My Dream of Many Years Come True...Almost!

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Re: My Dream of Many Years come true...almost!

Post by Klipspringer »

Lisbeth wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:48 pm
The papyrus makes such a special effect :yes:
We can put it to the AW book, do you have more photos?

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Lis, that looks like a cool place to spend a few days. Looking forward to the next day... \O

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

It looks lovely, Lis. What a treat!! \O \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Klipspringer wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:03 pm
Lisbeth wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:48 pm
The papyrus makes such a special effect :yes:
We can put it to the AW book, do you have more photos?
Plenty! lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Sprocky wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:55 am Lis, that looks like a cool place to spend a few days. Looking forward to the next day... \O
It was very nice indeed!

Flutterby wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:24 am It looks lovely, Lis. What a treat!! \O \O
Sometimes being spoiled a bit is very good for the general well being ;-) lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: My Dream of Many Years Come True...Almost!

Post by Mel »

I'm totally intrigued! It looks really nice there. The accommodation looks lovely too, let alone the nature.
Having a handsome guide certainly helps enjoying the stay. As does good food. And it does look yummy :-0

Curious to learn more! 0()

Is there a website for this camp? And how did you book your flight? Done by the lodge?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Mel wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:09 pm I'm totally intrigued! It looks really nice there. The accommodation looks lovely too, let alone the nature.
Having a handsome guide certainly helps enjoying the stay. As does good food. And it does look yummy :-0

Curious to learn more! 0()

Is there a website for this camp? And how did you book your flight? Done by the lodge?
I don't know if you remember, but three years ago I had planned a trip by car to Botswana, doing the north, Kasane, Chobe + Victoria falls and ending up in Maun and once there find a place to stay in the Delta. Then My husband died and that was the end of that trip. Before planning myself, I had been in contact with Christian Boix of Africa Geographic, but the prices were too exaggerated, so I did my own planning.

Now, if I wanted to go, I knew that I had to do something silly, which I did just before leaving. I got in contact with Christian and he promised to get a good price being out of high season, at Setari Camp. Then it turned out that Setari had sold the last bed and the only other option was Mopiri. Christian took care of the change of my Nelspruit-OR Tambo booking because you cannot do it by e-mail 0- but the OR Tambo- Maun return I booked myself as it was cheaper (quite a lot) than SAA.

Mopiri is part of a group called Roots and Journeys (I normally don't like hotel groups, no personal touch, but I had no choice) https://rootsandjourneys.com/
As they are camps at different kinds of location I am sure that some people take a tour of all of them ;-)

Setari Camp: https://www.setaricamp.com/ ( I don't really think that there is much difference from one to the other.)

If you want to, I can send you some of the e-mails that we exchanged, with the various options ( there are some cheaper ones for younger people who can walk and rough it a bit more) or you can get in contact with Christian or Nadia at Africa Geographic. You can also noose around here: https://mailchi.mp/africageographic/che ... 3cf4ca8e69

The Maun/camp flight is included in the price and done by the camp probably.

I am sure that you want to know the price, so here it is ;-) Four nights all included (less tips) return from Maun just short of $ 2000.00 incl. transfer costs. The flight Johannesburg/ Maun return was R5663.00 + tips $156.00. With €1000.00 more I stayed in SA for a month included all flights O**
(AG only takes US dollars)

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Day Two:

As the day before had been rather tiring, I did not feel like an early get-up and lots of commitments, so I had declared the morning off-limits lol

When I went out of my tent I saw a few vervets in the tree right in front and quite near. They look slightly different from our vervets, at least the ones I saw -O- (Now with the help of JPL I know that they are Malbrouck monkies, an Old World primate from Africa, that belongs to the genus Chlorocebus. The species is sometimes classified as a subspecies of the vervet monkey (C. pygerythrus) :-) )
IMG_5829.JPG
IMG_5830.JPG
IMG_5831.JPG
IMG_5832.JPG
IMG_5833.JPG
IMG_5834.JPG
IMG_5835.JPG
An African green-pigeon was hidden in a dark corner
IMG_5839.JPG
And on the walkway, I came across a Wahlbreg’s striped skink (says Klippie ;-) )

Alf

Post by Alf »

They do look different :-?

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

After breakfast, which usually for my part was yoghurt with muesli, coffee with milk and my pills lol , I took a walk around taking some photos ( if not I would have been punished by certain forum members I know O-/ )

The bar, restaurant and coffee corner
IMG_5794.JPG
IMG_5795.JPG
“Swimming” pool area, nicely shadowed by big trees
IMG_5797.JPG
The relative toilets, which from the inside have a lovely view on the lagoon
IMG_5798.JPG
View on the planes from the board walks
IMG_5799.JPG
IMG_5800.JPG
The big safari boat landing and informative boards
IMG_5802.JPG
IMG_5803.JPG
IMG_5801.JPG
IMG_5804.JPG
Walking boards with a crested barbet ;-) and solar panels, which are placed all over the place where they are not too much in sight
IMG_5806.JPG
IMG_5807.JPG
IMG_5808.JPG
IMG_5809.JPG
An old mokoro made out of a wooden trunk, the way they used to be. Now they are made of metal and are of course much lighter but also more difficult to keep in equilibrium, words of Vincent ;-)
IMG_5810.JPG
Another access to the water with one more informative board
IMG_5811.JPG
IMG_5812.JPG
Could be a nice beach :-)
IMG_5813.JPG
More pics of the communal areas
IMG_5814.JPG
IMG_5815(2).jpg
IMG_5815.JPG
IMG_5816.JPG
IMG_5818.JPG
IMG_5819.JPG
Sorry that I did not walk further around i.g other accommodations and there was also a boma somewhere, but the distances were rather long and I do not think that those places were very different from what I have shown you.

Return to “Travel Tales of Botswana Parks”