Anthrax outbreak in KNP

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Kruger anthrax outbreak contained

Post by Richprins »

Sprocky wrote:
"We are only vaccinating the roan antelopes because they are a rare species and we must protect them."

On Tuesday, Mabasa said the carcasses were found at the weekend in an enclosure created for breeding.

"We are burning the carcasses and also vaccinating the other animals," he said.
Spoke to someone today, and they haven't vaccinated anything since the early 90's...

Now is too late! At least Roan in Camps should have been innoculated from the word go...they are incredibly Anthrax-prone, and one doesn't even need to aneasthetise them, the vaccine is administered by dart gun and is a tried and trusted practice! :evil:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Sprocky

Re: Anthrax outbreak in the north of the KNP

Post by Sprocky »

So once again it is a case of his royal Mabasa lying to the press!! :evil:

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

No, they may be vaccinating now...just too late! -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Well, let's just hope that they have contained it! :O^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Am still trying to get to terms with this statement that roan have been bred in the "Capricorn Camp"...

It is expensive to build a new camp when you have an existing one at Nwashitshumbe far further North in normal ideal roan environment, albeit that that camp had sections of it's fence put down to release surviving animals including Leichtensteins Hartebeest years back.

Anyway, let's see! :-?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

From Gerhard today:

I have investigated the death of the 30 Roan antelope in the Capricorn enclosure, as I had more info than what was published.

I then sent a request to the DG of the DEA on 27 September requesting an investigation into this, as I believe it could have been prevented and that there was insufficient care, unfortunately we are not at the end of a long pièce of red tape yet.

I then requested that the Minister of Environmental Affairs be questioned about this matter in Parliament.

The reply was even much worse than I expected or as published by SANParks.

The details are here below:

“Ref: 02/1/5/2

MINISTER

QUESTION NO. 2784 FOR WRITTEN REPLY: NATIONAL ASSEMBLY

A draft reply to Mrs M Wenger (DA) to the above-mentioned question is enclosed for your consideration.

Ms Nosipho Ngcaba
DIRECTOR-GENERAL

DATE:

DRAFT REPLY APPROVED/AMENDED

MRS B E E MOLEWA, MP
MINISTER OF WATER AND ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS

DATE:

NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
(For written reply)
QUESTION NO. 2784
INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO. 32 NW3433E

DATE OF PUBLICATION: 12 October 2012

Mrs M Wenger (DA) to ask the Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs:
(1) Whether, with reference to the media statement by SANParks on 28 August 2012 about the death of 30 roan antelope while in an enclosure in the northern part of the Kruger National Park, the exact cause of death has been established; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details;
(2) whether an investigation has been conducted to determine whether human error contributed to the death of the antelope; if not, why not; if so, (a) what are the relevant details and (b) how will such deaths of roan antelope be avoided in future;
(3) what is the estimated population of roan antelope in the Kruger National Park after the death of the 30 antelope?

Mrs M Wenger (DA)
SECRETARY TO PARLIAMENT
HANSARD
PRESS

2784. THE MINISTER OF WATER AND ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS ANSWERS:

(1) The cause of death of a total of 45 roan antelope in the Capricorn Breeding Enclosure was confirmed as anthrax. Anthrax, which is endemic to the Kruger National Park (KNP), is a highly infectious disease caused by the bacterium Bacillus anthracis. There is currently an outbreak of anthrax in the northern parts of the KNP.
(2) Yes, an investigation has been conducted which suggests that the deaths of the antelope could have been avoided through better monitoring of the camp and its drinking troughs. In future, the camp will be inspected twice per week, drinking troughs will be covered with branches during the day to prevent vultures from using it, and the troughs will be regularly cleaned and disinfected when anthrax is known to be in the area.
(3) There are currently 13 roan antelope remaining in the Capricorn Breeding Enclosure, 35 in the Nwaswishumbe Breeding Enclosure, and an estimated 40-50 free roaming animals.”

Unquote.

The Minister stated that the camp will be inspected twice per week and that the drinking troughs will be covered with branches during the day to prevent vultures from using it. My question about this now is, does this mean that the enclosures at both Capricorn and Nwaswishumbe be visited twice per day, early morning to cover the troughs and then late afternoon to remove the branches in order to allow the animals to drink.

Please draw your own conclusion about how this was handled.

I am still continuing with my request for a thorough investigation about this matter to be carried out by experts in the field.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Scandalous and badly handled 0=

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I think the anthrax threat has gone with the rains! At least the roan can drink in daytime now! =O:

serval

Post by serval »

Disturbing fact is that the minister acknowledges that it could have been prevented , who should have been routinely monitoring the enclosure ?

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

serval wrote:Disturbing fact is that the minister acknowledges that it could have been prevented , who should have been routinely monitoring the enclosure ?
Good question, unfortunately we may already know the answer

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”