Flutterby

Re: SA hunters want to clean image

Post by Flutterby »

I'll keep my thoughts to myself! :evil:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

But the industry has an obvious image problem. It struggles to convince the public that shooting individual animals does not threaten species.
The image problem isn't bad enough already, it seems. Looking at the figures mentioned, there are still too many who are not convinced that hunting could threatend species. All depends on how the hunting is done. Using snares certainly is a threat to species. :evil:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Hunting play a very importat role in conservation. Unfortunately a few bad apples taint the name of all!!! We have to prevent generalisation! There is also a few developments in the hunting and game farming industry that I will share with you once its official! Should this, and the prospect look good, come through there will have to be a major shift in policy from government side towards conservation!! I have seen the documents, memos etc and on paper it looks good - now to make it look this good in reality!!

Obviously hunting any endangered animal is bad, and any above board hunter will agree. Trust me I know a lot of them!! Dont shoot anything endangered, in a cage, what you havent tracked down on foot, and whatever you will not use!!! That is the policy for most hunters!

I would feel more optimistic of a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority - EB White
Flutterby

Zambia Cancels All Trophy Hunting Licences

Post by Flutterby »

Fingers Off the Trigger: Zambia Cancels All Trophy Hunting Licences
by Ian Michler on January 7, 2013 in Hunting, News

Towards the end of last week Zambian wildlife authorities suspended the tender process for hunting concessions and cancelled all hunting licences for the foreseeable future.

According to sources and local news reports, Minister of Tourism and Arts Sylvia Masebo has based her decision on corruption and malpractices between the hunting companies and various government departments. She also fired the Director-General of the Zambian Wildlife Authority (ZAWA), Edwin Matokwani, as well as a number of other officials, and has instigated an in-depth criminal investigation of ZAWA and other wildlife bodies.

According to the Minister, she has received widespread support for her actions.

There seems to be confusion about the time period involved, with some sources stating that the suspension is only for a year. Others have suggested that the cancellation may be extended to five years in order to allow a thorough review of the hunting industry and the role it plays in Zambia. Sources have also indicated that the authorities are in serious discussions with outside wildlife bodies, with a view to them playing a more significant role in managing Zambia’s parks and reserves.

These actions come just 14 months after the previous board of ZAWA was dissolved by the newly elected president, Michael Sata, and indicate that Zambia has still not rid itself of the cartels that are rumoured to have dominated hunting in that country for decades.

I would certainly encourage the Zambian authorities to use this opportunity to take a closer look at the Botswana model that has recently stopped trophy hunting altogether. In the long term, photographic options offer far superior benefits at every level.

These developments are no doubt linked to confirmation earlier in the week that Zambian authorities have also established that foreign-registered light aircraft are involved in smuggling wildlife out of the country. Using small landing strips, these flights also violate Zambian airspace as they are being undertaken without authorised flight plans.

Readers of Africa Geographic magazine will recall my article, Sable Shenanigans (February 2012) on the 200-plus sable, owned by a South African wildlife breeding and hunting consortium, that still remain corralled outside Lusaka. In that piece, I mentioned the possibility of illegal flights taking young sable calves out of the country as the syndicate was desperate to start making money on their investment in the animals. The sable deal has direct links to the trophy hunting industry – the primary motivation for South African breeders to be involved is to supply sables with longer horns so that hunters will pay higher prices for their kills.

Given these developments, and the recent changes to the hunting laws in Botswana, it is perhaps appropriate to address the attitude recently expressed by the Vice-Chairman of the Confederation of Hunters Associations of South Africa. In early December, reports in South African newspapers quoted him on the ‘misconceptions’ the public has of the image of the hunting industry. He went on to state that these are pedalled by ‘fringe elements, animal rightist elements’ and that ‘animal rightists play on emotion’.

Firstly, how does the Vice-Chairman reconcile his comments on misconceptions with the reality of what is taking place in Zambia right now – and the role of South African operators in Zambia’s wildlife affairs for that matter? The articles also quoted him as suggesting that ‘a lot could be done to educate the urban public to the reality of hunting’. It is my experience Mr Vice-Chairman that much of the public opinion is based on facts such as those coming from Zambia. If education needs to take place, may I suggest it also include hunters and their clients?

Which leads into my second point. The Vice-Chairman and the hunting fraternity at large need to start accepting that there is a growing opposition to the practices of trophy hunting, and this is based on a variety of legitimate concerns that cover science and ecology as well as issues involving philosophies, principles and ethics. These are not going to go away – in fact, the questions and opposition will continue to grow.

And finally, if this type of puerile and reactionary drivel put forward by the Vice-Chairman is going to remain the standard response from so many within the hunting fraternity to legitimate questions on what they do and how they do it, then we will see the end of trophy hunting far sooner than those that pull the triggers would wish.

iNdlovu

Re: Zambia Cancels All Trophy Hunting Licences

Post by iNdlovu »

Oh, I love this ^Q^ ^Q^ could this be a catalyst in exposing all kinds of irregularities in South Africa as well?

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Right, that's Zambia on my must go to places to visit for wildlife watching this year.

Well done Zambia. \O

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Lets go find that Shoebill in Zambia Dewi \O

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

High up on my wish list iNdy. \O

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

First Botswana, now Zambia!! ^Q^ Come on South Africa!! 0= 0=

Return to “Hunting”