Another complaint about noise at Skukuza

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
PennyinSA

Another complaint about noise at Skukuza

Post by PennyinSA »

This was posted to Kruger Park - BPOE and then reposted to Concerned Stakeholders and I just hope that they can resolve this problem as it is very unfair on people who have spent a lot of money and are forced to endure this kind of thing! I quote:

It took me nearly two weeks to decide if I must say something-I decided to do so...We went to Skukuza for 4 days end July. I could not wait to go to KNP, the place I surely love the most. To make it even more special, I had the special treat to share it with my mother-who was there more than 20years ago.
To my horror, we had to listen to loud music, and big parties for 3 nights. The Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. None of the usual nightly sounds I was hoping to hear and respect. This went on until after 23pm each night.
What bothered me most was the fact that these parties was at the staff housing. Surely someone in management position also stays there???
We decided to leave 1day earlier because we just could not take it anymore.
I immediately shared this on the Sanparks feedback link, for what it's worth.
I REALLY hope this is not the future of our beloved Kruger Park

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Another complaint about noise at Skukuza

Post by Richprins »

Thanks, Penny!

This is a serious problem indeed, and not new! :evil:

SP have been made aware of it often over the last few years, and not only Skukuza!!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PennyinSA

Post by PennyinSA »

Indeed - we have had two sleepless nights at Olifants and another at Satara where the behaviour of those who supposedly came from the staff village to perform traditional dancing carried on way too far and was extremely unpleasant to witness. In the Satara incident they appeared from nowhere and we stood watching in dismay as they mingled with guests and were extremely suggestive in their dance moves. Not the type of thing one expects to experience in Kruger National Park. There again we probably have absolutely no idea of what goes on in staff villages at night and the traffic to Skukuza staff village carries on right through the night. Gate and road abuse is of frightening proportions and there seem to be no rules in place to govern this. Surely if people want to work in a game reserve they have to be aware of the limitations this will place on them and that the very essence of the bush is totally ruined if staff are going to be allowed to treat it as another night at a club in the City. Surely only dedicated staff prepared to work with nature should be employed and to constantly say that they need to lead a normal life does have repercussions on the paying tourist who should simply not have to fork out huge bucks if this is going to be the norm. I will be staying in Skukuza in January and heaven help anyone who destroys my evenings in accommodation that is priced beyond most average Saffie's pockets as they will certainly hear from me.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

A guy I work with was at Skukuza for a few days during the July school holidays and complained about staff parties until around 12 both nights he was there.

Last year July when I was at Skukuza there was live music (solo artist and massive speakers). This was in the staff section next to wild fig guest house (old ABSA) and one could hear it throughout camp O/

I can go on with plenty stories from Skukuza, but it seems many Skukuza staff have a different opinion of what KNP should be about and this must include the senior staff as they are letting it continue and possibly even participating. The big question is, do the rest of the KNP staff share the same opinion and from my experience of camps in the south, plenty do as we have experienced many staff parties at Lower Sabie and a few at Satara. I phoned the duty manager at Lower Sabie the 1 night at around 12:30am and the manager was at the party because I could hear the music blasting through the phone. O/

I wonder if the KNP ethos in the south and eventually the north is changing forever as this is slowly building each year and it will reach a tipping point at some stage O/ O/ and when it does......................the majority of the client base will disappear................and then O-/

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Richprins wrote:
SP have been made aware of it often over the last few years, and not only Skukuza!!
RP, I have had to phone the duty manager at Skukuza, Lower Sabie and Satara numerous times over the years and most times they seem bemused by the compliant and it's this bemusement that's the biggest worry for the future of the KNP ethos most guests enjoy.

Twigga

Post by Twigga »

0*\

I'm there in 15 days .....please if you plan to throw a party that night , just remember you will be nr 1 on the list of the Skukuza hyena

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Somewhere in Kruger
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Just like being in hospital in SA......the staff come first and the patients far behind :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

It is exactly as BC says, ethos is a serious concern, and has been mentioned here: https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 1&start=70

Make no mistake, should some sort of tipping-point be reached, visitors, especially foreigners, will turn elsewhere. One doesn't travel 10 000 km and pay $5000 to sleep in the bush listening to screaming and music. :evil:

Other operators will pounce on this quickly..they generally already offer better value for money regarding accommodation.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

As KNP and also the other Sanparks have become terribly expensive, people will start looking for other places and if you add noises, bad manners, lack of maintenance etc. foreigners for sure.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

Lisbeth wrote:As KNP and also the other Sanparks have become terribly expensive, people will start looking for other places and if you add noises, bad manners, lack of maintenance etc. foreigners for sure.
so right... for the price 0*\ :evil:

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”