Aat & Elly Stories 1 to 20 *

aat

Aat & Elly Story 16 - ALL in the Lion Family

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***
This is not a day to day TR, all stories are based on sightings during our last trip from november 26th 2011 till december 14th 2011.

Story 16 – All in the LION Family….

I promised you to come up with more cubs and I like to do what I promised.
So another story and this time just about a wonderful Lion family.

We were staying in Satara and this day we decided to go south for a breakfast in Crocodile Bridge. So we woke up very early and left Satara , following the main road south, going left after Tshokwane and over the hills down to Lower Sabie.
On the H10 … what a nice road it is for us… we spotted a male Lion, still a bit sleepy, laying down in the grass.
Seeing a male lion is always great but at the same time you look around if there are more lions nearby.

But first… the Male as we found him

-
-

Just a few minutes later some noice ….. produced by lady lioness
Coming from out of nothing she suddenly was there with a very friendly look at her face… Ei

-
-

It was just 05:30 in the morning… and what a start of the day…
A couple in love but not too much activity between the two lions….
Was there a reason ? -O-
Yes there was a very good reason, two lovely cubs appeared after mother’s calling

-
-

Mhhhh believe me…you feel happy with a morning view breakfast with a male lion and lioness and our eye vitamines were even more filled after looking at these two cubs.

Buttttt….. it is not over yet… eyes to the left by a movement and look what was sitting there..
Yes, cub number 3 O**

-
-

Cubs are always hungry and moms had to go down for her babies
Wowww… we were just saying to each other … a trip with many lions and more specific many cubs… and I hear you thinking..”never enough cubs to look at”
So I love to share these pictures with you , specially for the mothers :D :D

-
-

Mmmm… 3 cubs drinking with mom. Looking at it I realized we haven’t seen such a scene that many times so it was a great moment.

-
-

You never get enough of this isn’t it ? , so a bit more closer

-
-

And then this weird thing… thinking we were looking at her and the cubs all the time and thinking we counted 3 cubs…. Moms got on her feet and moved on forward, followed by the kids…then we produced some kind of HUHHHHHHHHHHH???? And at the same time we said “there are 4 cubs” !! O/\ O/\

-
-

Really we were so surprised about this, but a very very nice surprise, well, you can imagine

Back to daddy …what was he doing… well Daddy was still laying down, leaving all the care to Moms but a proud look at his face…. You could see him thinking, 3 days of making love and 4 children… not baddy for daddy X#X

-
-

From that moment off the Cubs-Show started. You remember in one of the previous story with two cubs I got the feeling we were maybe one of the first humans in their life.. well, I got this same feeling here. The way they were looking at us , so curious , big eyes and so , so lovely
Let’s start the show O** O**

All 4 coming a bit closer…a bit hesitating

-
-

and

-
-

Could not resist to make a close up of one of these cuties…not so easy, it was very early and the light was not that good

-
-

4 brothers and sisters , all together now…all together now O/\ O/\

-
-

Keeping them all 4 together ? try with little children… no way, but 3 is not really bad

-
-

With some luck… all 4 again

-
-

and so cute… so nice sitting down and just being a little bit curious… Ei

-
-

4 cubs, 4 individuals, some laying down and sure at least one too curious and coming closer and closer

-
-

In the mean time lady and mother was looking proudly at her kids… with a look like “it’s OK” \O

-
-

So close and so cute asking for another picture

-
-

Moms was getting on her feet and decided “come on kids, come with me” ^Q^

-
-

and like all children do, they listen to moms !! -O

-
-

and

-
-

and Daddy ? He did not move , still laying down and saying “Life id good” X#X

-
-

Like always I hope you liked this story too.
Another story soon…..think so, with unexpected species maybe ???

Aat & Elly

Many other pictures of last en other trips:
My Wildlife Photography Site
http://www.awv-photography.com

My Tuskers of Africa site with all named Tuskers of Kruger
https://www.tuskersofafrica.com
Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
aat

Aat & Elly Story 16 - 12 of a kind

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***
This is not a day to day TR, all stories are based on sightings during our last trip from november 26th 2011 till december 14th 2011.

Story 65 – 12 of a kind-

Back to Kruger from november 11th till december 11th 2012 ...yesssssssss

RP... no mr green this time ok

After many Cat stories it’s time to meet many different antelopes, some you see often and some you don’t see that often…speaking to some people in kruger , even after many years they haven’t seen some ever.

