78 000 want US lion hunter banned from SA

Information and Discussions on Hunting
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: 78 000 want US lion hunter banned from SA

Post by Richprins »

okie!

Both forms of "idolisation" have been taking place for firstly painting..maybe 30 000 years, and then trophies, difficult to say when that started... O-/

Maybe even earlier with the Egyptians? Who also enjoyed a rousing animal capture or two, and enshrined animals in their religion, along with all ancient religions, I think? Then the Romans! 0*\ And animal sacrifices etc. , which is still rife here?

It's very complicated, but the point is it's not a new "problem" worldwide...

Photo "hunts" do exist, but obviously much cheaper, and not on par with real hunts.

Some Masai need to prove manhood by killing a lion, and our own president wears his leopard skin outfit at traditional meets... -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

Richprins wrote: Some Masai need to prove manhood by killing a lion, and our own president wears his leopard skin outfit at traditional meets...
but Masai live like Masai... your President not at all 0'
need swiming pool, amphitheatre, houses for the whole family (with the money of taxpayers O-/ ).....
Last edited by nan on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
mouseinthehouse

Post by mouseinthehouse »

Meat eaters hunting and eating an antelope (or a kangaroo) is far more ecologically sound than eating any domestically raised stock particularly factory farmed animals. Meat eating is on the rise by those who are becoming more economically empowered in India and China and together with the meat eating obsession in the western world it is the biggest cause of environmental destruction and species extinction.
More grain is being grown to feed to farmed animals (to be consumed by the wealthy) that are causing environmental destruction and contributing to greenhouse gases than is being grown to feed the global population.

Fortunately I am in a position to choose whether I eat meat or not. All major nutritional expert organisations advising the governments of the EU, the US and Australia have now stated that a balanced vegan or vegetarian diet can fully provide all dietary needs to expectant mothers, lactating mothers, young children and the elderly and everyone in between. Therefore, I have chosen to omit animal products from my diet and as much as I can from other uses in my life. As has my partner and my youngest son. It is the greatest positive influence I can make to both environmental sustainability and compassion to all living creatures.

okie

Post by okie »

Very interesting article here from December 2013 issue of Africa Indaba :

Shooting or Hunting: What is it to be?

Gerhard Damm and Peter Flack

More than a decade ago, representatives and leadership of organized professional hunting in South Africa condemned the practice of shooting canned lions in the country and they were in good company with practically all associations and clubs in Africa and around the world in agreement. We reported quite frequently on “canned shooting” issues and, when researching the subject, I found in African Indaba Volume 4 # 5 (September 2006, page 9), the article “The Shooting of Captive Bred Lions” – the subtitle reading “PHASA1 Policy Statement issued May 2006”.

One phrase from this Statement deserves to be mentioned “…. any member who may be involved in the shooting of captive bred lions is requested to refrain from such activities or resign (his/her) membership of PHASA. Furthermore, PHASA is going public with this stance. A letter will be sent out to the media…”. Reference was made to a PHASA Policy Statement of 1999, which reads under point 1 that “PHASA hereby states categorically and unequivocally that it does not consider the practice of “canned lion shooting” to be a form of hunting” and under point 4 that “PHASA deems an animal to be canned, when that animal cannot sustain itself, breed freely and be hunted under the principles of fair chase”.

Now we heard that PHASA has made an about turn and adopted the position of the South African Predator Breeders’ Association (SAPA) on this matter without alteration (African Indaba has a copy of the PHASA document dated 20.11.2013). What used to be canned lion shooting is now called “Hunting of Captive Bred Lions”. Sounds better, doesn’t it? But it still remains the same old thing. It reminds me of the old Grouch Marx statement, “Of course I have principles. But if you don’t like these, I have others!” Something like this must have been on the mind of those who elected to embrace the money-making machine of canned lion shooting as old school outfitters and professional hunters were apparently steamrollered by the vast majority of PHASA members who adopted the SAPA policy on lions. In this regard, we shouldn’t forget the political support for this position by some of the Conservation/ Environmental departments in South Africa’s nine provinces.

We often hear that the canned lion industry only exists because there is a high demand to shoot these poor beasts but you can probably also reverse this argument, at least to certain extent, if you look at the advertisements for lion “hunts” on the internet, which usually portrays a South African lion “hunt” as a breath-taking adventure. Another argument claims that “the hunting [sic] of captive bred lions assists the conservation of wild lions by reducing hunting pressure on them”.

Well, there is indeed a high demand for hunting a lion in the African wilderness. But lion hunting and their annual quotas are tightly regulated and controlled in all range countries which allow lion hunting. The quotas in these countries will always find eager hunters willing to pay the high prices for the privilege of hunting a wild lion; even if the chances of harvesting a mature male lion are 50/50 at best and not a few hunters go home empty-handed. This category of hunters will continue to hunt wild African lions and thus contribute to lion conservation in more than one way,

This cannot be said of the other type of “hunter” who opts for the “guaranteed” shooting of canned South African lions. Their money goes to the lion breeder and the professional hunter and not a cent finds its way into lion conservation. It is a well-established fact that this kind of lion breeding has no conservation value. If the argument of reduced hunting pressure on wild individuals by hunting captive bred animals has any validity, the question must be asked why do we not then hunt captive-bred large carnivores like grizzlies in North America or brown bears in Eurasia?

1 PHASA = Professional Hunters Association of South Africa

Enough is enough
okie

Post by okie »

mouseinthehouse wrote:...........Fortunately I am in a position to choose whether I eat meat or not. All major nutritional expert organisations advising the governments of the EU, the US and Australia have now stated that a balanced vegan or vegetarian diet can fully provide all dietary needs to expectant mothers, lactating mothers, young children and the elderly and everyone in between.......... .

But not quite the same , is it ;-) What's nicer than a juicy steak , or choppie , over red coals , sizzling away , ........ O/\

Enough is enough
mouseinthehouse

Post by mouseinthehouse »

okie wrote:
mouseinthehouse wrote:...........Fortunately I am in a position to choose whether I eat meat or not. All major nutritional expert organisations advising the governments of the EU, the US and Australia have now stated that a balanced vegan or vegetarian diet can fully provide all dietary needs to expectant mothers, lactating mothers, young children and the elderly and everyone in between.......... .

But not quite the same , is it ;-) What's nicer than a juicy steak , or choppie , over red coals , sizzling away , ........ O/\
okie, having been on the other side for too many years I know what I have foregone. I can say hand on heart, three years later, that I don't miss meat whatsoever. :-) What's nicer is the knowledge that no sentient being gave up their right to life for my palate pleasure. \O

okie

Post by okie »

Hmmm.... didn't you know that plants have feelings too ;-) Just imagine , being a healthy growing lettuce , and then being plucked out of its growing medium right in the prime of its growing cycle 0*\
Or , a celery stalk...... O** ,
And being artificially and unnaturally reared on a hydroponic mix , just for the exclusive pleasure of some human somewhere :shock:

Good grief , it sounds almost the same as " canned hunting " :-?

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

This is off-topic, mith!

But interesting!

PM SG a bit! ;-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Hunting”