Richtersveld September 2011 *

Bushveld Jock

Re: Richtersveld September 2011

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Great TR Toko and love those horses. \O The closest I got to them was when I stayed over at Seeheim Hotel. Near Sesriem people coming from Luderitz showed us the damage they got from driving in the sand storm near Luderitz. Sand frosted light shields and paint stripped on the bonnet. We then decided to give it a miss, but now regret it...

Richtersveldt is a great place to visit and can show you another side when you visit gain. The 3'rd time we went the river down to De Hoop was a small stream after it came down a few weeks before.

I'll ask my SO to dust off those pics and share some later.

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Toko

Post by Toko »

Hi all

here the Pinocchio formation and the real Pinochhio (at the age of 66):

Image Image

Toko

Post by Toko »

Great remarks and comments - thanks, you are all sweeties!

... and some more rocks - listen they are talken to you...

Around Kokerboomkloof:

On the Rolling Stones view point:

Toko

Post by Toko »

Image all
Poplap wrote:
Toko wrote: \O We spent an evening in a stock post aka plastic covered matjieshut and had a great time there with the herders.

Wow, Toko, do tell us more! Please?

Resep wees om n matjie te ontwerp

True story short: We stayed at Gannakouriep camp when two of the herders appeared at sunrise and asked for engine oil and some tools to fix their bakkie. Luckily they got it and invited us for the evening to share their meal in their nearby plastic covered matjieshut. So we spent a lovely evening there, learned lots and had (together with the field ranger which was a close friend of them and joined us) to break the park rules when driving back to the camp long after dark (The next evening we had braai at our camp and guess what - the herders insisted to wash the dishes) That's why I love the Northern Cape and it's people - I should learn some more Afrikaans though.
The communication went very slow because we did not understand each other very well, them speaking Afrikaans and us English, but nevertheless interesting info came through and I learned lots about their lifestyle.
They tried to explain us why and when they move from stock post to stock post and how to build a Nama matjies hut – a traditional one with the framework covered with reets mat when in use or the more recent ones covered with plastic sheets.

Now here is the instruction Image, I did not understand everything, but the guessing what was said was part of all the fun we had this evening.

Benodighede:
50kg Biesies
2 tot 3 Else
Gevlegkte toue gemaak uit Hessian
1 Stryk plankie (handgrootte)
25 liter warm water
1 sny mes

Image Ons moet kilometers ver stap om die biesies in die veld te gaan pluk.
Image Die biesies word dan uitgerood totdat dit n ligte geel kleur afskei.
Image Week die geel kleurige biesies in die 25 liter warm water tot redelik sak.
Image Die biesies is nou gereed om gesteek te word (gebruik die els om die biesies te steek, natuurlik een vir enn).
Image Trek die gevlegte Hessian deur die gesteekte biesies.
Image Gebruik die stryk plankie om die gevlegte biesies te stryk.
Image Soom die randte van die gevlegte biesies en sny die kante af met die sny mes.
Image Die matjie is gereed om gebruik te word.

Katja

Post by Katja »

Sounds like an interesting meet you had Toko. The instruction sounds great, well at least my translation to it.

1) I have to go for kilometers into the veld where the beasts got stuck.
2) okay I leave out the second part, it is too cruel
3) delete, even more cruel
4) I have to turn them around :shock:
5) I have to stick someone into the beasts
6) Now we need a rope to fix the beast
7) well it seems to end up in a mess
8) it is finished with one word

Does this make sence? -O -O

Toko

Post by Toko »

Katja, it makes perfect sense, it's a description how to build a harubbieshuis (english translation: Hartebeesthut)
and it's a bit cruel, yes.

Toko

Post by Toko »

Lisbeth, have a look what it looks like when it is gereed om gebruik te word and you will understand Katjas superb translations Image

Toko

Post by Toko »

Informative Intermezzo Image while Toko is occupied otherwise Image or playing with the ellies the whole day Image

The Richtersveld is not only home to an old pastoralist culture (called „transhumanance“, a semi-nomadic way of life of the herders who move with their herds of goats from one seasonal grazing area to another), but also to an impressive diversity of plants due to specific clima conditions of the area.
The Richtersveld region is part of the Namaqualand and the Succulent Karoo. So what is what now?

The Karoo-Namib landscape has three sub-regions:
1. The Namib desert has unpredictable summer rainfalls (less than 100mm annual rainfall inlands and less than 25mm at the coast). There is only sparse vegetation, mostly short-lived herbs and grasses.
2. The Nama-Karoo has sporadic summer rainfalls (100to 300mm annual rainfall). The vegetation is dominated by Karoobossies (low shrubs).
3. The Succulent Karoo has regular winter rainfalls (about 150mm annual rainfall). The characteristic vegetation are dwarf shrubs with succulent leaves.
And here we are, in the Succulent Karoo – a region well-known for its bio-diversity with over 5,000 species of plants, of which are about half endemic. As the name indicates, there a succulents (plants that can store water in thick leaves or swollen stems), but also geophytes (plants that store water in underground organs like bulbs), annual plants (spring flowers as daisies) and a low number of tree species.

The Succulent Karoo now has four regions: Namaqualand, Western Mountain Karoo, Tankwa Karoo, Little Karoo.

Namaqualand is the region of the Succulent Karoo that is influenced by winter rainfall Image and fog. And there are again different regions:

1. The Knersvlakte is a landscape of flat plains with white quarz gravels north of the Olifants river and has about 150mm rainfall per year.
2. The Hardeveld is part of the Great Escarpement, an area of granite mountains and hills with 200mm rainfall.
3. Kamiesberg is the coldest, wettest and highest place in Namaqualand with 400mm rainfall per year. It is a spot of large granite domes (up to 1,700 m high).
4. The Sandveld is the sandy strip on the coast with 100 mm (north) to 150mm (south) annual rainfall.
5. And the Richtersveld which is a transitional zone with several ecosystems and rainfalls between 50 mm (on the valley floors) and 300mm rainfall (on west-facing mountain slopes). It is located between the winter rainfall zone of Namaqualand and the summer rainfall zone of the Nama Karoo and has three biomes: The Succulent Karroo biome is predominant, but there is also a part of desert biome in the east and north and on the higher mountains you find a bit of Fynbos. Furthermore the mountain slopes tend to run in north-south direction, so the malmokkies and clouds don’t reach the interior. That means, that the west facing slopes get pretty good rains, but the east facing slopes are drier and that’s why there are found some Nama Karoo species such as euphorbias.

Toko

Post by Toko »

Vistas & Scenery

Afternoon skies

Late morning vista

A view point at lunchtime

Desert scenery

Some green in the vlakte

Richtersveld sands

Mountain scenery with stock post tent

Toko