Let’s start with an antelope we used to see. I must say that seeing Kudu’s is one thing , to photograph them and getting nice pics is smething else… they usually walk away, you see them from behind or hidden after branches etc…
This one was just crossing the road and payed some attention to us

-
-

From Kudu to a small antelope… Steenbuck

-
-

This antelope almost never give you the opportunity to get your camera ready in time, that’s why his name is Duiker (Diving away…running away) If you see him / her it’s the backside…but lucky this time

-
-

Impala , everywhere and sometimes they do pose so nicely , you can’t resist to make a photo

-
-

The next one is the Waterbuck, common but depending on location and background this one was asking me for presenting him in this story.

-
-

Coming to the ones “Tsessebe” we don’t see everywhere in KNP. We found this mother taking care of her baby in the Mopani area.

-
-

and

-
-

Another day this mother with two youngsters hiding in the shadow.

-
-

And then…. Another day in the Mopani area, taking the Old Main Road just after waterhole Tihongonyeni (Capricorn Loop). It was very early in the morning , just woke up and could not believe my eyes…. Sable ? Here ??? Yesss , first time we saw Sable in the northern section.

-
-

They did not show themselves that well as the ones we saw near the S36 but…so special…
And curious they are…first walking away but turning around to see who was looking at them

-
-

and

-
-

Same day and a bit rainy… driving to Shingwedzi along the road we found Nyala. Beautiful antelopes , specially the males.

-
-

and

-
-

and

-
-

A new day and new opportunities…we went to Tihongonyeni to see if we could find some tuskers….no..not that day, butttttttt…………. Yes… Eland ! A bit far but to nice to keep it away from you so showing you the best pictures I could make with 400mm by hand…

-
-

Funny to see when you prepare a photo for this story to find another species … a jackall at the left…

-
-

We could count 9 in total but not all were good visible

-
-

and

-
-

As said …they were far… and I made a stupid mistake… We saw these Eland from the waterhole… if we had followed the road we could have seen them much better… and closer… this was a real BLOOPER from me !

-
-

and

-
-

Male was laying down and not really showing himself… at the end he raised and run away , followed by his wives and youngster

-
-

Last shot

-
-

Still angry about this mistake grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

But let’s continue…. Told you about difficulty with Duikers….well , did they change their behaviour or just lucky again….this one was not paying attention at all… “dummy” but nice for me

-
-

after the camera click….I only saw some dust….gone with the wind…

Driving the small roads…near Mopani and almost hidden, this Tsessebe was asking for a “shot” …

-
-

Mhhhh still missing one of the large antelopes. Just talking about them during a drive in the Mopani area. We almost got used to see Roan but so far no luck… then from left to right some Roan crossed the road and disappeared in the thick bush, just one was friendly enough to show his head…. So captured and thanks…. Big 3 Antelopes in one area (Eland, Roan and Sable)

-
-

Another nice surprise… not far from Satara we found these Nyala’s. We haven’t seen them often in this area so big eyes.

-
-

and

-
-

In the southern area not far from Skukuza we saw this Bushbuck crossing at the left side. Just trying to capture him he decided to cross the road as quickly as possible…. So, this time only a flying Bushbuck…

-
-

I really loved this view …. So like to share it with you

-
-

almost coming to the end… our last day and another nice surprise… number 12 of the antelopes, the Klipspringer (rockjumper) and what made it so nice is the fact they were posing at the rocks as it should be …

-
-

-
-

-
-

Getting closer to Pretoriuskop, last minutes in Kruger …direction gate… they drive we always Hate!!
A nice goodbye from another Klipspringer couple

-
-

This was 12 of a kind …. Next story … yes…about what… I don’t know …smileeeee

Aat & Elly

Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
aat

Aat & Elly Story 17 - The Other Ones -

Post by aat »

@ All... thanks for all the comments !!

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 17 – The Other Ones -

My stories written and shared with you about all kind of species we have seen. Where are the forgotten ones ? Species we probably see often but not taking time to capture them or trying to but results are not that good… Some fly or run away or you just can’t take the right pictures from your car. It happens all the time.

I “walked” through my pictures from last trip and like to share these with you.

Let’s start with a snake we met during our first few hours, just somewhere on the road.
I don’t know what kind he or she is , but I am sure one of you know the name

-
-

Warthogs…. You see them everywhere… I liked this scene with moms and 6 kids

-
-

Another one we all recognize in all kind of situations… I selected this picture because he came close and was posing well.

-
-

And what to think about mother and baby posing so nicely , the big eyes of the baby.

