Nature’s Defenders

Personalities who have been or are particularly important to conservation
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Nature’s Defenders

Post by Lisbeth »

Nature’s Defenders: Wangari Maathai, the tree woman of Kenya who gave birth to forests

By Don Pinnock• 14 September 2021

Wangari Maathai was a Kenyan environmental activist and the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize. (Photo: Supplied)

‘If I have learned one thing, it is that humans are only part of this ecosystem. When we destroy the ecosystem, we destroy ourselves, for on its survival depends our own.’

One day, back in the 1940s, on the patch of land cultivated by her family near Mount Kenya, Wangari Maathai planted a tree. For most people, the reason would be to grow a tree. For Maathai it would grow into a movement for global reforestation.

“The planting of trees is the planting of ideas,” she would later tell all who would listen – and many did. “By starting with the simple step of digging a hole and planting a tree, we plant hope for ourselves and for future generations.” She had a way with words. But the trouble she would get into on behalf of trees was considerable.

Born in 1940 in the rural village of Ihithe in Kenya’s Nyeri District, Maathai grew up in a very traditional family. She was the third of six children and the first girl after two sons to the second of her father’s four wives.

Her father was a farmer and her mother performed the expected tasks of a woman at that time: raising children, cooking, and fetching water. Both parents were imbued with a rich knowledge of the land and the traditions of her rural Gukuyu ancestry.

The area would become the epicentre of resistance to colonialism and the imposition of colonial taxation, the birthplace of renowned Mau Mau freedom fighters. And one formidable tree warrior.

In her biography, Unbowed, Maathai remembers: “When my mother told me to go and fetch firewood, she would warn me, ‘Don’t pick any dry wood out of the fig tree, or even around it.’

“‘Why?’” I would ask.

“‘Because that’s a tree of God,’ she’d reply. ‘We don’t use it. We don’t cut it. We don’t burn it.’”

Forever after, fig trees would stand for her as totems of environmental health.

Wangari Maathai was the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize. (Photo: Supplied)

Maathai later moved with her family to a settler’s farm where her father got a job. At her elder brother’s insistence, she attended school and later a Catholic seminary. As part of what became known as the Kennedy Airlift, she was given a bursary to study in the US, earning a master’s degree in biology from the University of Pittsburgh in 1966.

But after returning to Kenya, she found that her career opportunities as a woman were limited. As an alternative, she chose to further her education, which led to a doctorate in the field of veterinary science from the University of Giessen in 1971, a first for an East African woman. She became an associate professor at the University of Nairobi.

But things were changing in the countryside. The colonial government had driven a shift from peasant farming to intensive commercial mono-crop agriculture, creating a landed class it hoped would form a buffer between the radical Gikuyu members and the government, minimising support for the Mau Mau rebellion. The practise was continued after independence with the introduction of cash crops such as coffee, tea, pyrethrum, and the introduction of exotic dairy cows.

These land reforms changed the social, economic, political and ecological landscape of central Kenya and affected village life and the environment where Maathai grew up.

“I saw rivers silted with topsoil, much of which was coming from the forest where plantations of commercial trees had replaced indigenous forest.”

She wrote of a visit home. “I noticed that much of the land that had been covered by trees, bushes and grasses when I was growing up had been replaced by tea and coffee.

“I also learned that someone had acquired the piece of land where the fig tree I was in awe of as a child had stood. The new owner perceived the tree to be a nuisance because it took up too much space and he felled it to make room to grow tea.

“By then I understood the connection between the tree and water, so it did not surprise me that, when the fig tree was cut down, the stream where I had played with the tadpoles dried up.”

Wangari Maathai realised that tree planting was fundamental to civic education, political advocacy, community empowerment, economic sustainability and global biodiversity. (Photo: Supplied)

On visits home, Maathai found the women were running out of wood. They blamed others, they blamed the government, but Maathai saw it another way.

“Think of what we ourselves are doing,” she told them. “We are cutting down the trees of Kenya. When the soil is exposed, it’s crying out for help, it’s naked and needs to be clothed in its dress. That’s the nature of the land. It needs colour, it needs its cloth of green. Why not plant trees?”

Right there the concept of the Green Belt Movement was conceived. It began with the planting of seven saplings in 1977 and training women to care for the land. At the time Maathai would have had no idea about the implication of those actions: if you planted trees, you were also obliged to protect them.

She soon realised that tree planting was fundamental to civic education, political advocacy, community empowerment, economic sustainability and global biodiversity. She was able to make those sorts of connections. As the movement spread, it engaged with environmental destruction and poverty in Kenya. And central to its work was the empowerment of rural women. They began flexing their political muscle – to the horror of the repressive, male-dominated government of Daniel arap Moi.

In 1992 the Green Belt Movement opposed a 60-storey development, the Kenya Times Media Trust Complex, from being built in Uhuru Park, a 34-acre public green space in the centre of Nairobi. “We need a park more than an office tower,” she told the press.

Maathai, with many of the women, was arrested on charges of sedition and treason. While she was out on bail, Uhuru Park became the site of a hunger strike to secure the release of political prisoners. Maathai was beaten unconscious by police. In 1999 she was beaten again when she and other women planted oak saplings to protest the privatisation of Karura Forest in Nairobi.

Her husband, who served in the government, divorced her, finding he was culturally unable to live with an “educated woman” and troublemaker.

Then the government changed. Maathai ran for political office and was elected as an MP and then deputy minister of environment. But by then she had raised her sights from Kenya to combating environmental destruction worldwide. Along the way, she helped to write her country’s new Constitution, ensuring the right of all citizens to a clean and healthy environment.

In 2004 Maathai became the first African woman and the first environmentalist to be given the Nobel Peace Prize, in recognition of her work for sustainable development, democracy and peace. In announcing the award, the Norwegian Nobel Committee said that, “Maathai stands at the front of the fight to promote ecologically viable social, economic and cultural development in Kenya and in Africa.”

A plaque commemorates the life of Wangari Maathai. (Photo: Supplied)

Two years later she joined with the United Nations Environment Programme to launch a campaign to plant a billion trees around the world. In 2007 she became co-chair of the Congo Basin Forest Fund and in 2009 she was designated a United Nations messenger of peace by Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

The Guardian would report that by then she had “coaxed the Mexican army, Japanese geishas, French celebrities, 10,000 Malaysian schools, the president of Turkmenistan and children in Rotherham to roll up their sleeves, dig a hole and plant trees”.

