Domestic Animals in Kruger

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Toko

Kruger National Park tourists shocked by dog shooting

Post by Toko »

KNP tourists shocked by dog shooting

Tourists to KNP horrified by rangers actions in dealing with a dog outside the Pretoriuskop camp.

16 May 2013 | Susanna Oosthuizen and Clara Lourens

SKUKUZA - When Mr Deon Hitchcock and his wife, Joan, visited the Kruger National Park (KNP) in April this year, they did not expect to witness an incident they described as "horrifying". On the morning of April 30, having just left Pretoriuskop, they observed a SANParks employee shooting a dog, taking three shots to finally kill it.

The couple's daughter, Ms June Hitchcock, relayed what her parents had told her afterwards, "They spotted a fox terrier next to road just outside the camp. Shortly after spotting the animal, they were passed by a bakkie. The occupants attempted to get the dog into the vehicle, but failing to do so, one man got on the back of it with a gun. What happened next is a sight that the Hitcocks will never forget, they said.

"The man on the back proceeded to shoot the dog in the leg. It fell down howling and and he shot it a second time. My parents got scared and drove on. As they drove off they heard a third shot being fired," according to June.

Traumatised by what they had witnessed, they alerted their daughter, who requested the NSPCA to look into the matter. According to her, she was outraged at this and couldn't help but think there was a more humane way of handling this.

Dr Freek Venter, the general manager of conservation management in the KNP responded that the dog was thought to be rabid and that, in cases like these, the rangers had to kill the animal before it disappeared into the bush. He stated that rabid feral cats and dogs could infect wild animals. "We do apologise for the fact that somebody must have been traumatised by the shooting," he said. Venter also stated that it was hasty and this resulted in the animal being wounded first.

He also confirmed that tranquilisers were not an option when a qualified veterinarian was not at the scene.

The animal's brain was sent for testing at Onderstepoort and according to test results which Lowvelder had seen, it tested positive for rabies. This is the second case reported in one month where a rabid dog had to be put down by rangers inside the park. The other occurred near Skukuza.

"According to my parents, the dog looked like a well cared for pet," said June but concedes that it was the task of the relevant authorities to make a call on matters like these. She added, "I just ask that the rangers not shoot animals in front of visitors and that if it must be done, that it be done by a person that can shoot."

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: KNP tourists shocked by dog shooting

Post by Richprins »

Ja...they have to shoot them ASAP! All sorts of diseases relating to jackal and Wild Dog, unfortunately! :-(

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

oups, maybe a lot of them are infested :shock:
I hope not 0:

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Are there are lot of feral cats and dogs in Kruger? :-?

Richprins
Committee Member

Domestic Animals in Kruger

Post by Richprins »

This from Latest Sightings, seen yesterday afternoon...
Last edited by Richprins on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Re: Domestic Dog near Letaba

Post by Bushcraft »

Staff village or poachers :-? -O-

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I saw this too. Apparently the leopard bit the dog but when it started barking the leopard backed off. It was reported to rangers who said they would spend last night looking for it and would have to put it down as it could have rabies. According to what I read the rangers said it must belong to a poacher.

Scipio

Post by Scipio »

The problem here is that this dog can infect and wipe out the Wild dog population, and cause lotsa other problems. The poaching may not only drive Rhino to extinction. :evil:

nothing changed, i have not grown up yet.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Hope they'll manage to find that dog...

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Rhino poachers don't use dogs, and Letaba is far away from any settlements. :-?

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”