Across the Frontier into Eden*

PJL

Re: Across the Frontier into Eden

Post by PJL »

Sharifa wrote:Thanks PJL \O
Where do Norman and Zwaai fit into the family tree?
In 2008 Gina and her mother Kamkwa had cubs a few weeks apart. Gina had 2 cubs - Josie and a male, while Kamkwa had a single male cub. The 2 male cubs are Norman and Zwaai, though I'm not sure which boy belonged to which mother! Gina and Kamkwa stuck together during this time, so the 3 cubs grew up together and continued to stick together for a while after they had matured. Josie has since split from the boys and is often found around the middle or south of the park, whilst the half-brothers Norman and Zwaai still hang out together and tend to stick to the northern side of the park. O:V

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

Checking in was a breeze and we get our key. We head to our Rondawel, a HK2N unit. Although we booked as soon as reservations opened for December 2013 we could not get a log cabin and no cancellations came up. No issues with that. This unit costs R395 a night and we were not expecting anything fancy. The Park was busy and crowded, don't go in the peak holiday season to Wilderness if you do not like crowds and children cycling in camp.

Our unit in the middle of the photo

The view form our unit 0*\

Did I say it was crowded :O^

We still O:V as we not planning to spend much time in camp. Then we find we do not have towels or soap :-? which are supposed to be included. No braai Grid :-? Cobwebs all over the place :shock: Paint peeling of the ceiling and walls :shock: 0-

I look at the driver and I know that look :-0 . I go for a shower to cool off and guess what, the drain is blocked so I flood the floor =O: =O: =O:

The driver say, get ready we going to a bird hide. We stop at reception and the driver tells them exactly what he thinks. He asks for directions to the bird hide and they ask him what bird hides O/ . We exit the Camp but ask the Gate Guard how to get to the Malachite Hide, He tells us just take this dirt road and carry on straight. However after about two km there is no straight only left or right 0*\ :-? 0-

We go back and he still tells us straight on the dirt road O/ =O: The driver now is fuming :-0

We pull out the not too good map we are given and figure how to get to the hide. Must say it lived up to its name O:V

Adult Malachite

Juvenile Malachite

We had a wonderful time at Wilderness during our two day stay only getting back to camp for evening braai and sleeping O** There are four beautiful hikes with great scenery and birding and three bird hides. Most of the time we were the only occupants in the hide O:V

When we got back from the hide, still no towels, no soap, but the cobwebs were still there and we had a braai grid. The driver just shook his head and went for a swim in the Touws River =O: =O: =O:

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

Lisbeth wrote:Too busy and too neglected 0*\

We stayed in Wilderness some years back, but at a beautiful B&B right on the river facing the sunset. We did not see any kingfishers though, even if we did the trail. :-(
We made a note of some good looking B&Bs Lis if/when we return to this part of the world.

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

Super Mongoose wrote:All stunning pics Sharifa and Duke! Love all the birds!
^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

We were staying at Ebb and Flow North last year July and had a great time! It was super quite with only a few huts occupied and no campers. There were nothing fancy about the huts, but they were clean... the next morning a flock of 7 of Knysna Loeries occupied the trees in front of our hut. Later when we went for a hike, we stood for an whole hour under a tree full of Knysna Loeries, fabulous!

BUT we'll take your advise and not visit Ebb & Flow during peak season!
You lucky fish SM :-) seeing all those Turacos O/\ O\/ For this stage of our trip, our mission was to find the Knysna Turaco and Half Collared Kingfisher. Yep, definitely will not return over Christmas Holidays. I think they just ran out of clean towels and soap during the holidays -O- and may have had cleaning staff issues -O-

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

If you like birdies then you will enjoy the next few episodes. There are three hides. I have already mentioned the Malachite Hide which is on Bo-Langvlei Lake and was the most productive one. We spent most of our time in this one. There is a Hide on Rondevlei Lake and we got mostly red knobbed Coots and Cormorants here. It is suppose to be good for Purple Gallinule, Black Crake and Baillon's Crake. The Gallinule Hide is near the Fairy Knowe Hotel and you have to pick up the key to the hide from the hotel. The hotel has riverside chalets and looks like a good place to stay. At this one too it was quiet when we visited.

All the bird photos to follow were taken at Malachite Hide

White Throated Swallow

This Reed Cormorant perched close to us and it was good to see it preening itself. The neck feathers looked velvet like O:V

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

nan wrote:magnificent Cormorant O/\
I saw one too today... but not the same and so far away 0*\
Time for trip to South Africa nan :-0

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The beach is nice and even the village is not bad. You can do parachute gliding too (I hope that you do not mind, Sharifa ;-) )

The camp is out of sight on the left hand side on the river, if I don't error :-? The water in the foreground is the lagoon.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Duke

Post by Duke »

Lis, I offered paragliding. The reply I got, "Are you nuts" :-0

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

I don't do paragliding Lis and OK for you to laugh Rob :-0 , but feet firmly on the ground.

The Malachite Kingfishers were out in numbers and put on a a show for us O/\ O\/

Grumpy adult, looking like Donald Duck :-0

and shouting his displeasure

at this juvenile

who shouts right back, chill old guy O**

and we saw a few of them diving for fish, some successfully, others not.....

Duke

Post by Duke »

RobertT wrote: =O: =O: =O:
Even offered the highest Bungee Jump =O: =O: =O:

not that I would have done it myself O-/

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”