-
-

Interesting to see the Big Business of a Dung Beetle, lovely to see other animals using the mega-tons of dung dropped by the elephants.

-
-

In all restcamps you see them…no introduction needed…just lovely watching them.

-
-

Out of the car to capture these butterflies. Not easy… ready to shoot and gone, moving , blurr…sometimes you’re lucky like this with two of them together.

-
-

No cat or antelope crossing the road but a Chameleon. For me time to stop and watching him (or her) with that special walk. Yes…no…forward / backward and yesssss one step and so on and so on…. (in the mean time waving to roadmaniacs to be carefull !)
The colours…so beautiful , I really like them

-
-

Since this one was taking all the time and I decided to copy that…taking all the time to get this portrait

-
-

Talking about taking all the time and why not , it’s holiday , it’s getting green in Kruger , flowering started and worth to show you some flowers

-
-

and

-
-

and

-
-

I don’t know the names of these flowers but among you ? I am sure !

Not really roadrunners but like other small ones…try to capture them and see… head away, turning their backside to you, getting in the high grass so you almost don’t see them and so on. Opportunities likes these ? I stop and say “thanks” to them. I always keep in mind that without the small ones there are no big ones , without the small ones there is no real Kruger.
(mhhhh how to get this in the “brains” of the people who are driving too fast on the roads ??)

-
-

and somewhere else his cousin

-
-

After a long day, tired and just laying in bed… you hear something Elly ? “Yes”… what can that be…? It’s always us (men) who have to go out again for a look… taking your torchlight and then looking into this face…. ehhhhhhhhhhhh

-
-

and

-
-

Yes, it is Satara camp… and yes I forgot to trow something away..

Tortoises are not that fast but there are species even slower and crossing a road is almost suicide for them, a Giant Snale on the road after some rain.

-
-

Ending this story about the other ones with a lovely sunset at Satara

-
-

Hope you liked this story, recognizing most species I think
Next story … something like a fairy tale

Aat & Elly

aat

Aat & Elly Story 18 - TIHONGONYENI -

Post by aat »

Thanks all for the comments.... will think about it RP , but are you so curious to the rest of your family ? =O: =O:

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 18 – Tihongonyeni -

Hi all…. Took some time to get to next story.
Do I have a good excuse ? Yes, caused by you… :twisted:
I received a lot of Tusker ID requests and since I like these magnificent friends a lot they are priority nr 1. Result is a lot of updates at my tusker site. O/\

For the ones reading this story and don’t know where I am talking about…try my tusker site
http://www.tuskersofafrica.com
You will find all named tuskers of Kruger and other areas.

Going through the pictures I made during last trip the idea for this story was born. I am going to take you with me to Mopani and more specific the Tihongonyeni waterhole area.
It’s one of my favorite places in Kruger NP. Why…? Well answer is easy … as said I love tuskers and in this area I met a lot of my friends during previous visits. When we arrived this time in the south I emailed some of the tuskers to meet again so I was curious if they keep their promises. :-?

Let’s roll…. Driving the Capricorn Loop to the garden of Eden for tuskers and let’s see what we find… so jump in the car and enjoy.

I just told you that I received a lot of pictures of tuskers with ID requests… well I am going to show you how to capture a tusker properly. Most of you never learn !! O**

First of all ask the tusker to pose in different positions and tell him to locate himself so you don’t have to remember where you have seen him. O** O** His name ? NWAMBU

-
-

After the photoshoot you say thank you to the tusker like I did and you can see he liked that very much looking so friendly to me. :O^

-
-

After this lesson (for free this time) we move on to Tihongonyeni waterhole. And what a surprise , the waterhole area has changed. This water, in front of the original concrete waterhole was not there last time. As a result we have seen many many buffalo here… sometimes it was a queue of buffalo herdes.
I love to show you the landscape with the interaction between the Heavy Weights and the Buffalo Bills

This bull really likes the new guests a lot… :shock:

-
-

Tradition and New situation
The bulls still like the concrete waterhole, the buffalo enjoy their new muddy water area

-
-

Then… mhhhh what are we going to do with this situation…do we allow the buffalo or chasing them away ? :-?

-
-

and

-
-

Let’s talk about this my friend , what do you think ? :-?