Maathai was simply unstoppable. She addressed the UN General Assembly, carried the flag at the Olympic Games and, as her campaign for trees rolled ahead, she accepted many citations and awards. The list of her awards, affiliations and honorary awards is extraordinary.

Through her dedication, winning smile and tactical intelligence she had managed to put deforestation high on the agenda in developing countries and made tree planting an act of transformation in which everyone could engage.

The Green Belt Movement had kicked off one of the world’s largest mobilisations of people for a cause. In Kenya to date, 55 million trees have been planted, mainly by grassroots women. In Maathai’s name, almost 50 countries have planted 1.5 billion trees, with a goal of 14 billion.

Countries were falling over themselves to plant the most and be linked with Maathai: Indonesia claimed to have planted 79 million in a day. Turkey said it had planted 500 million, Mexico 250 million. India pledged to replant six million hectares of degraded forest.

Such was the Wangari Maathai effect. And it all started with a woman planting a tree and an idea. “I saw that the Earth was naked,” she told an interviewer. “For me the mission then was to try to clothe, cover the earth; cover the ground with green.”

During her last days, as she battled ovarian cancer in a Nairobi hospital, Maathai insisted that she not be buried in a wooden coffin – affirming her life-long battle to save trees and the rest of the environment.

When she died in 2011, the Nigerian environmental activist Nnimmo Bassey wrote: “Even if no one applauds this great woman of Africa, the trees will clap.” But the world did applaud and millions mourned.

The daughter of a peasant farmer had become a legend. DM/OBP

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Nature’s Defenders

Post by Richprins »

^Q^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

CARING FOR THE LAND

A conservation champion’s journey from teacher to baker to beermaker to ‘ecoboer’

‘There used to be a million springbok here, as well as elephants,’ says Adrian Robinson, chairman of the Rooiberg-Breede River Conservancy. ‘Wouldn’t it be fantastic if we could make more space for wildlife again?’ he asks. (Photo: Tony Carnie)

By Tony Carnie | 21 May 2023

Adrian Robertson, now chair of the Rooiberg Breede River Conservancy, admits that there have been several excursions and a few missteps along the way.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It had been a long day at the oven when Adrian Robinson experienced another Eureka moment.

Unwinding in the company of his elder brother, Phillip, the former geography teacher-turned-baker realised that he was thoroughly fed up with waking up daily at 2.30am to heat up ovens or knead mounds of flour.

“Let’s go farming!”, he declared, as one does, while seated in a hot tub after work and quaffing red wine.

That impulsive farming adventure began just over 20 years ago, when the brothers Robinson bought a 1,800-hectare piece of land near the town of Robertson, about 140km west of Cape Town.

The Langeberg mountains cast their shadows over the Breede River Valley, where at least 35 farmers are helping to conserve parts of the unique Succulent Karoo landscape that is rich in semi-desert plant life and part of a global biodiversity hotspot. (Photo: Tony Carnie)

Adrian, now chair of the Rooiberg Breede River Conservancy, admits that there have been several excursions and a few missteps along the way.

Initially focused on grapes, they later expanded into nectarines, plums, peaches, almonds and olives. In between, they also tapped some of the local mountain water to establish a new craft beer range under the banner of the Saggy Stone Brewing Company.

Adrian, currently recovering from a major motorbike smash that has left his left leg and pelvis festooned with surgical pins, has always dreamed of establishing a game reserve. But installing a 22km-long game fence turned out to be a mammoth task. Hoping to economise on fencing costs, he opted to do the job in-house, so it was more than 2½ years before the job was completed.

Eventually, with the fences up, he sourced and transported small herds of kudu, springbok, eland, wildebeest and plains zebra to the farm, a task that brought its own challenges.

Ideally, says Robinson, he would like to expand the small reserve and would be happy to drop some of his boundary fences if he could reach a suitable agreement with several neighbours.

“There used to be a million springbok here, as well as elephants. Wouldn’t it be fantastic if we could make more space for wildlife again, especially in a water-scarce region where the indigenous wildlife and vegetation are adapted to such dry conditions?”

Battling the aliens

More recently, however, the focus for Adrian and 34 fellow members of the conservancy has been on removing the alien vegetation that has infested the tributaries of the Breede River.

With support from CapeNature and the WWF-South Africa conservation group, large stands of aliens (mainly blue gums) have been cleared from the riverbanks on his farm.

“We saw the results immediately. The river has been running for three months since the blue gums came down and the water table is not dropping as fast as it used to,” says Robinson.

And when he gets the bit between his teeth, Robinson doesn’t muck around, so he also decided to wage war against alien prickly pears on his farm.

Conservation manager Sandile Mdoko admires the rich variety of succulents, dwarf trees and renosterveld shrubs in the Vrolijkheid Nature Reserve in the Little Karoo. Known as Robertson Karoo vegetation, there are few grasses in this arid area, which has extremely high summer temperatures. (Photo: Tony Carnie)

Armed with a large sword he fashioned himself at the farm forge, he slashed it around with gusto.

“Big mistake!” he recalls, as several months later there were even more prickly pears sprouting from the fragments he had lopped down.

In a further conservation drive, he is trying to cut down on the volume of synthetic pesticides on the farm to improve the soil health and biodiversity of the land. Several environmental awareness courses have been held for his staff to encourage water conservation and discourage practices such as killing every snake on sight.

Other conservancy members, such as the Botha family of Voerspood Boerdery, have also been closely involved in clearing alien vegetation from the nearby Noree River and then replanting streambanks with riverine species grown at a new indigenous nursery.

Gareth Boothway, the WWF land care stewardship coordinator who has been supporting the conservation work of Robinson and other farmers in the Rooiberg-Breede River area, says land care initiatives in this area depend ultimately on voluntary support from landowners.

Recognising that further agricultural expansion on scarce arable land poses a threat to the unique indigenous vegetation and biodiversity of the valley, farmers are encouraged to avoid further degradation of high-priority sections of the Succulent Karoo Biome.

According to the South African National Biodiversity Institute, there are more than 6,500 plant species within the Succulent Karoo, but less than 10% of this globally-unique biome is protected within nature reserves.

After stints as a baker and geography teacher, Adrian Robinson has turned his hand to farming, beer-making and eco-tourism. (Photo: Tony Carnie)

This is why it is so critical to encourage private landowners to conserve these specially adapted plants, especially the critically rare species that fall outside formal conservation areas.

