taken by SANParks of late.

Questionable practices regarding booking accommodation.

The list can go on.

So where do we stand?

More to come...
Last edited by Richprins on Wed May 27, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Re: Be Careful of what We may Lose

Post by Flutterby »

Well said RP!! ^Q^ All extremely valid and relevant concerns!! \O

Toko

Post by Toko »

... some part of it is already lost, looking at the large numbers of visitors crowding KNP and the infrastructure they "need".

H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Indeed RP. While time lingers on without decision,
much goes for lost!!

Heh,.. H.e
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Flutterby wrote:Well said RP!! ^Q^ All extremely valid and relevant concerns!! \O
Agreed ^Q^ ^Q^ \O

H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Abuse will just quantify itself in the sense of a lull.

Though time stands still in nature does not mean to
say conservation issues can wait their turn, outside
the boundaries, so to say!!

I do not like the fact that some conservation issues
are in parliament and have become political issues!!

Trading value so to speak!!

Heh,.. H.e
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Part Two:

DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE GUEST

It has become abundantly clear that SANParks realises it has a massive faithful support base regarding tourist revenue, mostly local, but obviously international as well, to the extent that Kruger's revenue forms the majority of SP's annual income budget.

This is entirely true, I form part of that group!

However, people are not stupid, and mostly aren't getting any richer, worldwide.

The simple principle of receiving the quality of both accommodation, service, catering and wildlife experience that you have paid for, applies to all destinations, including Kruger.

In essence, should that balance be upset, and cash-strapped tourists DECIDE, not realise, that enough is enough, they will seek other alternatives, especially internationally.

A case in point is a recent big local newspaper's insert regarding Kruger, part of which advised tourists on how to stay in affordable accommodation outside the Park, sparing money to enter as day visitors. Unheard of!

I have heard from some international visitors already that they are finished with Kruger, and will look at other options in RSA, Africa or woldwide. This is a small sample, but the point is that other destinations have surpassed Kruger regarding value for money, and are keenly aware of luring Kruger's customers!

Additionally, one only needs a single example of a tourist dying due to Kruger negligence, be it maintenance, staff ineptitude, or even food poisoning (to stretch a point), for the growing bad reputation to spread like wildfire. And there have been a number of close calls over said period.

Maybe I sound alarmist, but things are deteriorating, not improving. And I don't say that just resulting from word of mouth...I've been to Kruger over 200 times, 10 times last year alone, and can see what is happening for myself, as I have had the absolute privelege of monitoring the tourism side of the Park for almost 30 years now!

Kruger does have a long-term plan of eventually having only the Border Rest Camps, with self-drive being replaced by OSV's, in my opinion, generating more income a'la Serengeti. This has serious pitfalls, as the worst case scenario is that the luxury tourism market dries up or cannot cope with the revenue expected, while capital projects already paid for at great expense by SP become white elephants, requiring a Government bailout which WILL NOT materialise!

This train will take a long time to stop, and those making money and scoring political points from Kruger will be long gone by the time the train has stopped, but we need to fight long and hard to keep the train from stopping!

Not just in the interests of our beloved ecosystem, but also our children, and the World's children.
Last edited by Richprins on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
H. erectus

Re: Kruger: Be Careful of what We may Lose

Post by H. erectus »

Thank you RP, a very real message!!!

Heh,.. H.e
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Well said RP X#X

H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Sanparks are embarking on a mission too lure commercialization
too the fore, when they cannot create a reasonable state of safety
too those that support it!!

I guess that signs stating "at own risk" covers all which would be
fair enough, however, "I don't know you like this Sanparks"!!

A cheap excuse for neglect???

Next best we will call it all rustic,...?????

Heh,.. H.e

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”