Vehicle choice - Kruger

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
H. erectus

Re: Vehicle choice - Kruger

Post by H. erectus »

Dzombs, do self a great favor and simply hire a Jimny, Suzuki!!

Heh,.. H.e
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I read a few days ago, that the petrol price was going down :-? Here it goes up and down like a yo-yo lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

H. erectus wrote:Dzombs, do self a great favor and simply hire a Jimny, Suzuki!!
It's not on the Avis list
Am going with the Rav 4 \O

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Richprins wrote:Over half our petrol price is used to sponsor government theft, Dzombs...they even sold our strategic oil reserve, or tried to! lol
Not unique to SA.....
Apparently 61% of our fuel cost is duty, with another 20% is VAT. That's over 80% of our fuel cost is tax!

I saw in the newspaper that there were issues re the fuel reserve.
According to the report, the court blocked it?

okie

Post by okie »

Hmmm... Don't let anyone scare you off with fuel prices Dzombo . The fuel is just the extra to pay on the entire trip :O^
You will probably not travel more than 2000 km during your trip , and the RAV , being quite light on consumption , will probably cost you no more than R2000 --- GBP120 0*\

Add your airtravel costs plus distance and then see how much it costs you per kilometre over the entire trip ;-)

In other words , compare it to a great meal at a top restaurant -- and think of the fuel as the tip you give to the waiter :-)

Enough is enough
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

okie wrote:Hmmm... Don't let anyone scare you off with fuel prices Dzombo . The fuel is just the extra to pay on the entire trip :O^
You will probably not travel more than 2000 km during your trip , and the RAV , being quite light on consumption , will probably cost you no more than R2000 --- GBP120 0*\

Add your airtravel costs plus distance and then see how much it costs you per kilometre over the entire trip ;-)

In other words , compare it to a great meal at a top restaurant -- and think of the fuel as the tip you give to the waiter :-)
okie, that's the way I see it
I have a budget for the entire trip. And the fuel will only be a small part of that.

My main cost is the airfare
2 x direct on Virgin Atlantic.
I could save £100/ ticket or so if I fly via. But that would also add considerably to my travel time. And it would cost me at least a day, if not more of my trip. 0-

okie

Post by okie »

Exactly \O
Now , driving the Landy up and down , fuel costs us about R8000 per trip , twice per year ;-)

Enjoy O/\

Enough is enough
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

okie wrote:Exactly \O
Now , driving the Landy up and down , fuel costs us about R8000 per trip , twice per year ;-)
Is it not worth your while to fly?
It is expensive though. I checked on SAA. The return faire is £420 (R7,140) for the two of us.
Was wondering if a local rate would be less?

But figured time wise, getting to airport, checking in etc, I wouldn't be saving that much time?

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

If Okie flies, he will have to rent a car O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
okie

Post by okie »

The drive is part of the holiday .There is no aeroplane ride that can compare with travelling at your own speed over the wide expanse of the Karoo . Stopping for a cup of coffee and listening to a silence that stretches to 360 degree horizons that fade a 100 kilometres into the distance . To smell rain when it is still 50 kilometres away , see lightning flashing from towering cumulonimbus clouds.

Enough is enough

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”