Ireland in a Gypsy Caravan

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
Moggiedog

Re: Ireland in a Gypsy Caravan

Post by Moggiedog »

JnF - ^0^ - Didn't you "keep" a journal?

Thanks Mel - enjoy the ride

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Finally we arrived and were introduced to our "engine" for the next few days. Billy was a tinker cob - small but well built for pulling a caravan. I did have a few doubts and was rather concerned about his well being. He had a wonderful nature but certainly a mind of his own. I don't think he had a mean bone nor an energetic bone in his body - until he didn't want to be caught!
We went through the basics of how to harness up as well as his food requirements. The next morning we would be heading out into the roads but one of the employees would be going with us for the first few hours just to make sure everything was under control and we were comfortable with handling a horse and cart.
Time to do some shopping. The one thing I will mention - the most disgusting looking potatoes I have ever seen on the shelves - but it took me many months to enjoy a South African potato after having eaten the Irish potatoes. They certainly didn't look good but they tasted like food from the gods!
Early the following morning we headed out and after a few minutes our instructor decided we were able and capable of continuing without him. Buddy and I looked at each other and shrugged. Here goes nothing!
We soon discovered no matter how hard we tried we could not get Billy to go faster than a sedate walk. We were a tad concerned about this as we had been told there would be a hill we would have to approach at an energetic trot if Billy was going to get up the hill. He had fallen on the hill before and the owners had been working on him as he had started a bad habit of stopping and refusing to move when he approached that specific hill - something to look forward to!
Diligently following the maps and sign boards we made our slow way along the roads enjoying the scenery. Then horror of horror - we missed a turn - wonderful - no reverse gear and a "vehicle that is not very good at three point turns. We eventually managed to turn around - not without some damage - I may add and without more problems arrived at the cottage we would be staying over at.
The best part of a trip in this type of transport is the various gardens you park in and the different people you meet.

The following morning we were off again on our travels

nan

Post by nan »

wow nice O/\ O/\ O/\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Jillinflorida

Post by Jillinflorida »

First and last time I kept a journal was my first trip to SA with you. I'll keep one when I go to Alaska just so I can do a tt. O**

Jillinflorida

Post by Jillinflorida »

Oh, didn't see you'd posted pictures. Buddy looked his normal excited self. LOVE the "L" plate on the back of the caravan!!

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Great stuff MG. O/\

Making me thirsty for a Guinness now. X#X

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

So idyllic MD...lovely!! \O

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

This is definitely 'different' - wow, how exciting. O/\

I think all your suitcases must be packed with patience and loads of time.. ;-)

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

What a fantastic way to see the countryside.

Lets hope that Billy makes it up the hill.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Each morning started with catching Billy - feeding and grooming him before hitching up to head out onto the roads. What is so wonderful about a trip like this - is one stays with the local people. From peat farmers to a Connemara Stud. We had plenty of time to explore the countryside on bicycles or on foot. There were usually bicycles available to us in the shed on the farms.
The one farm we were staying on we were warned the entrance was very sharp and going in was not too difficult but coming out could be a problem. The proprietors of the caravan had told us we could give them a call if necessary to assist with the departure angles. Billy was waiting for me and seemed to be eager to get going. We knew today was "bad hill" day. We had know idea things could go horribly wrong even before we hit the road.

When I started leading Billy towards the gate I said to Buddy that Billy was not himself. He seemed to be nervous and on edge. We checked everything out to ensure nothing on the harness was hurting him - all seemed to be fine. Then without warning - Billy and I were flying in one direction, Buddy was running as if the hounds of hell were after him and the caravan was gaining momentum - backwards down the winding driveway. finally managing to get Billy settled and calm, Buddy and I looked at each other in horror. With trepidation we headed down to the caravan - expecting it to be smashed against the stone wall. With a huge sigh of relief we realized it had hit a barbed wire fence and a tree - and there was only minimal damage to the back.

Now what!
Only one thing we could do - put Billy back into the field and try and get hold of someone to help us. I eventually got hold of one of the owners and I could hear the disbelief in his voice when I told them the shafts had snapped off the caravan. At this stage I got the giggles - I couldn't wait to see their faces when they saw it was not just a snapped leather rein or a broken buckle that they were muttering about in the back ground! I was then told not to put Billy back in the paddock - too late - he was already there with a very puzzled expression on his face..........Buddy was very concerned about Billy - but I assured him that Billy was fine and had just been unsettled at the sudden lack of weight behind him.

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”