-
-

Answer…we will wipe the buffalo away :twisted:

-
-

Hahahahaha….we did it…. O/\ O/\

-
-

Mhhhhh as old bull I prefer a peacefull area without all these buffalo ^0^

-
-

In this area you can see many bulls but sometimes the ladies show up with their families

-
-

and … 3 generations together

-
-

And then this nice promising tusker :D :D

-
-

Driving a few km’s on the Old Main road , suddenly this guy coming out of the thick bush.
Collar and nice big left tusk… I could not know that this tusker was MPENZA… later at home receiving pictures from others I realized that Mpenza lost his right tusk :-(

-
-

Another day and who was showing himself again? NWAMBU. You see when you are friendly to them like first meeting they are friendly to you , he came very close , this picture is without any cropping or zooming… just near the car… who said I am a tusker whisperer …. O** O**

-
-

A little further another tusker showed up… MASASANA. Not really posing that well but ok…first time I met this guy so next time maybe better.

-
-

Time for some landscape / tihongonyeni impressions….

-
-

and

-
-

Bulls do walk on their own or in groups (with askari’s) and sometimes together with a friend

-
-

As a group

-
-

-
-

How funny , Third time in a few days my new friend NWAMBU saying hello after a shower and a mud-bath

-
-

Mixed with buffalo around

-
-

and

-
-

and

-
-

Let’s finish the stories with two very good tusker friends… I just missed the right timing but so nice to see these big boys again… a bit weird to meet them 3 trips on a row .. it gives that special feeling , difficult to explain ;-) ;-)

First MARHUMBINI
-
-

and later on almost running out of time for closing time at Mopani
NSHAWANI , you just can see his big right tusk

-
-

Hope you liked the Tihongonyeni tour and maybe a little understanding of my fascination for Tuskers.
FYI .. In other stories I showed many other species we have seen in this area, like Lions, Tsessebe , Eland, Roan and Sable antelopes
Kruger NP is great, Tihongonyeni even better \O

Aat & Elly

aat

Re: Aat & Elly Story 18 - TIHONGONYENI -

Post by aat »

Flutterby,
Very good question !
You can't say just yes or no to this. It depends very much what caused the loss os a tusk.
Breaking a tusk does not hurt. If they have an infection close to the root of the the tusk that can hurt and even can cause the death of an elephant. An infection can cause the loss of a tusk but can also end up "move" on to his mouth with all kind of results. Then there is another danger if they break a tusk and it is going to "rotten away" from the inside causing infections and finally can kill an elephant.
Flutterby wrote:Aat, would you know if it hurts when they lose a tusk? :-?

aat

Aat & Elly Story 19 -COME and GO -

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 19 – Come and Go -

Helloooooooooooo
Some time ago isn’t it ? Well, next to a full time job I have been watching the Olympics over the last few weeks….and I enjoyed it and ….. a load of tusker pictures filled my mailbox resulting in many updates of my Big friends.

But it is time now to write a new story. The title is based on what we experienced and for the first time the pictures will tell the whole story, so no much comments or narrating by me… I hope you will enjoy it….

Situation and location: It was morning , not that early near Mpondo dam (southern section of KNP). We just left Mpondo dam after watching some birds, kudu and a rhino family.
On the way back we heard something coming our way and yes a roadblock ahead…. Buffalo !

Not that difficult to guess they were heading to the dam so decision made and back to our first class seats on top of a small hill ready to see them coming.

Amazing so many animals can be so quiet …

Here we go … starting with the roadblock

-
-

-
-

As said we returned to a good position at the dam and it was just waiting for the first ones to arrive

-
-

From that moment on….hundreds and hundreds of buffalo came over the hill …

-
-

and

-
-

and the were coming….and coming

-
-

You are looking at this exactly as we did … sharing a sighting bit by bit…

-
-

You can see the number of buffalo is growing every minute….
(I was listening to a song by Kate Bush … with the well known words “Running up that hill….”)

-
-

and the first ones were walking into the water…. Still it was quiet…so amazing.

-
-

More and more…. The old bulls ahead… mothers with their babies and kids following

-
-

-
-

Preparing this picture it almost felt like looking at a painting…

-
-

The big “tube” filled with buffalo… still arriving…hundreds of them in the water

-
-

Peacefull… you could see them enjoying their daily bath

-
-

So many together … sharing this water and no fights…no noise (almost)

-
-

And still coming over the hill… a really big herd

-
-

We were staying there for some time and looking at still arriving buffalo…the first arrivals started to leave the water…

-
-

and

-
-

Zooming it a bit at a part of the herd…

-
-

Packed together but no sign of irritation , all faces at “nice”

-
-

and suddenly… they started turning their bodies… following the leader(s) and leaving the water

-
-

Amazing to see all these buffalo turning and leaving the water same way as they arrived… almost no noise … quiet…. And again hundreds and hundreds leaving….

