The reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: The real reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Post by Richprins »

Sometimes the police themselves shake down citizens, Lis, especially the Metro Cops in Jhb. Goldenboy's BIL was driven around for 3 hours by them last week before he and his wife dashed into a Police Station to escape. They laid a charge, which meant they had to give their address, and lo and behold shortly afterward the same 3 corrupt cops were circling their home! :evil:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

No way out then :no:

You'll have to risk or stay away :O^

I hope that the saying, that the lightning never hits twice in the same place, is true O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

A recent example:

Cops arrested for extorting R10k in return of not impounding motorist's vehicle
2019-09-10 20:42

Sesona Ngqakamba

Two police officials from the Soweto Flying Squad were arrested on Monday for corruption and extortion, Gauteng police have said.

It is alleged that the cops were driving a marked police vehicle when they pounced on a motorist who was allegedly driving on Klip Valley Road in Kliptown on Sunday.

After stopping the motorist, the officials informed him that the vehicle he was travelling in was stolen and demanded to impound it unless the motorist paid an amount of R10 000, spokesperson Captain Mavela Masondo said.

"The victim arranged R5000, of which the remaining amount would be arranged at a later stage," Masondo said.

However, the following day, the officer then called the victim again requesting he pays the balance. The victim then reported the incident to the SAPS Provincial Anti-Corruption Unit. The unit obtained information from the victim and organised the outstanding amount to be handed over the cops.

"The duo was arrested during the hand-over and have subsequently been detained for corruption and extortion," said Masondo.

They are expected to appear in Protea Magistrate's Court soon.

Members of the public have been advised that police would never ask for a payment in return for an impounded or a stolen vehicle as this is against the law.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News ... e-20190910

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
graham

Post by graham »

Richprins wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:29 am Members of the public have been advised that police would never ask for a payment in return for an impounded or a stolen vehicle as this is against the law.
Which is exactly what they did! 0*\

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

When I was in the hospital after having been hijacked someone, telling me he was a police officer, called me and offered me all my stolen stuff back if I came to Rustenburg (where it had all started) with R2000. Whoever would probably point a gun and take the R2000 and what else I would have had with me :O^

The above, almost, has happened to me in Morocco. We were stopped for speeding and the fine was let's say R500, but if we paid cash without a receipt it would only be R300 O** Actually it was quite funny because there was nothing scary about it and the poor policemen were probably so underpaid that they had to do something to survive.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The statistics released by Police Minister Bheki Cele include sexual offences increasing by 4.6 percent, with an average 113.9 rape cases being recorded daily. An average 57 people are murdered every day, with the Western Cape still recording the country's highest murder figures.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

with an average 113.9 rape cases being recorded daily
Is it really daily? :-?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:yes:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

:shock: O-/ 0-

Alf

Post by Alf »

Our country is like a circus O/

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”