Stop the World I Wanna Get Off: My Escape to KTP

ExFmem

Stop the World I Wanna Get Off: My Escape to KTP

Post by ExFmem »

Remember when we all ate cake after someone blew on it? Ah, the good ‘ol days. The world is changing faster than I’m comfortable with, and in a direction that causes me great consternation. I needed a respite from all the chaos….

Left to fend for myself, I lugged all my baggage up and down ramps, escalators, up Mount Everest and over the Alps. Or so it seemed. And who knew rigor mortis set in before you are even dead?!

At long last, 43 hours after my initial flight out of Florida, I arrived at the gates of the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park ready to begin my solo safari.

ExFmem

Re: Stop the World I Wanna Get Off: My Escape to KTP

Post by ExFmem »

The many faces of Mother Nature:

Some of the most adorable faces I saw were on my very first game drive, and also taught me something I didn’t know about Lanner Falcons.

They use old nests of other birds such as eagles, vultures, and crows. Typically they only breed once per year, laying 2 - 5 eggs. Incubation of eggs until hatching is 33 - 34 days. Chicks fledge between 41 - 46 days. Both parents participate in rearing duties.

There is a collection of nests on the Nossob side (not too far from TweeR) where I have usually seen a Martial Eagle in trips past. I pulled into the side road and looked carefully, seeing nothing at first glance. Further scrutiny revealed some fuzzy white “somethings” moving about….Lanner Falcon chicks. It was fun to watch them grow over time.

Lanner pair at nest site

This pic confuses me a bit, as it looks like a very young falcon - maybe they have their first brood at such a young age??

I first saw the chicks on 9/22/21

CHICKS 11 DAYS LATER

CHICKS 14 DAYS LATER

As many moms say, "They grow up so fast!"

nan

Post by nan »

:ty: ExFmem, great start ^Q^
love all, but particularly the Falcons, "Mother nature" of course and Kudu having the same thinking that mine... looking as far as possible... far ahead..... so far......
I deplore the poor Hyena and of course the fire.... what a desaster, for Mother nature in general :-( :no:

well done to do all by yourselves... I know is doable \O

0()

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Awww, Ex, I don't even know where to begin... wonderful photos as usual, that's for sure. But sorry to hear that you were left to enjoy all of the wonders by yourself. Not that you hadn't done it before, but I always cherish celebrating the exciting news of the day by talking them through over and over again with the SO. Guess, you had to do that with yourself. lol

That hyena is really a sight, alas, not a very pretty one. Amazing though that it seems to pull through with the condition it is in. What might have happened to it... clan fight... lion encounter - who knows. (Although I'm inclined to think the hyena might have gotten too brazen and was taught by the matriach of the family.)

Those lanner chicks - awesome!!! I always marvel at how fast birds become adult looking. No matter what the species, they grow up really fast.

You have no idea how happy you make me with this travel tale. O0 O\/ It's been way too long /ou/

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Great start ^Q^ ^Q^

We saw that same hyena near Rooiputs in May

Wishing I was in the KTP
harrys

Post by harrys »

Wonderful KTP start, Cool photos of the Falcons ^Q^ ^Q^

KTP: Twee Rivieren 12 to 13 May
KNP: May be one day again??
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

MARVELLOUS!

To see the chicks grow is impressing \O

That was a loooong trip :shock: Where did you stop over?

Travelling alone the luggage is an important handicap O/ With my bad back I simply could not do it, if it wasn't for the marvellous thing called wheelchair service O/\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

This looks like the customary treat of a trip report, Ex! ^Q^ O\/ O/\

Great story and pics so far!

Love the falcons, and the hyena! :shock:

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Simply WoW ExFmem :-0 :-0 :-0

those falcon chicks are incredible \O

All your shots are fantastic 0() :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

nan, thank you for joining me on this solo trip - you were always one of my inspirations to undertake such a trip, with your grit and determination. O0

Mel, yes, the main downer (other than lugging pounds of camera equiptmt. with my little ‘ol chicken legs) of the trip was the evenings spent without the customary fire, the sundowners, the laughter, and recalling wonderful and sometimes not so wonderful events of the day. But I knew before I made my decision to go ahead alone that would be the case, so no regrets at all.

Yes, you’re spot on about the hyena - seems to have healed and adjusted quite well - more pics to come, but I believe she was also pregnant -O- at the time. There’s no accounting for taste…. O**

I’m waiting for YOUR TT next year!! :yes:

Gavin - thanks for the comments! I’m enjoying your TT as well.

harrys - yeah, never seen Lanner chicks before, so I was “chuffed” as ya’ll say

Sis, yes it was a long trip - I had obviously planned it all throughout the year, and would not have stayed that long if I had known it would be just me. BUT - in SO’s defense, Karma caught up with me on a few occasions when I fully appreciated his objections to “just sitting, doing nothing”. I had a 12 1/2 HOUR layover at OR Tambo @#$ …the lounge wasn’t open as the desk wasn’t open yet. You can only stare at a computer/Kindle screen for so long… He’s an energetic guy and I wouldn’t have it any different!

RP, thanks for the comments

Pumbaa, I so appreciate your input, thank you!

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”