“We use CapeNature’s spatial biodiversity plans to identify which portions of really high-priority land should be excluded from development, as well as those areas with less biodiversity that can be used for agricultural expansion,” says Boothway.

Farmers are also encouraged to sign land and water stewardship agreements with either CapeNature or WWF.

“Some landowners are reluctant to sign long-term agreements with the state, but are more amenable to shorter-term agreements which are less restrictive.”

While several agreements have been signed over recent years, Boothway acknowledges that the uptake has been slow among landowners.

“Building relationships and trust is a long-term game and we are fortunate to have local conservation champions like Adrian who are passionate about protecting the landscape, but who also understand the economics and daily challenges of farming.” DM

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

How science and intuition can work together to save species

Carl Jones with an echo parakeet. (Photo: Supplied)

By Yves Vanderhaeghen | 25 Sep 2023

One of the world’s foremost conservationists, Professor Carl Jones, who has saved more species from the brink of extinction than any other conservationist, will share insights from his remarkable career at the 12th Oppenheimer Research Conference in Midrand in October.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“I don’t want you to think I’m a hippie,” says Carl Jones.

As if. Behind his name stand MBE and PhD Biology. He is the recipient of the Indianapolis Prize, considered the Nobel Prize for Conservation. He is chief scientist of the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust and scientific director of the Mauritian Wildlife Foundation.

Over four decades on the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius, he saved at least nine species from extinction, including the Mauritius kestrel, pink pigeon, echo parakeet, Rodrigues warbler and Rodrigues fody. He has rebuilt entire ecosystems and removed alien species from the islands surrounding Mauritius. He has restored the populations of Rodrigues fruit bat, Günther’s gecko, Orange-tailed skink and Round Island boa. No other conservationist is credited with saving as many animal species. It’s a long list.

He will be sharing insights from his long career at the 12th Oppenheimer Research Conference, which takes place in Midrand, Gauteng, on October 4–6. His presentation is titled “Lessons from the Dodo”.

Jones is also a man seduced by beauty and fascinated by complexity, of both the natural world and the human psyche. As we talk, via Zoom, he is ensconced in his living room in Wales, which I mistake for his study from the many specimens and books.

“This is just a tiny portion of it,” he says, his Welsh lilt brimming with good humour. “I’m a bit of a bibliophile. It’s my personality, I’m afraid. I’ve still got lots of stuff in boxes; I’m just a terrible collector of things.”

His book collection numbers more than 6,000 volumes, mostly about natural history, and also subjects like psychoanalysis, but no novels. “I’ve never read a book of fiction in my life. It would be boring; it’s not reality,” he says.

Among his favourites are “a lot of Victorian books”, and indeed there is a benign air of the slightly eccentric Victorian gentleman about him.

I ask whether he thinks there is a link between his hoarding instincts and the impulse to conserve species.

‘They bring me huge joy’

“That’s a very interesting question,” he responds, as he does to every question. “I’ve often thought about what drives me and certainly all the conservation work is because I get a lot of satisfaction from it. I love those creatures and plants I work with. They bring me huge joy. As well as understanding that they’re an important part of the world’s complexity. You can think about it at a rational level but very often when I’m in the forest and I see some birds I’ve worked with I get quite emotional. I think ‘wow, isn’t that amazing’. It’s very selfish. I just love it.”

Of course, the bigger picture is a big concern: climate change, the fact that the planet is experiencing its sixth major extinction, that we’ll lose 10% of animals and plants by 2050, and 30% within 100 years.

“I do think about saving the world and reversing climate change and biodiversity loss and all that. But I’m driven by the aesthetics of it all. Complex systems are just so beautiful; the world is so beautiful,” he says.

Aware of the interplay of elements, Jones finds himself straddling the emotional and intellectual, scientific and intuitive. “I wrestle with the relationship of being a scientific observer and being part of the world,” he says.

“There’s the side of you that’s driven by emotion and by feeling, and I’m a great believer in intuition and empathy. And then you’ve got the other side, of being a rational scientist. And yeah, you can get them to work side by side. Science works by reducing everything to the lowest common denominator; it simplifies everything, which is a powerful way to understand things, but it also dumbs things down terribly because the world is far more than just those basic building blocks.”

This nuanced approach is how, as a 24-year-old working for the forerunner of Birdlife International, he tackled the task of saving the Mauritian kestrel in the early 70s.

“The most important thing is knowing and understanding your species,” he says. “When I started working on Mauritius, when we only had small numbers of birds, we were trying to breed them and we weren’t in a situation where we could study them in some experimental way. I spent a lot of time just watching them in the forest, getting to know them. Yes, of course, I wanted to know how many eggs they laid and what they fed on and where they lived, but after a while I became quite intuitive about it all, as a naturalist.

“I remember telling some of my bosses that the kestrels were short of food and I knew that because of the way they were behaving. I couldn’t quantify it in a scientific way, but I knew that they were food-stressed, and I was right.

“I also did that with a lot of the other birds. I came up with hunches and ideas that later proved to be correct. Once you’ve got the insight, you can start looking at it scientifically and collecting data to support or refute your hunch. It’s all part of the same process. You’re being open to experience, empathetic, listening to intuition and testing things empirically using science”.

The result was that the four kestrels Jones started with, the sum total of the species at the time, grew, through captive-breeding and nurturing, to about 500 birds. And while there have been wobbles along the way, the kestrel numbers, and those of other rescued species, have mostly stayed up.

Jones says that when numbers dropped, after the early euphoria of success, it was because “we took our eye off the ball a bit, and now more management is needed”.

‘Long-term commitment’

“There’s a very powerful lesson there. Yes, we can restore the populations of critically endangered species, but we also need to continue to look after the populations. A lot of people don’t like that idea. They think we should restore the animals and then move on to the next one. But what you have to remember is that we have been mistreating the world for centuries, if not millennia, and we can’t be expected to solve all those problems overnight. We’re learning that it’s not that difficult conserving species, it’s easy, but it does need a long-term commitment. We need 100-year visions for our programmes. Then we will achieve great things. This is something the conservation community has yet to embrace.”

Saving the world took its toll, in those early days.

