A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE VIDEO CLIPS OVER THE YEARS. *

steamtrainfan

Re: A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE VIDEO CLIPS OVER THE YEARS.

Post by steamtrainfan »

VIDEO No 7

Elephant walking on Mankwe Dam wall late in the evening, rhino with fish eagle in the background and major elephant roadblock causes much chaos in the car. I just could not resist leaving the audio to play while the camera is waving all over the place.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

VIDEO No 8

Leopard and cub walking into veld after crossing the road right in front of us. Spotted Eagle Owl seen in the middle of the day and out in the open, Masked Weaver having an altercation with his reflection in a memorial plaque, Fish Eagle and Waterbuck, Lilac Breasted Rollers mating and a Crimson Breasted Shrike hopping around.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

VIDEO No 9.

Young male lion crossing road, Elephant playing in water and a herd of elephant marching in single file while a fish eagle looks on.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Two leopards in one go?! :shock: WOW!
And brownie and all the other wonderful critters - including all the birdies. O:V

Would it be fair to say Pilanesberg offers most of the species that Kruger does
plus some more? And can you do the budget without having to camp? And how
many days would be good for a visit in the park? Questions, questions, questions. :o0ps:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely leopard sighting! ;-) And love the weaver! -O That ellie was really having fun in the water. ;-)

Great videos again! \O

Mel, apart from spotted hyena you'll find everything there is in Kruger....although maybe not as abundant. ;-)

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Mel wrote:Two leopards in one go?! :shock: WOW!
And brownie and all the other wonderful critters - including all the birdies. O:V

Would it be fair to say Pilanesberg offers most of the species that Kruger does
plus some more? And can you do the budget without having to camp? And how
many days would be good for a visit in the park? Questions, questions, questions. :o0ps:
Hi Mel. Thanks for staying on board and all the lovely comments.

I reckon Pilanesberg offers most of the species, except as Flutterby says, the spotted hyaena. Pilanesberg has springbuck which Kruger does not have. I cannot think of much more else different.

Unfortunately you can't do budget without camping. All their hutted accomodation comes as bed and breakfast - no choice.

They do have safari tents as self catering which are quite nice but do remember to lock the zip whenever you go out.

I feel that 5 days would be a minimum to enjoy the reserve to its full potential.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

VIDEO No 10.

Brown hyena crossing the road, a big elephant with a hole in his ear and our one and only sighting of the very elusive cheetah. At last we have proof that there are/is a cheetah in Pilanesberg.

Can anyone id the bird/s whistling in the background of the elephant scene?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Fantastic sighting of the brownie and cheetah!!!! ^Q^ ^Q^ How long ago did you see the cheetah, and where? :shock:

Tshukudu

Post by Tshukudu »

Just for you STF. The position of the old Mankwe Camp

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Hi Flutterby. It was during our visit in October 2008.

We saw him on Mankwe Way just after the Motlobo Drive between the curve to the right and the curve to the left to cross the Mankwe River. I hope this explains it.

Hi Tshukudu, Thanks very much for the map. Jislaaik but Mankwe Camp had prime spot in the reserve. Do you have any photos of this camp?

I see there were 3 other camps within the reserve - Bakgatla, Metswedi and Kololo Camps - does anyone have any details/photos on these?

Return to “Travel Tales of Pilanesberg Game Reserve”