One of Pilanesberg's Oldest Lions Dies

Information & Discussions on Planesberg
Flutterby

One of Pilanesberg's Oldest Lions Dies

Post by Flutterby »

Posted on the Pilanesberg FB Page by Heinrich Neumeyer:

17/02/2016
RIP Keitumetsi

It is with a very sad heart, and a lot of tears, that we have to share the very unfortunate news that Keitumetsi, the male lion, from Pilanesberg has passed away.

"We post this in honour of Keitumetsi. A male lion born approximately in 1999 at Madikwe Game Reserve.

He was translocated to the Pilanesberg along with another male- Labolabontle, after both their siblings had not survived, they bonded and grew to form an impressive coalition ruling the prized for and competitive center of the Pilanesberg National Park for as long as they both lived.

Labolabontle passed on a few years ago however Keitumetsi survived and lived on to approximately 17 years old.

An old age for a wild lion. His telemetry collar was found intact last night, signifying a natural passing, and we indeed feel privilidged to have been with him for what were possibly the last few of his hours. He was supposedly not seen since the morning of the 12th of January 2016, when this last photo was taken along Mankwe Way.

We are in awe of his magnificence and long may his blood line survive.

Farewell old friend and thank you for the many amazing memories."
A true king of the bush and one of the most impressive lions I have ever seen.
Rest in peace big guy.

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: One of Pilanesberg's Oldest Lions Dies

Post by Mel »

Bittersweet story! 0:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: One of Pilanesberg's Oldest Lions Dies

Post by Richprins »

Very old age! :shock:

There we go!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Pilanesberg Game Reserve”