Vehicle choice - Kruger

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Vehicle choice - Kruger

Post by Lisbeth »

Sounds relaxing and almost romantic O:V

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

MMMMnnh Oom Okie,. you have a healthy mind,....
;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Heh,.. H.e
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Lisbeth wrote:If Okie flies, he will have to rent a car O**
Yes, I realise that

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

okie wrote:The drive is part of the holiday .There is no aeroplane ride that can compare with travelling at your own speed over the wide expanse of the Karoo . Stopping for a cup of coffee and listening to a silence that stretches to 360 degree horizons that fade a 100 kilometres into the distance . To smell rain when it is still 50 kilometres away , see lightning flashing from towering cumulonimbus clouds.
I drive because I have to, but don't really enjoy it.

Okie, it sounds like you enjoy driving. O:V

okie

Post by okie »

Ohh no no no :X:
You are missing the point ;-)
I drive because I enjoy the scenery , tranquillity etc , and flying does not give that to me ...

Just to give you an idea if I were to fly to Jhb and then rent :
Firstly , it takes one hour to drive from Worcester to Cape Town ( traffic permitting ) .
At the airport , I have to rent parking for the whole duration of my holiday ( that brings risk of vehicle being stolen , damaged , etc )
I then have to walk from car-park to check-in terminal , say 500 meters ( I am getting somewhat old in the tooth ) , dragging luggage etc ...
I should check in at least 1 hour prior to departure .... which means at least 3 hours since getting out of bed .
Think of frustration in traffic O/
Then , sitting cramped up in a small seat breathing recycled air from 250 other people -- for at least 2 hours .
Oh , BTW , the air in the aircraft is only recycled after it gets the air . While waiting before departure , you breathe in old , stale air from 250 people , and recycling stops while the aircraft taxies to its parkingslot -- Ladies and gentlemen , please do enjoy our experienced , well-used air , directly from your fellow passengers O/
At JHB , the aircraft parks about 5 kilometers from the terminal , and then have to wait up to 30 minutes before being allotted a parking-slot .
Now , you walk another 500 meters inside the air-terminal to get your luggage--- add at least 30 minutes .
Then walk another bl..y 500 meters to get your bl..dy hired car ( which is not what you really would have wanted to drive because that is all that they have available )
NOW , you have to get OUT of this stupid airport , INTO the @#$ @#$ @#$ Jhb traffic , get onto the N10 , one of the busiest highways in South Africa , with drivers who would take you off the road at a blink of an eye , under fly-overs where people chuck rocks on cars ......
Need I say more ?

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

=O: okie!

;-) \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Soooo right \O But you can avoid JHB ;-)

I do not like flying either:

You cannot open the window
You cannot stop when you want to
You have to support someone almost sitting on top of you and always steeling the armrest
Squealing children
Uneatable food
Hot brownish water called coffee
Etc.
Etc.
Not to talk about the toilets 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
okie

Post by okie »

Hi Lisbeth 0/* Avoiding Jhb means :
Flying SA Airlink , via 1 ) CT to Upington , then wait a couple of days for another flight to take you to Phalaborwa -- rent-a-car.
2 ) CT to Suncity , then step over and fly to JHB where you step over to fly to Skukuza or Mbombela rent-a-car.
3 ) CT to Kimberly , step over in Jhb and then Mbombela , or Polokwane rent-a-car.
4 ) CT to JHB , step over to Lourenco Maputo - and parachute when you go over Komatipoort O-/

Enough is enough
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Or you can fly from CPT to Nelspruit and rent a car there ;-)

okie

Post by okie »

Not sure how long they will keep those flights --- SA Airways is bankrupt and due to cancel many inland flights in the next few months

Enough is enough

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”