-
-

A last view

-
-

Well…. A different kind of story but looking at the pictures I felt like “I have to share these moments with you”
Maybe not that exiting like the big cats but believe me …this was special too

See you around later on for another story
Aat & Elly

aat

Re: Aat & Elly Story 18 - TIHONGONYENI -

Post by aat »

RP,
Agree with your observations...
Watching big herds it comes to me that it is very well organized.... older experienced bulls with learning younger ones at the front and at the end of the herd.... in the middle the ladies with the babies and young ones...protected by bulls and females.
Also how quiet they move forward and yes when they split in smaller groups almost same kind of organization.
When they arrive at a place to drink or sleep older bulls are spreading out like "watchers"

I was watching a big herd ones , years ago when they arrived in a almost dry riverbed and most were laying down / sleeping / relaxing.... only older bulls all around to look-out for danger.
It;s great to look at this , well organized herds.

Richprins wrote:Have also watched this sort of thing a few times, and wonder if you concur on the following points, aat?:

- Other herbivores dash away when a big herd arrives, or are chased away if they don't, depending on how dry it is.

- Normally a gang of big bulls are in the lead, and go far into the water and hang around there the whole time while the cows and calves come later and drink behind them. They are also the LAST to leave.

- At some stage the MAIN bull arrives, with a couple of attendants, and does his own thing a little way away from the herd.

- Depending on the size of water available, and possible lion in the area, the herd may come down in "shifts", fifty to a hundred or so at a time, with the main body staying within the treeline.

Thoughts?

aat

Aat & Elly Story 19 -Nice and Lovely -

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 19 – Lovely they are -

Hi to all,
It’s has been some time ago but another story is ready to present.

This story is about an animal we love or hate, we say how nice and others say “ugly”.
I like them, specially when you get the opportunity to watch them as a family, how they socialize and their behaviour.

This trip we have seen plenty of them so I selected some pictures to tell the story.

Not far from Crocodile Bridge , late afternoon we found a Hyena den with 12 hyena’s sleeping, playing and walking around. Some older ones and many youngsters.

Well… let’s show them

-
-

6 together

-
-

Younsters greeting and asking …”anything for dinner ?”

-
-

If you are young enough you can find some food with mom

-
-

another older one suddenly appeared and saying hello

-
-

and more in detail….

-
-

Another day another location …..
Captured these 3 Hyena’s not far from the road
Liked the expression on the face of this younster
-
-
and

-
-

and looking at me …

-
-

Another one a few meters ahead adorable or ?

-
-

and

-
-

Mom did not look that happy but was posing nicely

-
-

Driving the small roads near Crocodile Bridge we found the Hyena family again and lovely enough to show a few others of the family

-
-

Do I hear something ?

-
-

and

-
-

No alarm …so let’s sleep…

-
-

Other youngsters arrived and just checking…are you a brother or sister ?

-
-

Finding a spot close to mom , you never know …

-
-

Up in the north … mom laying down after enjoying a big meal….

-
-

and her baby curious about that “thing” and like many try…checking the tires…

-
-

Early morning … sleeping on the road…

-
-

Who are you….? Too lazy to stand up but checking you can be done this way…

-
-

Mhhhhh I don’t like be disturbed … don’t like you…grrrr

-
-

Last one getting away from the road…. Looks like this one did not like me either

-
-

And just before getting into the bush this one looked at me …byeeeee

-
-

The day before we left during sunset…. With the golden light on these two

-
-

Sleep well to all and see you next time

-
-

So this time no Hyena’s with bloody faces, looking nasty or ugly but trying to give you an impression of their social live. I really liked the expressions on their faces…
I just hope you like it too

See you around for next story….
Aat & Elly

aat

Re: Aat & Elly Story 19 - Nice and Lovely -

Post by aat »

Hi Flutterby,
Thanks and I like to share this with all and looks like specially with you since you love them a lot \O
Flutterby wrote:I love hyenas!! ^Q^ Granted...they may not be the prettiest animals, especially the older ones, but I still love them!! Tx for sharing!! \O \O

aat

Re: Aat & Elly Story 19 - Nice and Lovely -

Post by aat »

I can't force you to like them I know... so I hope you like the story just a little bit... X#X
Lisbeth wrote:Hyenas are admirable mothers, I respect them and as everything in Nature they have their role, but I cannot say that I really like them ;-)

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”