Back to Basics - the Primitive Trail*

Peter Connan

Re: Back to Basics - the Primitive Trail

Post by Peter Connan »

Previously, I have found Giraffe to be very skittish about people on foot, so I started early with this one.

But he hung around.

Shortly after the giraffe, we came across three rhinos. Sibelo believed it was a male, female and youngster. The male was trying to chase the calf away so that he could mate with the cow. This is quite a noisy process.

This was a relatively short day, and we reached our last camp just in time for lunch.

Water is sourced by digging a hole in the river sand close to the flow of the river, so that the water filters through the sand. The hole needs to be emptied three or four times before the water is really clean, or even better left for an hour or two.

Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

After lunch, most of the crew took a siesta under the trees on the other side of the river.

Pied Wagtail:

After the siesta, a few of us took a walk down the river to see if we could see something drinking. We took a seat on the riverbank and waited, but not much happened except for an endless procession of butterflies visiting the wildflowers.

Eventually, just before sunset, a herd of buffalo:

Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

We were treated to a glorious sunset, one of those that last for minutes.

This was my last chance to get some stars, so I tried to make the most of it.

Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

One of the guys found this crawling up his leg:

We started by crossing the river. It was still quite deep,so off with shoes and socks. Half-way through the river, Sibelo turned around and saw this:

We crossed the river, cleaned our feet and got our shoes back on. By that time the ellie had made his way down to the river and was drinking. Selfishly I stood and watched, but it was obvious most of the other guys wanted to get going.

Black stork:

White-backed Vultures:

And a last Rhino:

In little more than an hour, we were back at base camp.

Grateful to get the load off and grateful for a shower, but also sad that it was over.

Return to “Travel Tales of Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve”