Elephant Ears and Newbies

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Elephant Ears and Newbies

Post by Richprins »

Fantastic stuff, Moggie! ^Q^

The bushbuck are theoretically the "Chobe" subspecies, so have different markings!

Alcohol should be bought in the villages? -O-

Hope the vertigo is ok now! \O

Newbie seems to be ok and enjoyed the trip..who wouldn't! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Sounds like your "pathetic rope fence" did the trick. ;-)

pooky

Post by pooky »

Just caught up Moggiedog. ^Q^ ^Q^

What an awesome trip so far O/\ O/\
Great to have you sharing it with us \O \O

That video was quite scary - I don't think I would have just sat there so calmly 0*\ 0*\ 0-
I wonder if the tent was able to be used again :-?

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Bright and early I headed towards the showers - my eyes never still in my head as I searched for any lurking animals that may see me as breakfast. A lone elephant looked my way and carried on munching his breakfast. Birds and small ground creatures scuttled away from this two legged monster that had invaded their territory.
Back at camp and the sounds of the bush were interrupted by the humans surfacing from their slumber. Breakfast consumed and the necessary done we headed out to see what we could see. We had agreed we would all go our own way which would give newbie and I a chance of spotting some game.
The first hour or so we meandered through the terrain in convoy but it wasn't long before newbie and I and one other vehicle where on our own. At least we were in the front!
Plenty of general game to be seen - and the bird life as always was spectacular.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Still fairly early and some of the furry animals were busy washing then scrounging for breakfast. Lechwes bounced through the plant infested water - only to stop and watch us as we watched them. ImageA hippo popped up to say hello
Imageand a few ducks decided a crocodile was a good place to catch the morning sun.Image

Not having tracks for Africa, navigating our way to the lunchtime rendezvous was a hit and miss experience. Being the dry season it was amazing how much water was about. Finally we were back on a more respectable (if one can call it that) roadImageImage We had lost our "venter trailor" as they had headed off on a different fork in the road. We eventually arrived a tad later than we had been expected. We were greeted by the rest of the crew who were on the verge of heading back to camp. Lunch out of the way it was once again time to head for camp and prepare for our sunset cruise down the Okavango.

On the way home we met some intrepid travelers who were testing their vehicle to see if it was amphibian.Image The first vehicle came bombing through without problems - the second vehicle made a slight error in judgement on the route they chose.
Back at camp - our resident elephant had decided he wanted a late lunch and the best place to find tasty morsels is in human campsites! Image. Fortunately our rope was still in place and we had not had any disturbances in and around our tents.

nan

Post by nan »

lot of species in the 5th pictures O/\
Duck will stay Ducks... in the mouth (almost) of a Croc 0*\

and Ellie in the camp ;-) (I had the same... and nothing happened)

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

On the way home we met some intrepid travelers who were testing their vehicle to see if it was amphibian.
Had to giggle about that despite the fact that the driver of that diving car might have had a different view on things. O**

Ellies so close to humans - appears a bit unreal. 0:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

The one bridge looks fine, but that water crossing is not something I would like to do. O-/ I got my GPS (Garmin Nuvi 3597) and downloaded Basecamp to play on creating little routes to drive in Moremei. Lots of roads with warning sign so I will stay on the main tracks.

Lovely sightings of cranes, spoonbills and ducks as well as Lechwe and hippo. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ Did you find any crocs and hippos in the camp or does the elie make sure they stay away.

I have just reminded SO to pack extra rope to keep the elies out, but what about the crocs. :-?

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Wow, fantastic stuff O/\

Some great sightings and hairy driving ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Ellie in camp :shock:

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

That ellie in camp looks huge and scary, moggiedog ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^