Okavango - The Dutch Group *

iNdlovu

Re: Okavango - The Dutch Group

Post by iNdlovu »

Lisbeth wrote:OK, so you will not drown....only get very wet :lol: are there mosquitos?
I'm not so sure about the 'gentleman' part.

But on the "fascinating" part yes :wink:
Yes there are mozzies in the summer, but not usualy a problem in winter/spring

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Lorraine wrote:On foot and so close...what a thrill!

Def on bucket list \O ...can you take a fold up stool?

lp
Absolutely, I have one of those 3 legged fold up milking stools that goes everywhere in the bush with me. You guys really think it's roughing it.
No where near.
Comfotable beds a problem, take a foldup stretcher, en suite bathrooms - how about a loo with a view, a nylon loo/shower tent/cubicle with a comfortable seat. The rules for the loo are: you leave the toilet roll on a branch on the path to the loo, if it's not on the branch the loo is occupied, if it's on the branch, it's your turn. Hot showers, cordon bleu meals, wine (all be it in an enamel mug). Coffee in bed in the morning should you wish. Fresh Bream on the menu at least once for dinner. Laundry facilities 20 paces from camp. Stand up tent, we take an extra mocoro.
we can arrange almost whatever your heart desires, just no hair dryers :twisted:

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

The night settles in, I have been in stiches over the nervousness in camp. The watch roster is apportioned and I leave the light of the camp fire and head for my tent. I listen for the others rushing for the safety of their tents, nervous whispers all around. Silence, but I know few are sleeping. Suddenly the bellowing of a mating pair of hippos shatters the night about 50 metres from camp. The night is blasted from existance, an air raid from the battle of Britain, beams of light from 10 flashlights pierce the darkness searching for danger. I quietly caution them between fits of smouthered laughter about shining flashlights at night. If there is an ellie or something in camp, they won't take kindly to lights in their eyes. Silence once again. A Hyena whoops close by, the air raid search lights roam the skies. I crawl out of my tent and confiscate all the flashlights. At about two in the morning I hear some scratching going on directly above my tent. This little fellow has come to watch the circus, his perch, a branch about 2 feet above my tent.
I alternate between sitting and dozing, listening to the fainter sounds and the watch pushing the log further into the fire from time to time. The night passes and as the sun breaks the horizon you can almost hear a combined sigh of relief from the group. The excited chatter follows, they have survived another night in Africa.

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

The next two days roll into one. Game walks, more of the same animals, foreys out to walk different islands, finding all kinds of interesting stuff, ellie skulls, wildebees skulls etc. But on foot , no sighting is the same, each herd of animals react differently. My special interest is the reactions and interactions between various animals in a herd, so whilst the group were enjoying the view, I was ecstatic with the time I had to pay attention to the goings on. All too often they would get impatient and want to move on whilst I could have stayed for hours in the same place. The nights and evenings were special, listening to the people talking about the experiences of the day. These were people who had never been in "the wild" before so it was a completely new experience for them, one which they seemed to be thoroughly enjoying.
On the afternoon of the last day we took 2 mocoros out into a crystal clear lagoon and fished for supper. A good catch of fresh bream lightly fried in beer batter made for a stunning meal. This was followed up with the group of polers putting on a traditional dance show around the fire in thanks for a successful "expedition". The Hollanders were blown away and soon joined in the festivities.
The next morning we broke camp, loaded our kit in the mocoros and headed back to meet our transport.
Along the way we were treated to a brief sighting of a Sitatunga, one of the shyest antelope ever. In fact in my years of going up to the Okavango, I have only seen one on maybe 5 different occassions.

Along the way, this chap decided to try and head us off at the pass, so to speak. ID anyone?
He looks like one of the Cobras to me.

On our late afternoon arrival at the 'taxi rank' the Samel was waiting for us and we headed back to Maun for a well deserved luxurious shower and restaurant dinner at Audi Camp
The Okavango had not dissapointed once again and the best part.... we never encountered another human during the entire time. I've said it before....Eden

Thanks to those that have kept up with this naration, I hope you all enjoyed, and that it has stirred a hunger deep within you to visit the wild places we are so blessed with in Africa.

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

I found some more random pics whilst looking for some other stuff....

The Entire cast except for the photographer
The Sitatunga
Mid morning light
The Fire dance for the group
The 'taxi' rank
Our transport in and out of the delta
One of my favorite pics..."peace & tranguility"

Moggiedog

Re: Okavango - The Dutch Group *

Post by Moggiedog »

Looks and sounds amazing. Only thing - those mokoros get hard on the butt and back after a few hours :-)

nan

Re: Okavango - The Dutch Group *

Post by nan »

you are so right :-0 ... but so beautifull \O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/

Return to “Travel Tales of Botswana Parks”