“I came home after my first 18 months and I was mentally and physically exhausted. It had really taken its toll on me, the politics, the challenges, the destruction, and in the early days some of the kestrels had died. The operation was looking desperate. The funders weren’t happy with my approach. I was very hands on, and in the 1970s and 1980s a lot of the conservation organisations were protectionist and didn’t believe in active management. They believed that the best way to save species was to put up a national park, protect them and go round schools and educate people. I just knew that wouldn’t work. There was destruction, and degradation of the forest, populations were growing, and I knew we would have to be proactive. These species were on the very brink of extinction, and I knew it would take aggressive hands-on action: breeding, management, reintroduction of species in the wild.

“There was this huge philosophical debate, conflict, tension, between the protectionist ideology, which still exists in the western world, and the practical get-out-there-and-do-it ideology like you have in South Africa, and which I admire. Funding was withdrawn because they said I was in breach of contract because I wasn’t doing all the things I should have been doing, in terms of negotiating with government about setting up national parks, for example. I was very lucky that Gerry [Durrell] came in and saved my bacon and gave me a job.”

The rest is history, a country Jones doesn’t like to inhabit, except for what it can teach about the future.

“The world is going to change dramatically,” he says, “but the one thing we mustn’t get obsessed with, is trying to turn the clock back. Thinking like that can be very destructive.

“We’ve got to look to the past but so we can guide development in the future. One of the problems that western thought has had is they want things to be how they were however many centuries ago, but of course we can’t get there.

“And now with climate change, people have woken up and they’re saying, ‘Bloody hell, we can’t turn the clock back even if we wanted to’.

“We’ve got to think in a very creative way about what may be in the future. I see the future as offering lots of opportunities, for rebuilding systems, moving species around, understanding how in some cases we can build novel systems with different elements in them. And if we see how the world has progressed, and how science has progressed in our lifetimes, it is quite conceivable that in the future we will be genetically modifying animals. We may be able to adapt animals to go into new situations, into rebuilt, novel systems. That’s being very science fiction, but think about it, if you embrace the idea that we’re going to turn the clock back, we’re going to get nowhere because the world is changing so quickly.

“It is a Brave New World; there’s no two ways about it. I think it’s great that we’re trying to resuscitate extinct species through genetic engineering. Let’s embrace it.”

Bringing back the dodo

Would Jones like to see the dodo come back?

“They’re working on it but I don’t think they have enough genetic material. What they will be doing is moving genes around, and come up with something that’s a chimera that will have some dodo in it. Most of the genome of the dodo still exists in other species, so who knows where all that’s going to go.”

The extinction of the dodo is pivotal to Jones’s thinking. He has written: “During those quiet moments when one’s mind drifts, I often think what it would be like to go back in time to see the world before we modified it so dramatically. I would like to travel to the sixteenth century, to the island of Mauritius, to see the dodo and many of the other remarkable birds, and other animals that lived there but are now extinct.”

The lesson of the dodo, the “iconic lost species”, he says, is that “it was the first species that became extinct, in 1662, where we realised that we’d caused its extinction. People then looked back, years later, and said ‘where’s the dodo gone?’ and they realised that the world was exhaustible, that we could deplete species, that they weren’t just there for us to take and take and take. Yes, it took a few more centuries before it became embedded in western consciousness that we were causing extinctions. But one can honestly say that it was on Mauritius, with the loss of the dodo, that we had the dawning of the modern conservation consciousness.”

Another lesson, for Jones, is that saving species is not a question of one here, another there. Each one saved is a spearhead towards changing the world. “These animals are catalysts for that bigger vision that we all embrace”, which is to build a “caring society”.

Generally not given to dwelling on problems, he says “one of the problems in the world is there are too many small thinkers, and when it comes to conservation, we need big thinkers, bold thinkers. I love thinkers like EO Wilson [who originated the idea of biophilia, or ‘the urge to affiliate with other forms of life’], and Jared Diamond [who theorises about the factors that cause societal collapse, which include environmental collapse and climate change].

“I have also been inspired by individuals, people like Gerald Durrell [author and naturalist who founded the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust and the Jersey Zoo on the Channel Island of Jersey], Peter Scott [who pioneered breeding programmes to save some of the world’s rarest birds from extinction]. I like the early ethologists, I like the Freudians, because they were thinking way outside the box.”

He acknowledges that many people, many scientists, “follow a rigid path”. But then “there are these whacko people who have lots of crazy ideas, a lot of which fall on barren soil but some of them come to fruition. I love whacko people”.

He insists that all species can be saved, and bridles at the suggestion that choices need to be made about which ones to save, and that there isn’t enough money to do so anyway.

‘All species are saveable’

Carl Jones with a white-tailed eagle, a species that Durrell Wildlife is helping to restore to its habitat in Wales and the wider Severn Estuary. (Photo: Supplied)

“When you start saying there’s a limited pot, you become less creative in your thinking. I always say all species are saveable. Of course not all species will be saved. That’s a reality because of the nature of the world. But the moment you start saying species aren’t saveable, you start giving up.

‘And I don’t think we should ever do that. How much are people spending on skyscrapers? How much has been poured into Ukraine? I’m not saying we shouldn’t have. Of course we should. But how much money goes into armaments compared to conservation, to looking after this planet? I think we need to restructure the way we look at the world.”

And not just as a matter of survival.

“Keeping the planet healthy keeps us healthy, not just in terms of physical health but mental health. We need diversity. We need complexity. The human soul feeds off complex interesting worlds. People may say, ‘What is the point of a black wildebeest, or an African elephant?’, but if we lose those, we impoverish the world, making it a duller place. Do we all want to live in skyscrapers, surrounded by concrete, with a few sanitised areas that we call parks? We want wild areas, we want complexity.”

At home, on his three hectare patch of Wales, it’s the simple pleasures of his own birds and other animals that occupy Jones.

“I breed Andean condors. I’ve got those because they’re very intelligent. They’re social. They’re complex. I just like being with them and working with them. I have a number of birds. Birds of prey. Parrots. Some owls. I’ve got birds that I fly, that I let go and they come back. I’ve got a tortoise. I’ve got some fish. I like surrounding myself with wildlife.

“You know, if you build a rapport with birds, especially with the intelligent ones, they become very intuitive about you. They know your feelings. There are people who’ve argued that there are senses in animals that border on the telepathic. It wouldn’t surprise me if many animals had telepathic ways of communicating. And intuition is a step towards that.

