Back to Mountain Zebra

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Back to Mountain Zebra

Post by Lisbeth »

That's great, Alfie \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
PJL

Post by PJL »

Richprins wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:14 am Superb, Peej! :-0 :-0 :-0

They do blend in well there, and look nice and "clean" with fewer parasites and flies etc!

The young males are going to get kicked out by the boss at some stage... O-/
Yeah it's going to be interesting to see how long those young males are tolerated, and what the park plans to do with the lions. I'm amazed some haven't been moved out already O**
Flutterby wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:34 am Such focus in their eyes when they're walking!! \O \O Fantastic pics! ^Q^ ^Q^
Thanks Flutts! Having them come so close was brilliant \O
Alf wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:34 am Stunning pictures ^Q^
Thanks Alf X#X
Pumbaa wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:41 pm WoW, PJL,

what magical lion sighting and the shots are simply awesome ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Really was a magical sighting Pumbaa :yes:
Not sure how we'll top that one :-? lol
Mel wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:17 pm
PJL wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:07 pm It's very frustrating knowing how depleted Addo is on lion at the moment... all as a result of finances as far as I can tell.
There are apparently over 20 lion in MZNP at the moment. I'm sure the youngsters will have to be moved at some stage \O
Have you got any info on how far the "corridor" project towards Camdeboo has evolved? Maybe, if they manage to realise that
the lions could stay as there would be a larger area to roam and not all the buffs at MZ would get eaten lol

What a lion sighting :shock: Considering how vast Mountain Zebra is, you would think the lions had every opportunity to avoid
people - but they gave their best to please you :-0

Outstanding photos!!! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Thanks Mel, despite the appearance of MZNP being big it's a lot smaller than Addo main game area so I was surprised that we had struggled to find lion up to that point lol
Not sure about the corridor project. I think it's a very long way off O**

PJL

Post by PJL »

Alf wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:22 pm Today we did the link road, rooiplaat loop and kranskop loop and no cats in sight :-(

But we did find the den of the bat eared foxes
Glad you got to see the foxes Alf ^Q^
No cats at all during your stay?

PJL

Post by PJL »

After a lion sighting like that we were ready to pack up and go home. Nothing would beat it lol

However we continued to have a few nice sightings on the way back to camp. First up a bushpig which you don't normally see there... perhaps the drought had brought it out

And of course we couldn't leave without saying goodbye to our foxes ;-)

I had a thought that perhaps the lions would end up somewhere in the valley near the Umgeni 4x4 trail so convinced everyone that we should do the trail one last time before leaving. It was pretty quiet apart from some zebra

Part way up the more complicated sections the front right tyre went over what must have been a sharp stone as it suddenly started hissing 0*\
At least it was fairly open where we stopped. After a couple of minutes of getting the jack out etc we heard something that sounded like a death-cry nearby so I was very much on my toes getting the tyre swapped out :shock: :shock:

Perhaps the lions had made a kill somewhere nearby... whatever it was we never did see it -O-
Thankfully we made it back to camp without further issue and I plugged the tyre well enough to act as a spare for the way home \O

After packing up we trundled down the main road to leave. Some buffalo were moving along from monkeyland

The last sighting before the gate was a goshawk. I couldn't quite work out if it's a dark chanting or just a darker shade of pale chanting variety... still not totally sure -O- 0:

All in all it had been a very productive trip. It might be a small park, but it always seems to deliver \O \O

Alf

Post by Alf »

Great sightings you had indeed ^Q^

No lions for us once again. Haven't seen any in about 4 trips there

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I really think that you saw all the best of the park \O

Thank you for doing such a splendid TT, both text- and photo-wise ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Bushpig! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Very lucky always you are, Peej! ^Q^ ^Q^

Just curious, do you have lock-nuts on the wheels...I do and dread the day I have to change wheels as I don't know how to get them off and some mates have said it is not worth it? O-/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PJL

Post by PJL »

No lock nuts on ours so all quite a simple process. The only pain is the jack which takes forever to get near the height needed to lift the car 0*\

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Awesome bushpig sighting and shots, PJL :-0 :-0 :-0

and indeed a more than productive trip X#X X#X X#X

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Bad luck with the tyre 0*\ , but nice bush pig sighting!! ^Q^ ^Q^ Thanks for sharing another fab trip with us! \O \O

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”