Maphelane

Information & Discussions on iSimangaliso
Flutterby

Maphelane

Post by Flutterby »

Maphelana is the southernmost camp in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park (formally the Greater St Lucia Wetland Park). A popular destination for ski boaters and surf anglers, it lies on the south bank of the Mfolozi River, at the point where it enters the Indian Ocean. The rocky intertidal areas offer excellent musselling and crayfishing.

The roads, which can be rough at times, can also be used for taking walks and enjoying the natural forest habitats under the canopy of enormous trees. More than 200 bird species have been recorded here.

Only suitable for 4X4 vehicles.

The bay provides a sheltered launch site for deep sea fishing boats. Shore fishing and spear fishing are also popular. People harvest shellfish under permit on the rocks. The bay is wonderful for swimming, although, please note that there are no shark nets.
Swimming or wading in the Mfolozi river is not permitted, due to the presence of crocodiles.

Cape Vidal, Sodwana Bay, uMkhuze, Kosi Bay, False Bay and Maphelane are part of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, a World Heritage Site managed by an independent body known as iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority.

Gate Opening and Closing Times: Summer ( October to March ) 06h00 to 19h00
Winter (April to September ) 06h00 to 18h00

Office Hours: The office is open from 08h00 to 12h30 and from 14h00 to 16h30

Check Out Time: 10h00 Check In Time: 14h00

Shop: The shop has a limited range of curios and supplies.

Special Precautions: Maphelane is in a malaria area and special precautions are necessary.

The nearest town which has a full range of services is Kwambonambi which is 50 kms away.

The following vehicle restrictions apply on the road: 4X4 vehicles recommended
Vehicles not exceeding 1.5 tonnes
Boats not exceeding 5,79 metres
Caravans of a single axle class only and only if towed by a four wheeled drive vehicle.

Pets are not permitted into the reserve.

Facilities for people with disabilities: None at the present time.

How To Get There:
Maphelane is 50 km off the Empangeni-Mtubatuba road, opposite the Kwambonambi turn off.

The road is narrow, very sandy in places and not recommended for cars with limited road clearance.
Due to the limitations of the new road, traffic is restricted to the following:
Vehicles not exceeding 1 ton;
Boats not exceeding 5,79 metres (19 feet);
Caravans of single axle class only and only if towed by a four-wheel-drive vehicle.

Source: http://www.kznparks.com/accommodation/m ... natal.aspx

Peter Connan

Re: Maphelane

Post by Peter Connan »

If I eventually get my booking done, I will come and report back after christmas...

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

\O

Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

I can add the following info though:

The campsite has 40 stands, all without power. The ablutions apparently have both showers and bathtubs, for which hot water is supplied by gas geysers, and there are flushing toilets. However, there are reports that the water is not fit for consumption.

There are limited power points available at the ablutions, and deep-freeze space is also available, but either must be booked in advance.

Campers are not allowed to run generators (we will see how strictly enforced this is).

There are also a number of wooden bungalows available, some of which have been re-furbished and these cost more than others. One assumes therefore that the un-refurbished ones are in a bad state of repair...

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Thanks Peter. \O

Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Well, after having spent a week there, I can now add the following:
1) It is the perfect place for blind twitchers. I have never spent so much time staring up into trees, listening to bird calls and seeing abso-flippin-lutely diddley squat.
2) Despite above comment, there is very abundant birdlife, and you will see plenty of birds, both species associated with water and those associated with forests. There are also bushbuck and red Duiker roaming the camp.
3) The campsite and surrounding area are absolutely beautiful and idyllic, and the beaches beautiful.
4) Avoid the days around Christmas. When we arrived on the 13th, there were only about six families in the campsite, and life was great, but by the 20th, the campsite was packed with screaming babies and unruly parents.
5) The monkeys are abundant and exceptionally brave and clever. Keep your car doors and windows, your tents and all your kit closed at all times, and bring extra food. You don't have to feed them, they are quite capable of feeding themselves. From your supplies. @#$
6) During the time we were there, the water (perhaps mud is a more accurate description) from the river flowed across the beach virtually all the time.
7) The water is indeed undrinkeable. Very muddy as it is pumped from the river. In an emergency though, there are tanks in which the rainwater from the roofs of the ablution blocks is caught, and this may be drinkable.
8) My family report that the sea is pleasantly warm. I cannot attest to this personally, as I have a long-standing agreement with the sharks. I don't swim in the sea, they don't walk in the bush...
9) The "rules" about vehicle access are not enforced. I saw several ordinary sedans (poor cars, the road really is fairly rough) and several large tractors (for lauching boats) there.
10) The forest hiking trails are not maintained. You may want to take a GPS or at least a compass and a good sense of direction along if you feel the urge to walk it.
11) if you are serious about bird photography, take the fastest lens you can find. The 400mm f2.8's were designed for this place.

Do you guys want the photos here, or in a specific TR?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Thanks, Peter!

This is the kind of blunt advice one needs! :twisted:

I would say a Travel Tale! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Toko

Post by Toko »

\O \O

Little wildlife and fun report would be O:V or some bird [O]

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

It is the perfect place for blind twitchers. I have never spent so much time staring up into trees, listening to bird calls and seeing abso-flippin-lutely diddley squat.

Be careful...some rabid birders read the forums..they are worse than the photographic types... =O:

Except for Dewi! 0:

(What is a "blind twitcher"? O-/ )

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Toko

Post by Toko »

As far as I know a birder and a twitcher is not the same, RP, ask Dewi lol

Return to “iSimangaliso Wetland Park”