“I’m not saying this in some airy-fairy, New Age sort of way, but there are modes of communication between animals which we don’t fully understand. My birds, the ones I’m closest to, pick up my feelings, and I can pick up their feelings. And I find that quite extraordinary. There are things about our relations with the animal world which are not understood, and not fully acknowledged by science because of the way that science is very reductionist.

“I don’t want you to think I’m a hippie. But I like to think I’m open to other possibilities in the world.”

A world which is more complex, more bounteous, and more beautiful thanks to Jones’s efforts.

Carl Jones with a Mauritius kestrel, which he saved from extinction and of which there are now about 500 individuals. (Photo: Supplied)

‘Every species when you get to know it is quite beautiful’

The Mauritian kestrel is the first species Carl Jones saved from extinction, which recovered from four individuals to about 500 today. “It’s still one of my favourite birds,” he says.

“For a large part of my life I dreamt about them every night. I was obsessed. I think it is absolutely exquisite. It has short, rounded wings, it has a beautiful white breast and lovely spots in heart shapes.

“It looks beautiful but it flies beautifully as well. It flies among the canopy, catching lizards. They have a beautiful aerial display where they circle up in the spring and they stoop and dive at each other. They ride the up-drafts of the big cliffs.

“I’ve seen them rising up until they’re out of sight, and then I’ve seen them close their wings and plummeting to the ground. When we’re talking about the beauty of the bird, we’re also talking about the bird in its natural environment.

“Every species when you get to know it is quite beautiful.” DM

Yves Vanderhaeghen writes for Jive Media Africa, science communication partner for Oppenheimer Generations Research and Conservation.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Plant ‘canaries’ offer new early-warning system for Africa’s environmental crises

Dr Lova Marline in Tsaratanana National Park, the tallest mountain range in Madagascar. (Photo: Benny Rice)

By Tony Carnie | 06 Oct 2023

Dr Lovanomenjanahary (Lova) Marline hopes to intensify her studies on a unique and primitive group of plants while monitoring three major threats facing humanity and the global environment – air pollution, climate change and the biological diversity crisis.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Generations of coal miners relied on canaries in cages as an early-warning system to detect toxic or explosive gases. The birds, being more sensitive than humans, would die or get sick first, giving miners a chance to escape or put on protective breathing equipment.

In much the same way, Madagascar-based scientist, Dr Lovanomenjanahary (Lova) Marline, hopes to intensify her studies on a unique and primitive group of plants while monitoring three major threats facing humanity and the global environment – air pollution, climate change and the biological diversity crisis.

Dr Lova Marline collects bryophytes in Ankara National Park. (Photo: Benny Rice)

The alarm bells she has in mind are bryophytes – small, flowerless plants that collect all the nutrients they need from tiny droplets of water in the air around them.

Marline, a Malagasy “bryologist” attached to the Royal Botanic Gardens in (Kew) London and Association Vahatra in Antananarivo, notes that these environmentally sensitive plants are already used in some countries – mainly in the developed Global North – as a general indicator of ecosystem health or as monitoring tools.

However, they remain “woefully understudied”, especially in Africa, and rarely feature in biological inventories and field research. That’s because research (and research funding) has focused on more charismatic plant and animal groups such as baobabs, orchids, lemurs or the Big Five mammals.

Unlike most other plants, bryophytes (mosses, liverworts and hornworts) have no seeds, veins or proper roots. Globally, there are roughly 25,000 species of bryophytes.

Most live in damp forests, although some can survive in deserts.

“Non-charismatic groups, which include bryophytes and lichens, are often neglected by biologists and are largely unknown to the general public,” she says.

“Yet, they represent one of the great reservoirs of undescribed diversity and could provide numerous insights into understanding environmental challenges that also impact humans.”

Fortunately, this could start to change as Marline has just been awarded the $150,000 (about R2.8-million) Jennifer Ward Oppenheimer Research Grant for her new research project.

Dr Lova Marline in Andringitra National Park, Madadascar. (Photo: Benny Rice)

The research grant scheme is managed by Oppenheimer Generations Research and Conservation and Oppenheimer Generations Philanthropies and was established five years ago to help early-career scientists develop scientific solutions to African problems.

Marline will also involve scientists and university students from other African nations in her project, which has three main aims:
  • To build up a more detailed database of these unique plants in African biodiversity hotspots.
  • To help predict the effects of air pollution and climate change on biodiversity in tropical Africa – based on new research in Madagascar, Benin and Ethiopia.
  • To map the level of tiny toxic particles and metal-containing air pollutants that damage human health.
In short, she hopes to break “new ground” in understanding the complex links between biodiversity, climate change and air pollution.

Jonathan Oppenheimer presenting the Jennifer Ward Oppenheimer Research Grant award to Dr Lovanomenjanahary Marline on the evening of 5 October 2023. (Photo supplied)

By drawing this knowledge together, she also hopes to recommend new strategies to stem biodiversity loss, while promoting healthier air for humanity and the environment.

To monitor air pollution, she plans to distribute large numbers of “moss balls” across three nations as a simple and cheap method to measure local air pollution levels in densely populated cities and more isolated rural areas.

While Madagascar is not as industrialised as countries like South Africa or Nigeria, several of its cities and towns are nevertheless heavily polluted from car, motorbike and truck exhaust fumes, while indoor air in many homes is fouled by charcoal fumes.

To further measure pollution levels in real time, the project will deploy a number of more sophisticated (but low-cost) air pollution monitoring systems known as PurpleAir sensors.

These devices are designed to measure fine particulates (specks of polluted dust) that can penetrate human lungs, and ultimately the blood, heart and other vital organs. Data are collected every five seconds and uploaded every two minutes and can be easily accessed from the internet.

However, reliable sources of electrical power for such devices are not always available in parts of Africa.

That’s where the moss balls come in.

They are, literally, tiny balls of moss wrapped in a thin net to allow them to be exposed to the surrounding air when transported to cities or remote rural areas.

Dr Lova Marline explores for bryophytes in Tsaratanana National Park, the tallest mountain range in Madagascar. (Photo: Benny Rice)

Because bryophytes are very sensitive to environmental stress and accumulate airborne pollutants daily, the balls can be analysed in a laboratory several months later to measure the levels and types of ambient air pollution captured by the moss.

Apart from damaging human health, air pollution adds to global warming by increasing the level of gases that trap heat in the Earth’s atmosphere.

