Pilanesberg - Accommodation

Post by Mel »

gijs wrote:Hi
any cheap accommodations in/near Pilanesberg
can only find timeshare and expensive lodges

Sprocky

Re: Pilanesberg - Accommodation

Post by Sprocky »

I haven't been near Pilanesburg in over 12 years. I think the two best people to ask will be Tshukudu or Joekin, they have been there recently.

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

There are the 2 camps Mankwe and i forget the other on. They both have chalets as well as camp sites. Haven't been there for quite a few years myself so don't know how good they are these days.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Bosbok wrote:There are two camps, Manyane and Bakgatla. They both have campsites and safari tents. Only Manyane has chalets but they are timeshare and very expensive.

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Most expensive -
Ivory Tree Lodge, Shepard's Tree Lodge

Next most expensive -
Bakubung, Kwa-Maritane

Offering cheaper accom:
Bakgatla, Manyane (both offer camping)

thats how I remember it

Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Pangolin

Post by Pangolin »

When I camp, I always camp at Manyane- R300 in the high season, but only about R100 in the low season (as of a year ago). The chalets there are expensive. I think we paid more than R3000 for two nights. Not cool.

Whenever I go with friends who don't camp, we go to this little-known bush camp at the airport near Kwa Maritane gate. It used to be really cheap for a rondavel, but after world cup the prices more than doubled. Still much cheaper than anything else nearby and it has a very fun and rustic atmosphere :)

JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

well you are looking at over R 2k for a chalet per night in season, and R 130 for a campsight outta season, but sitting at a chalet in Bakgatla i had my best ever sighting of a white tailed mongoose(1 on a private night drive in kruger) it was a family and we saw them about 8 times in 3 night, running no more then a meter away from us

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/jeroenkel/library/
http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/jeroenkel/library/South%20AFrica%202015-02

some of my Kruger and Pilanesberg Pics
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Manyane and Bakgatla to Undergo Refurb

In response to a spate of complaints in recent weeks, Pilanesberg National Park’s Bakgatla and Manyane resorts are set to undergo an extensive refurbishment programme.

Tripadvisor and a number of other forums had seen visitors complaining about a number of facilities at both resorts, with a common consensus that the chalets in particular were “overpriced and run-down”, as one commenter put it.

It bears mentioning, however, that feedback on the staff and service at both resorts has remained largely positive, so it seems the issues are primarily structural ones.

The new refurbishment project begins on the 9th of August 2014 and is due for completion some time in November 2014.

The project will see the camping and caravan areas at both resorts rehabilitated, which includes grassing, general gardening and demarcation of sites. Renovations will also be made to all ablution blocks and all electrical points will be upgraded.

All the chalets at both resorts will also receive thorough upgrades, with additional attention being paid to the accompanying braai and garden areas.

In addition, as part of an ongoing security upgrade, mast lighting and surveillance cameras will be installed along the perimeter fence.

Golden Leopard Resorts first submitted requests for this much needed refurbishment programme to the Department of Tourism and National Treasury back in March 2013.

Funds for the project were made available at the beginning of this year, and since this time Golden Leopard Resorts, who manage Manyane and Bakgatla, have been in consultations with Project Managers ensuring that all compliance issues are addressed and adherence to all the complexities of the tendering processes and awarding of the tenders was done fairly and are beyond reproach. They have certainly not been resting on their laurels.

Thankfully, this lengthy process has paid off and Manyane and Bakgatla should be back to their best soon, ready to help ensure that any Pilanesberg trip is a great one all round.

brucebru

Post by brucebru »

Has anyone stayed in the Kingdom Resort and, if so, what was your experience?

I have also noticed quite a few places on AirBnB in Mogwase which are less than half the price of the cost of staying in Manyane or Bakgatla. Has anyone stayed in any of these before, or have any more info on the area?

Any other self-catering places near Pilanesberg which you can recommend (non-camping)?

I just can't see how Manyane can justify charging R1,200 for a 2 bed safari tent with no kitchen or ablutions 0*\ :evil:

Return to “Pilanesberg Game Reserve”