Flutts, the Brat and Mommo in Natal (Part One: Mkuze)

Toko

Re: Flutts, the Brat and Mommo in Natal (Part One: Mkuze)

Post by Toko »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ Very good birding and rhinoing there :-0

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Indeed! \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

31 August, Mkuze - iMfolozi

We were up at 5 to pack the car and make our way to iMfolozi.

We stopped at Malibala hide again but it was all quiet except for these two birds.

Golden-breasted Bunting

Rattling Cisticola -O-

This precious one came to say goodbye. 0/*

Just after leaving the park, we spotted this kitty close the road...don't know if it was an AWC or just a feral cat. :-?

This little hut is also not far from the gate....so beautifully painted. While we were stopped, two little faces appeared at our window from nowhere so we gave them a bit of money...these people really do live in the styx and have nothing! :-(

A roadblock on the way. :-)

So, a very short, but sweet, trip to Mkuze. I had had absolutely no expectations for this park and maybe that's why I left feeling like we'd just found a little gem!! :-0 :-0

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

To me it sounds very good \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Nice sightings and pics again Flutt's. \O

Sounds like a nice little reserve to visit.

Our police are out in force when we have a cow on the road. They come fully armed and shoot them. -O- =O:

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Duke

Post by Duke »

Flutterby wrote:31 August, Mkuze - iMfolozi

So, a very short, but sweet, trip to Mkuze. I had had absolutely no expectations for this park and maybe that's why I left feeling like we'd just found a little gem!! :-0 :-0
Our thoughts too Flutts and we want to make a summer trip when all the migrant birds will be there :yes:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

That cat looks quite light in colour, so I would think it's not an AWC. But then again, I'm used to those up north-westernly, hence down south the might look different.

Great and numerous bird sightings all around, Flutts! O/\

Reading what you have to say about the state of maintenance, I immediately though SP. But looking at the photos of the accomm, there is definitely some more quality, at the least to the eye. Just take that thatched roof above the sitting area, e.g. A very arty shot, btw, because at first I thought as well it was above the braai and thought the people who had engineered it had lost their marbles. =O: Another good thing about the accomm is the mosquito nets. Would love to see them at Nossob for example. 0'

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Lovely bird sightings Flutts, and the Rhino's must've been very exciting. ^Q^

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lisbeth wrote:To me it sounds very good \O
We enjoyed it! \O
Dewi wrote:Nice sightings and pics again Flutt's. \O

Sounds like a nice little reserve to visit.

Our police are out in force when we have a cow on the road. They come fully armed and shoot them. -O- =O:
Worth a visit Dewi. ;-) Oh dear, poor cows! :shock:
Duke wrote:Our thoughts too Flutts and we want to make a summer trip when all the migrant birds will be there :yes:
Must be amazing in summer! \O
Mel wrote:That cat looks quite light in colour, so I would think it's not an AWC. But then again, I'm used to those up north-westernly, hence down south the might look different.

Great and numerous bird sightings all around, Flutts! O/\

Reading what you have to say about the state of maintenance, I immediately though SP. But looking at the photos of the accomm, there is definitely some more quality, at the least to the eye. Just take that thatched roof above the sitting area, e.g. A very arty shot, btw, because at first I thought as well it was above the braai and thought the people who had engineered it had lost their marbles. =O: Another good thing about the accomm is the mosquito nets. Would love to see them at Nossob for example. 0'
Mel, we were always comparing to Kruger (as that's the only SANParks park we visit) and there were pros and cons on both sides. Mpila also had mozzie nets, but they were all full of holes!! :O^

Mkuze has definitely got one thing right...making the best of their hides. The walkways are in a bad state, but the actual hides are great. kuMasinga is very big with plenty of space for lots of viewers, and the hide is built out over the water, with grids underfoot, so you can see what's happening below you. \O

We didn't see any ellies, cats or dogs, but we there was so much other game to see. Probably if they had not been burning the bush we would have seen a lot more. \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks for this Flutts \O

I agreed on the hides X#X

Return to “Travel Tales of Mkuze Game Reserve”