Marline’s study will generate vital baseline data on bryophytes in urban, rural and mountain areas of three Afro-Malagasy countries. This is vital, not just for the sake of increasing scientific knowledge.

It will provide a vital reference point for future studies to test the hypothesis that several plant species are moving from low-lying areas to higher areas in response to climate change – literally moving uphill to remain within temperature niches shaped by centuries of evolution.

“Mountains are the best candidates for comparative studies on the impact of climate change on the future of biodiversity and ecosystem functioning,” she notes.

At a personal level, Marline is deeply gratified to have won the 2023 JWO Research Grant as it allows her to continue working as an independent bryophyte researcher in her home nation.

Sadly, she says, government funding for environmental research remains extremely thin in Madagascar, despite several studies which show that this massive island is a global centre of bryophyte diversity and endemism – and the most species-rich area of bryophytes in Africa.

Marline grew up in a small town about 160km from the capital, where her interest in science was stimulated by her parents.

“Mum was a biology teacher and my dad a maths teacher, so we always talked science at home.”

Her specific focus on botany developed gradually during her studies at the University of Antananarivo, followed by her doctoral studies at the University of Cape Town.

Now, as a postdoctoral researcher, she is part of a very specialised group of 35 bryophyte volunteer experts from across the world who make up the International Union for the Conservation of Nature Species Survival Commission (Bryophyte Specialist Group), which works to raise public awareness and to assess the extinction risks for this understudied plant family.

“We are still a very small group. I wanted to call us the ‘bryobabes’ (short for ‘bryophyte babes’) but my proposal did not take off,” she laughs.

Away from her computer and laboratory work, she keeps fit by dancing or hiking, and she “loves cooking”. DM

This article was commissioned by Jive Media Africa, science communications partner to Oppenheimer Generations Research and Conservation.

Tony Carnie is an environmental journalist with Daily Maverick, based in Durban.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Jane Goodall: ‘I had to give up what I love best’ at Gombe to inspire biodiversity conservation

World-renowned ethologist and conservationist Dr Jane Goodall gives an address at the Origins Centre at Wits University on 21 February 2024. (Photo: Julia Evans)

By Julia Evans | 25 Feb 2024 [/size]

Conservationist Jane Goodall gave up living with her chimps in the forest in the Gombe National Park in Tanzania to raise awareness of animal conservation, biodiversity loss and climate change.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
At almost 90 years old, Dr Jane Goodall, the world-renowned ethologist and conservationist, spends 300 days of her year travelling around the world, speaking to people about the urgency of animal conservation, biodiversity loss and climate change.

But despite being a Dame of the British Empire and UN Messenger of Peace, her fondest memories stem from her time in the Gombe National Park in Tanzania, learning about humans’ closest living relative, the chimpanzee.

“I had to give up what I love best to try to save it. It’s just one of those things,” said Goodall, chuckling.

Goodall was speaking to Daily Maverick a few days into her South Africa trip, where she had already made appearances at events at Wits University, the JSE and at the Jane Goodall Institute’s youth programme, trying to inspire those around her that there is still reason for hope.

Following a panel discussion with local researchers at the Origins Centre at Wits on Wednesday night, Goodall said: “Those were the best days of my life – being out in the forest, learning about the interconnection of all the species of plants and animals in the forest ecosystem.”

Local researchers discuss sustainable development in Africa with ethologist Dr Jane Goodall at the Origins Centre, Wits University, on 21 February 2024. (Photo: Julia Evans)

Goodall said the reason she left was because she learnt about the true extent of deforestation in chimpanzee habitats across Africa at a conference in 1986.

“I went to that conference as a scientist, planning to spend the rest of my life probably studying chimpanzees in different areas, but I left as an activist,” said Goodall at the event, which was in partnership with Oppenheimer Generations Research & Conservation and the Future Ecosystems for Africa programme.

Securing funding from National Geographic, Goodall then visited all six chimpanzee study sites in Africa, discovering not only the challenges faced by chimps but also the hardships of human communities surrounding their habitats.

“I visited the different chimpanzee sites to learn more about why chimpanzee numbers were dropping,” said Goodall, explaining that she learnt about the bushmeat trade, the shooting of mothers to take infants to sell in the live animal trade and snares set by hunters.

“But I also learned a lot about the problems faced by so many of the human people living in and around chimpanzee habitat – the crippling poverty, the lack of good health and education facilities, the degradation of the land.”

In her early days at Gombe, Jane Goodall spent many hours sitting on a high peak with binoculars or a telescope, searching the forest below for chimpanzees. (Photo: JGI / Jane Goodall)

Dr Jane Goodall with alpha male Figan at Gombe National Park in Tanzania (Photo: JGI / Derek Bryceson)

Young researcher Jane Goodall with baby chimpanzee Flint at the Gombe Stream Research Centre in Tanzania. (Photo: JGI / Hugo van Lawick)

Community-led approach

Goodall established the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) in 1977, a conservation organisation that uses a community-led approach, encouraging local communities to own the process of sustainable development and conservation.

Goodall realised early on the importance of not solely framing conservation around wildlife to locals, but showcasing how conservation can be beneficial for communities dependent on nature.

She said that from the very beginning, they went into villages, selected a group of seven local Tanzanians, who went and asked their community what they needed to make their lives better.

“They wanted to grow their own food, and for better education, especially for their children,” said Goodall, “and so that’s where we began.

“And gradually the people came to trust us… they came to see that, unlike other scientists who came, did their study and left, we stayed. We helped them try to get money so that we could introduce other things into the programme.”

Since then the JGI has helped to improve health and education in all 12 villages around Gombe and has 25 offices worldwide.

Projects that help communities increase their income and rely less on the forest include community-managed micro-credit programmes, beekeeping and woodlot cultivation.

The latest thing the JGI has introduced is GIS mapping and satellite imagery, where volunteers from the different villages monitor the health of their forests.

“They’re very proud of that village forest reserves – they were destroying them, but now they’re saving them,” said Goodalll.

“People have now become our partners in conservation. Before they resented people coming in like us. Now, they know that saving the environment isn’t just for wildlife. It’s for their own future.”

