The Great Escape

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: The Great Escape

Post by Mel »

Hahaha, I had the same thoughts about the terrapin... forgot to get off the hippos back. Hilarious capture O:V

No. 16 (I do that for myself to keep track ^0^ )

You saying you got a bit better over the time at spotting leos is a serious understatement. I cannot imagine that you didn't find each and any along the routes you drove lol

Stately nyala. Love them. Love that shaggy fur on them. :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Thanks PJL,

those lions had chosen a wonderful spot \O Also love the warthogs X#X

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Hi PJL, just caught up with your trip. You had amazing sightings and spectacular cat sightings!! O/\ O/\ Your leopard and cheetah pics are fantastic!! ^Q^ ^Q^

PJL

Post by PJL »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:58 pm The expression of the vervet kid is priceless lol

Also the passenger who missed the last water stop is hilarious =O: =O: Like some people falling asleep in the bus/train returning from work, who end up at the terminal 0*\

"Dead" leopards don't count :no:

The one lion looks miserable :-(
No dead leopards there Lis ^0^ =O: =O:
Richprins wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:52 pm Brilliant installment, Peej! ^Q^

=O: =O: The terrapin!

And a plethora of cats! :shock: (You know what a plethora is?)

The first scrawny lion pic is great as there is a difference in lighting on the centre lion? -O- [O]
Yes some interesting lighting in the riverbed RP :yes:
RogerFraser wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:21 pm :shock: More Lions.

We also saw elephants doing similar along the H7 near Orpen preferring to drink from the dugout holes rather than the open water pools .Suspect the pools water is not the cleanest so they prefer the sand filtered water .

That Terrapin is =O: =O: should go in the fumy animal pics competition for sure lol
Interesting about the sand filtered water Roger... perhaps the cats are fussy as well lol lol
Mel wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:37 am Hahaha, I had the same thoughts about the terrapin... forgot to get off the hippos back. Hilarious capture O:V

No. 16 (I do that for myself to keep track ^0^ )

You saying you got a bit better over the time at spotting leos is a serious understatement. I cannot imagine that you didn't find each and any along the routes you drove lol

Stately nyala. Love them. Love that shaggy fur on them. :-0
Thanks Mel... No 16 indeed. We weren't lucky enough to spot them all ourselves... a few traffic jams gave some away as is always the case. But we definitely found quite a few more by ourselves than previously!
Pumbaa wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:48 pm Thanks PJL,

those lions had chosen a wonderful spot \O Also love the warthogs X#X
Thanks Pumbaa \O
Lots of warthog this trip which we found unusual, as previous visits we had hardly seen any -O-
Flutterby wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:10 am Hi PJL, just caught up with your trip. You had amazing sightings and spectacular cat sightings!! O/\ O/\ Your leopard and cheetah pics are fantastic!! ^Q^ ^Q^
0/* Flutts
Thanks - we really did have a great trip for cats this time round \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

Saturday July 17th contd

After a farewell lunch on the deck at Skukuza we took our last afternoon drive down to Lower Sabie and back. After all the cat excitement of the morning, it was a quieter drive down with just some ground hornbill and a jackal being the sightings of note

At the low level bridge near Lower Sabie there was the usual crocodile and monitor sightings O:V

The drive back up the H4-1 was also fairly quiet until we rounded a corner and spotted something glowing on the rocks in the riverbed O\/ O\/

He seemed to be in a bit of a daydream whilst soaking up the last rays of sunshine, and didn’t move or look around at all. We tried a few different places to get a better view, but he was rather hard to see through the bush at the side of the road. Even so, it was a magnificent sighting for the end of our trip \O

Time was against us, so we couldn’t hang around by the leopard. Further up the road we found a bit of vehicle congestion and discovered that a lion had been on the road. It moved off into the bushes and we got a bad proof pic as it wandered off down towards the river

We had also been fortunate with another sighting of these rarities during the day O/\ O/\

As the sun set on our visit we were amazed at the sightings Kruger had thrown our way this time round. X#X

After an enjoyable evening braai we took a night walk down to the deck where there had been all sorts of hyena noises. We managed to find them at one end of the walkway in the torchlight, then on the way back saw a porcupine and lastly had a bushbaby run out of the restaurant!

Packing up the next morning for the long drive back home I was secretly hoping that we might find wild dogs as it was the one animal we seemed to have missed out on this trip. It wasn't to be unfortunately but we certainly weren't complaining after what had been an incredible array of sightings over our 12 days in the park.

Thank you to each one of you who has followed along and/or commented on this TR… I hope you enjoyed it even half as much as we did \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Kruger gave you almost everything there is to see and was especially very generous with spotted ones not to mention lions.......and you want doggies too? What an ungrateful spoiled brat you are :twisted: --00-- lol lol lol

Thank you, P. it was a great trip and you got some incredible shots too ^Q^ ^Q^ It makes me want to book a flight right away ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Another leopard!! O/\ How many did you see in total?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Great farewells, Peej! ^Q^ ^Q^

have seen a leopard on those same rocks, i'm sure! :-0

So the trip is over... :no: :-(

But what a trip! X#X X#X X#X

Thank you so much for the wonderful report and pics, it really was a Great Escape and reward for your efforts! :ty:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Thanks so much, PJL,

for a fantastic trip report and WoW with what a day you said good-bye :-0 Brilliant leopard shots and sighting X#X

Love also the monitor, the ground hornbill, the jackal and the rhinos :yes:

Until the next time 0()

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
PJL

Post by PJL »

Flutterby wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm Another leopard!! O/\ How many did you see in total?
17 in total Flutts :shock: :shock: O/\ O/\
15 of them had photographic proof which I thought was a very good ratio X#X

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”