Best Sighting Strategy

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
BravoEen

Best Sighting Strategy

Post by BravoEen »

Hi,

As you all know, Harrys and myself are going to the Kruger for a couple of days in October.

Because it's only a short trip, I'd like to maximize on sightings, which leads me to ask what is your strategy for game viewing?

I know it's mostly luck and completely subjective, but I'd like to believe there is something a person could do to maximize their sightings.

For the past couple of trips, or rather every trip we've been out early, late in and drive as far as we possibly could and have had some great days and some really bad days. (Sighting wise)

"Permanence, perseverance, persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, impossibilities: It is this that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the week." - Thomas Carlyle.

"The distance between insanity and genius is only measured by success." - Bruce Feirstein.

I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me. - A guy who's name I can't remember
Flutterby

Re: Best Sighting Strategy

Post by Flutterby »

Definitely be out when the gates open, and do an afternoon drive and get back as the gates are closing...these are the best times for sightings. :yes: In October it should be dry so keep to roads that have water on them. ;-) Driving in the heat of the day (and it will be hot in October) probably won't yield much, so maybe rather park at a waterhole and wait to see what comes to you. ..0..

Besides that, just drive slowly and look carefully. \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
BravoEen

Post by BravoEen »

Thanks Flutterby and RP!

I think we'll give some of these a try! :-0

"Permanence, perseverance, persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, impossibilities: It is this that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the week." - Thomas Carlyle.

"The distance between insanity and genius is only measured by success." - Bruce Feirstein.

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Which camp (s) will you be staying at?

BravoEen

Post by BravoEen »

Dzombo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:50 am Which camp (s) will you be staying at?
In Letaba Dzombo.

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

The short stretch of the H1-6, north from the camp up to the bridge is usually worth driving along quite slowly.
The S46 towards Engelhard Dam and S44 along the river is often worth while.
And a bit further north heading towards Mopani, the S48 (Tsendze Loop I think it is), is also worth a try.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Been, if it is busy, I would suggest going to Nwanedzi waterhole. No, not the Satara one, it is on the S-131 Phala dirt road. As far as I know it was reopened during the drought. It is dead quiet traffic-wise and has shade to sit under for hours. I saw eland there once, I think, and Robert saw a cheetah if memory serves! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
BravoEen

Post by BravoEen »

Dzombo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:54 pm The short stretch of the H1-6, north from the camp up to the bridge is usually worth driving along quite slowly.
The S46 towards Engelhard Dam and S44 along the river is often worth while.
And a bit further north heading towards Mopani, the S48 (Tsendze Loop I think it is), is also worth a try.
Noted, thank you Dzombo! - I Think watering holes would be the best bet during the morning / late afternoon due to the heat... And sun sets looks glorious with a bit of water, which is always a plus.
Richprins wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:26 pm Been, if it is busy, I would suggest going to Nwanedzi waterhole. No, not the Satara one, it is on the S-131 Phala dirt road. As far as I know it was reopened during the drought. It is dead quiet traffic-wise and has shade to sit under for hours. I saw eland there once, I think, and Robert saw a cheetah if memory serves! :-0
Thanks RP. We'll have a look, see what happens.

During the day I prefer driving on dirt roads (The bumpedy bumps keeps me awake if there are no sightings), when heading back to camp I like driving on the Tarmac roads. - We've had loads of great sightings just before gate-closing time on the tarmac roads.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ok, but animals tend to drink in greater concentrations from about 09h00 to 15h00, depending on the area, in my experience! :-0

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”