Phoebe Samwell, JGI community development officer, talks with a group of JGI TACARE micro-credit beneficiaries in Kigoma, Tanzania. (Photo: JGI / Shawn Sweeney)

Watershed restoration project beneficiaries involved in riverline planting in Masindi district, Uganda. (Photo: JGI Uganda / Brenda Mirembe)

Inspiring hope

Goodall says she is concerned by the many issues the world faces – from the climate crisis and biodiversity loss to the wars raging in Ukraine and Palestine and the dozen conflicts in Africa.

But for her, it’s all about hope.

Goodall said that how she got into this space has become a reason to inspire other people that they can make a change.

“I was told at school that there was no way I could go to Africa and live with wild animals – I didn’t have money, I was just a girl, and Africa was far away.

“But my mother said: ‘No, if you really want to do something like this, you’re going to have to work really hard, take advantage of every opportunity, and if you don’t give up, hopefully, you’ll find a way.’

“And I’ve taken that message around the world and shared it particularly with young people in poorer communities. And the number of them who said, ‘Jane, you taught me because you did it, I can do it, too’.”

When Goodall was 23 she had saved up enough from a few jobs that she was able to board a ship to Kenya.

Dr Jane Goodall scans the treetops for chimpanzees in Gombe National Park on 14 July 2010, the 50th anniversary of her arrival at Gombe. (Photo: JGI / Chase Pickering)

Dr Jane Goodall is a Dame of the British Empire and UN Messenger of Peace. (Photo: JGI / Bill Wallauer)

There she met paleoanthropologist Dr Louis Leakey, who eventually gave her the opportunity to go to the Gombe National Park to study wild chimpanzees.

After two years learning from the chimps, Goodall made groundbreaking discoveries that chimps use and make their own tools and have personalities and cultures. But as a young woman with no formal academic training, no one took her seriously.

So Leakey told her she had to complete her PhD in ethology at Cambridge University.

“So, there I was arriving in Cambridge, never having been to college… and can you imagine how I felt when all these scientists told me that I had done everything wrong? ‘Jane, you shouldn’t have given the chimps names, you shouldn’t have talked about them having personalities, minds capable of problem solving, and certainly not emotions, happiness, sadness, fear, despair. Those are unique to us.’”

Goodall said that is what science believed in 1962, “but fortunately, I had a wonderful teacher when I was a child. And that teacher taught me that in this respect, these professors are completely totally, utterly wrong. That teacher was my dog, Rusty.”

Goodall explained that if you share your life in a meaningful way with any animal – be it a dog, cat, horse or pig – it would be clear to you, as it was to her then, that we are not the only beings with personalities, minds and emotions.

And now, Goodall uses that same indomitable spirit to try to inspire hope in young people, who she began noticing were angry, upset and depressed when she travelled the world.

“I said to them, yes, you’re right, we have harmed your future,” said Goodall, “but it’s not true that there’s nothing that can be done about it.”

Goodall went on to set up the JGI youth programme Roots & Shoots in 1991, which empowers young people by getting them involved in projects that protect the environment, wildlife or their communities. The programme is now in more than 65 countries worldwide.

Jane Goodall watches young Gaia groom her mother Gremlin who cradles her newborn twins at Gombe National Park in Tanzania in 1998. (Photo: Kristin J Mosher)

What keeps her going

When asked what drives her to keep going, Goodall told Daily Maverick: “One, I’m an obstinate creature by nature, and I’m not going to give up.

“Two, I wouldn’t do it if it didn’t make a difference.”

She added that when she was at the JSE the night before giving a talk on sustainable finance, an older man came up to her and said that she had changed his life.

In many ways, Goodall made a great sacrifice once she learnt the true extent of deforestation, having to leave behind the forest she loved, to try to save habitats around the world.

But for her, “it’s just one of those things”. DM

nan

Post by nan »

I went to one of her sanctuary in Uganda, a big island and it was.... magic [Luv] .... and sad

https://ngambaisland.org/about-ngamba-i ... 2032.39'E.

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

In the heart of conservation: TMNP’s all-women team leads the charge against environmental crimes

A SANParks helicopter prepares to conduct a safety patrol in Table Mountain National Park. The patrols are often aided by data gathered and analysed by the operations centre working behind the scenes. (Photo: TMNP)

By Kristin Engel | 27 Mar 2024

The success of TMNP’s conservation soldiers who target crime on Table Mountain hinges on the data collected and analysed by a group of women, who carry out their vital work quietly in the background. We talked to some of them
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Daily Maverick ventured inside the Table Mountain National Parks (TMNP) operations centre where an all-women team is laying the groundwork for special operations targeting environmental crimes such as abalone poaching, bark stripping, and flower poaching accelerating biodiversity loss across the mountain – as well as crimes against visitors.

The all-women team specialises in data-driven operations, using information collected across a range of channels and turning it into actionable plans to intervene in environmental and contact crime conducted by poaching syndicates.

Jaclyn Smith, manager of the Sea Air and Mountain (SEAM) Operations Unit, said: “The unit consists of two components. One is our operations room – our information and communications hub for data that comes in across the landscape from technology, people, social media, shared information groups with security cluster partners like the City of Cape Town, South African Police Services and metro police, as well as unofficial channels like neighbourhood watches and the other partners around the park.

“The second component is the operators, which are our conservation soldiers that are specially trained to deal with target-driven operations where they take the information collected by the operations room and turn it into actionable plans to intervene with environmental and contact crime in the landscape.”

Smith manages the operations team, along with Ayesha Davids, the operations room control officer, who coordinates all activities relating to information management, interpretation and dissemination within the TMNP terrestrial and marine protected areas.

Davids leads a team of data capturers who monitor technology and information sources to coordinate communication and prepare actionable information for the SEAM team to act on.

For their safety, Daily Maverick cannot divulge their names or faces to the public, but here we share some of what the incredible women have been doing to safeguard the wildlife, biodiversity and visitors of TMNP.

The data capturers explained that their day-to-day activities and duties start with capturing data from various sources.

“We collect data; the data might be coming from WhatsApp or straight from our rangers, and then we capture it on the system … After that, we will extract the data, analyse it and make the data make sense. After analysing the data, we will come up with intelligence and do incident reports,” one said.

Inside the TMNP operations room

Sea, Air and Mountain operators and their canine helpers with a haul of abalone that was confiscated after a counter-poaching operation in a marine protected area. (Photo: TMNP)

Davids, who oversees the data capturing and vetting of information coming into the operations room, explained that they facilitated information gathering and converting that information into intelligence so that operators could fulfil their role and execute successful arrests in terms of counter-poaching, visitor safety and more.

