My Dream of Many Years Come True...Almost!

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: My Dream of Many Years Come True...Almost!

Post by Lisbeth »

Pumbaa wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:55 pm I have been looking for one of those for decades and all of a sudden I see them everywhere .....not that I mind

So true, Lisbeth,

I always wanted to see a crested barbet and it took indeed a couple of trips to Kruger until we saw our first one and then most easily during each trip since then but not only one…... \O

Love your malachite shots - Always one of our favourites O/\ and also the thick billed weaver - I simply love their nests :-)
Good thing that they do turn up sooner or later ;-)
:ty: Pumbaa!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Unfortunately, on my last day it rained in the morning :-( Vincent and I were supposed to go for a walk, my back permitting, and I had hoped to maybe see elephants and lechwes.....but it was not to be (0!)

Instead Dineo, Vincent and I went to see the Chief of the local village after lunch. It looks as if I have made them laugh ;-)
IMG_6080.JPG
IMG_6081.JPG
At first, I did not want to go as I hate the feeling of being looked at as someone looking at the locals as animals in a zoo, but as there was nothing else, they finally managed to convince me ;-)

We took the OSV and drove for about 15/20 minutes. The village was very spread out, but as always looking rather squalid. I was introduced to the Chief, sorry but I don't remember his name :o0ps:, a very nice but rather serious gentleman, as demanded by his position, I suppose -O- In Any case we had a long talk, almost an hour I think. I asked him how the various Village, Chiefs, Kings etc. systems and their relation with the Government worked. He told me about the difficulties, the jealousies and many other things. Rather fascinating. Sounding kind of Middle Age like to me, but that is not surprising ;-) I told him about our famous Swiss Federal System and the unique "The people have the last word". He was quite impressed lol

The village centre, village life and kids coming out of the school. There were quite a lot of young men around doing nothing. I suppose that the disoccupation is rather high in places like that. There is only tourism or farming -O-
Almost forgot to tell you....A middle-aged gentleman wanted to marry me, seriously :yes: =O: (The one in front of the big tree with the brown shirt).

IMG_6083.JPG
IMG_6084.JPG
IMG_6085.JPG
IMG_6086.JPG
IMG_6087.JPG

Dangerous wildlife O-/
IMG_6088.JPG
Not so dangerous lol
IMG_6092.JPG
Sorry no dinner pics :-?

End of day four.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Alf

Post by Alf »

A very attractive young woman like yourself Lisbeth I’m sure all the men would’ve wanted to marry you

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lovely Lisbeth,

and even a proposal of marriage \O

Love the woodie O/\

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Alf wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:12 pm A very attractive young woman like yourself Lisbeth I’m sure all the men would’ve wanted to marry you
0/0 0/0
You must leave out the young, but for the rest, I am sure that you are right they wouldn't know what they were up too :twisted: lol

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Almost married, Lis! ^Q^ ^Q^

Very interesting educational trip there for you, and good to see the kids neat and at school! \O

Well done, and I think you enjoyed the chat! :yes:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:32 am Mopiri is part of a group called Roots and Journeys (I normally don't like hotel groups, no personal touch, but I had no choice) https://rootsandjourneys.com/
As they are camps at different kinds of location I am sure that some people take a tour of all of them ;-)

Setari Camp: https://www.setaricamp.com/ ( I don't really think that there is much difference from one to the other.)

If you want to, I can send you some of the e-mails that we exchanged, with the various options ( there are some cheaper ones for younger people who can walk and rough it a bit more) or you can get in contact with Christian or Nadia at Africa Geographic. You can also noose around here: https://mailchi.mp/africageographic/che ... 3cf4ca8e69

The Maun/camp flight is included in the price and done by the camp probably.

I am sure that you want to know the price, so here it is ;-) Four nights all included (less tips) return from Maun just short of $ 2000.00 incl. transfer costs. The flight Johannesburg/ Maun return was R5663.00 + tips $156.00. With €1000.00 more I stayed in SA for a month included all flights O**
(AG only takes US dollars)
That is already a lot of information. Thanks so much for this comprehensive post! O0 And I already saved the links to browse the websites a bit more thoroughly, now that I have a lot of time for couch safaris. :-0

How come that you approach Christian? Did you have an previous contact with him? I would never think of (read: dare) asking people like him for support in my travel plannings. Or did I misunderstand something and he is kinda like a travel agent :-?

But if and when we finally decide for Bots one of these days, you can rest assured that I'll come back to you for even more advice / questions. :-0

But for now I'm back and ready to read about others' adventures again ;-)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I had been in contact with Christian Boix way back, when we/I wanted to go to the Okavanga Delta, but I gave it up because it was too expensive.
This time he was actually stepping in for Nadia, who was away on an educational trip in Botswana.

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

This is a rather large village. Is the staff at the lodge locals?

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Some, but several from Maun. The son of the Chief was working at the Camp.

Return to “Travel Tales of Botswana Parks”