Frost, Fires & Family Time

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Frost, Fires & Family Time

Post by Lisbeth »

PJL wrote: TBC 0'
:o0ps:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
PJL

Post by PJL »

Lisbeth wrote:
PJL wrote: TBC 0'
:o0ps:
My fault Lis - I edited that in after you had replied ;-) lol \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

TBC 0' ... I anticipate more major stuff coming along O**

Lovely photos of the regulars in the wonderful morning glow [O] Oh, the sunrise pic is great too! I like the detail of those two smaller clouds in there. \O

And a sighting of a caracal... without even leaving the camp :shock:
Hope you proved to be a good husband and loving father and never told your family about what they missed out on 0' :twisted: lol

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PJL

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote:Hope you proved to be a good husband and loving father and never told your family about what they missed out on 0' :twisted: lol
Nope... I'm afraid excitement overtook me there... kids were very annoyed 0' =O:

PJL

Post by PJL »

We were treated to some further excitement at various points during our stay O:V
MZNP isn't huge so it makes sense that these aren't included in chronological order....

This one was a long way away but quite out in the open which was great O/\

I was quite excited to see this grumpy old lady again - she had prevented us from cheetah tracking on our last visit 0*\ =O:

This might be the same individual as the first pic... but another location and another day so we counted it as another sighting \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Oh yes of course 0*\ The black rhino was definitely missing :-0 :-0 lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Yoh! You do have a way with enthralling tales, Peej! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

I think those are two different rhino... :-? Astounding how the blackies' horns (anterior) get so long in some places! \O

The cloud pics may have something to do with contrails from aircraft? -O-

Lions are very instinct-driven, especially in the absence of "elders", so they will stalk/play regarding anything unusual, especially with the added instincts following birthing. Easy game for them out there for the time being? No hyenas to threaten the cubs for example.

Very interesting, and 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Stunning photos of the lionesses PJL. You were right about the lactating female. First cubs in 130 years have now been confirmed in the park. You heard the news here first folks. \O

The black rhino sighting & pics are also excellent. ^Q^ \O

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The closest we got to a blackie was find its poo 0*\

Well.... there is always a next time. lol

Awesome sighting! O/\

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PJL

Post by PJL »

Lisbeth wrote:Oh yes of course 0*\ The black rhino was definitely missing :-0 :-0 lol
lol lol Yip... 4 sightings on this trip which was really fantastic - I've saved the best for last as you'll see now ;-)
Richprins wrote:Yoh! You do have a way with enthralling tales, Peej! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

I think those are two different rhino... :-? Astounding how the blackies' horns (anterior) get so long in some places! \O

The cloud pics may have something to do with contrails from aircraft? -O-

Lions are very instinct-driven, especially in the absence of "elders", so they will stalk/play regarding anything unusual, especially with the added instincts following birthing. Easy game for them out there for the time being? No hyenas to threaten the cubs for example.

Very interesting, and 0()
Not sure whether the 2 were different or not - the one sighting was too far away to tell properly. And yes, the anterior horn does get very long, and it's generally a sign of their age. The front horn wears down through use, but the back one is free to grow... so generally the longer the rear horn the older the animal is \O

And yes the cubs should be fine. No threat from hyenas - the only species of hyena in the park is brown hyena but I can't see them causing any trouble.
Dewi wrote:Stunning photos of the lionesses PJL. You were right about the lactating female. First cubs in 130 years have now been confirmed in the park. You heard the news here first folks. \O

The black rhino sighting & pics are also excellent. ^Q^ \O
Thanks Dewi! The fading light made for quite dramatic pics of the lionesses \O
Mel wrote:The closest we got to a blackie was find its poo 0*\

Well.... there is always a next time. lol

Awesome sighting! O/\
Rhino poo 0*\ 0*\
Hope they pop out for you next time (the rhino rather than the poo) :yes:

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”