“Over and above actual arrests and incidents, we have digitised all the information coming from the different sections in TMNP. That was a noteworthy experience because everything had been written by hand in occurrence books, in fines, in just physical documentation. The girls documented 10 years’ worth of information,

“With that information, you can imagine the amount of data that allows us to do large-scale analysis in terms of trends over longer periods,” she said.

Smith added that a lot of the time they worked with partners to combat marine crime in the park, such as abalone poaching, which was deeply rooted in broad syndicates across South Africa and globally.

“We plan our operations to prevent poaching from happening. We don’t want to broadcast pictures of abalone that we are busy counting at the police station after we’ve arrested poachers. By that stage, the animal is dead. We want to keep the animal alive in the water.

“We largely drive our operations toward preventing poachers from being able to drop off their divers and stop them from being able to enter the water completely,” she said.

Smith said terrestrial crimes included bark-stripping – the removal of bark from a mature tree in the national park, which could then be used in the illicit market for traditional medicine.

“We are aware that some people use bark in small amounts and they take it for subsistence use from various locations or purchase it legally through established channels.

“Then there’s the illicit trade where they indiscriminately remove bark from trees and it results in the death of that tree,” she said.

Read more in Daily Maverick: A conversation with the man who paints trees to combat bark stripping

According to Smith, the environmental impact of bark stripping is that entire stands of trees in a natural forest will leave pockets of desolation, where the role of that tree in that ecosystem has now been removed. This has knock-on effects on other parts of the environment.

The second type of terrestrial crime that the team deals with is the removal of proteas from the mountain.

“As we know, every part of an ecosystem has a role to play, the flower head of protea plants serves the purpose of ensuring the biodiversity and genetic viability of that population of species. It supports habitats for pollinators and for animals that live underneath the plant. So in removing it, you remove that species and its function from the ecosystem,” she said.

Proteas can be purchased, but Smith said it’s cheaper and easier to try and get it where it grows naturally, so a lot of people do it illegitimately.

“These flowers are taken from the park and sold on the streets. In various markets on the streets of Cape Town, you’ll see rows and rows of buckets of flower heads, chances are that could be illegal. I’m not saying all of them are, but a great deal of them can be illegal,” Smith said.

Smith said the intention with those sorts of crimes was to track where the crime was happening, keep a record and establish a trend line.

“If we see a repeat of that offence happening in the area, we can then say what are the commonalities of where that crime is taking place, and how best can we intervene to prevent that crime from happening,” she said.

If they do arrest someone as a result of an operation, they collect that information in a database and any time they click on a location, all of the information linked to that crime or to that location will come up as a history log – the person that was arrested, the CAS (Crime Administration System) number, and so on.

“It’s all about area integrity management, which is the key driver behind this – looking at the network of conservation estate, marine and terrestrial, and being able to secure it,” Smith said.

While it was quite a hard-line defence between crime and the protected area, Smith said it was a necessary tool to ensure the preservation of the landscape for future generations.

Significant successes

A suspect arrested in the Table Mountain National Park for illegally harvesting proteas. (Photo: Supplied)

A suspect with tree bark harvested illegally from the Table Mountain National Park. (Photo: TMNP)

Almost a year ago, the work done by the operations team led to a successful operation by the SEAM Special Operations Rangers, which resulted in the arrest of three suspects caught in the act of stripping trees in Newlands Forest on 18 April 2023.

Smith said they conducted an extended operation when bark stripping was being reported every single day, with the help of community groups on social media and various stakeholder groups.

“What we ended up doing was what we call a waylay, an extended deployment. We had a team in various locations in a hotspot area known for the number of instances of bark stripping.

“They stayed put for about three days and on the third night, they heard the banging of an axe against a tree in the forest and they signalled to each other … They then gathered together, in a formation, and moved down towards where they heard the sound … They followed the sound without light, made their way to it and found a group of three men in the process of stripping trees with a little fire going.

“They ambushed them and arrested them. We ended up confiscating about 40kg of bark that had been stripped from a tree, so that was a huge success,” Smith said.

But to get to that point took daily information gathering and determining the best possible position to intervene or catch people in the act.

“So behind the scenes, there’s a lot that needs to be done to get and refine our resources to aim for a specific target. There were weeks of work that went into planning this operation, to get people in a location that would be most ideal,” she said.

Three suspects were arrested and charged in terms of the National Environmental Management: Protected Areas Act 57 of 2003, which governs all management of the terrestrial component of the national park.

With regards to arrests, Davids said another noteworthy case that they assisted with was the arrest of a man suspected of terrorising visitors on Lion’s Head and Signal Hill.

“In [December 2023], the incidents started spiking – not that this was not an unusual occurrence, robberies take place everywhere – but this was an interesting case where this suspect was coming in habitually on certain days and targeting specific times. With the help of the girls, we used all the information [trolling Facebook pages and Whatsapp groups with the help of different hiker groups, networks, social groups, runners, hikers, and cyclists] filtering into our operations room,

“Combining that and using the information, we set up a trend. We used the most likely times he would come in, and that enabled us to set up an operation to apprehend him, which we did after some time.

“The unfortunate thing was that we took some time to get that information, but at the end of the day, he was arrested and he went to court [the case is still running],” Davids said.

‘It is an ongoing battle’

Table Mountain National Park’s Sea, Air and Mountain special operations rangers conduct targeted operations to combat environmental crime and ensure the safety of visitors in the park. (Photo: Kristin Engel)

Of the all-women operations centre team, TMNP park manager Megan Taplin said: “They do their work kind of undercover, but the information and the work that they do is vital to our success.

Taplin said just keeping ears to the ground to gather information helped, but it had to be acknowledged that they often fought against organised criminal syndicates that might be run from outside the country.

“It is an ongoing battle, and we don’t always have successes, But often, just by being out on patrols and having our ear to the ground, we’ll stop potential crimes from happening.

“We might disrupt abalone poachers so that they don’t actually get the abalone or they don’t get the abalone to sale, wherein we confiscate it. So it’s not always about actual arrests and successes, it’s also about disrupting the activities that are happening,” Taplin said.

She added that there were extremely diverse systems within the park, and it was important that they targeted these crimes threatening that biodiversity.

She said they were in the process of planning a bigger operations centre with more staff and more technology. DM

Return to “Environmental Activists”