Mopani

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
Alf

Mopani

Post by Alf »

On our previous visit to Mopani we experienced loud music and noise from visitors and i had to complain numerous times with the duty manager

I see the following on the other side and they had the same negative experience

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Mopani Rest Camp

Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:27 pm

I love Mopani. It is my favourite camp when we use conventional accommodation (not camping). However, we had a bit of a bad experience when we stayed in Chalet 101 during 12 - 14 Nov a month ago.

101 has a magnificent view over the dam. Unfortunately it is very close to No 100 - merely 5 metres apart. The first night (a Thursday) was wonderful with no visitors in 100. Late afternoon of the 13th, a mini bus full of visitors, arrived at No 100. And gone was the tranquility we have always experienced during our visits to Mopani. A few chalets "share" a parking area. The Friday night our new neighbours, and also other friends of them staying in other chalets, decided that the parking area was the place to gather. They were rather noisy, but we coped with it. However, the next morning when we walked to our vehicle to depart on our morning game drive, we could not believe what we saw. The parking area was a mess of empty liquor bottles and tins.

When we returned late morning, the party has started on No 101's stoep. I reckon 20 - 30 people gathered on the stoep and in front of 101. They were loud and noisy. Later the music started playing. Wood was gathered in front of 101 and a fire was made on the ground with a big three-legged pot on it. We decided to go on a afternoon drive. When we returned it was obvious that the majority of the people were intoxicated. The music was really loud now. I did not want to confront them or even report them to camp management as I was scared that we maybe targeted for spoiling their fun. However, later I could not take the music anymore. I walked over and asked one of the older gentlemen in the group whether they would mind to turn down the volume of the music. I have to admit that they complied to my request and totally switched off the music after a while.

Fortunately the had their meal quite early and after that the situation calmed down quite a lot. The bit of loud talking and laughing that carried on, on the stoep was quenched by our aircon when we went to bed. But oh my - we could not believe our eyes when we packed and left for Shingwedzi the next morning. The stoep and the whole area in front of No 100 was a total mess. These people came to the park for one big party - they obviously had nothing else in mind. Their vehicles did not leave the camp once between their arrival the Friday afternoon and when we left the Sunday morning.
Our neighbour who stayed in 102, a bit further away, came to me while I packed my vehicle and actually sympathized with us for what we had to bear with. Fortunately the next 3 nights in Shingwedzi and the following 3 nights in Bateleur helped to forget the worst experience we have ever had in Kruger.

Afterwards I heard from relatives in Phalaborwa and friends in Tzaneen that Mopani, and to a lesser extend Letaba, became notorious for these type of parties over weekends. I don't know how true it is, but mine was a bad experience.

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Mopani

Post by Lisbeth »

They should have complained right away! I don't think that the management agrees with this kind of behaviour :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Alf

Post by Alf »

Lisbeth wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:37 am They should have complained right away! I don't think that the management agrees with this kind of behaviour :evil:
On our December 2018 trip i have phoned the Duty manager a few times every day and she ended up giving the phone to someone else every time.

Then after a while someone would arrive and let us know they have spoken to the noisy people but they say that they are playing games 0*\

They don’t really care about other people

Next trip to the bush??

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Management would have heard this noise by themselves, which is the point! :evil:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

And the [CV19] rules? I bet that they did not wear masks or kept the social distance 0*\

It is a bad stain on the reputation of the park :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Alf

Post by Alf »

If management really cared they would have done something about this a long time ago

I wonder how it was over Christmas in that camp O**

Next trip to the bush??

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”