The Use of Laser Pointers in Kruger

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Flutterby

The Use of Laser Pointers in Kruger

Post by Flutterby »

This was posted on SANParks' FB page today following an incident involving an Echo Africa Safari guide allegedly shining a laser pointer at a lion's face:

Dear All;
Below is the statement from Echo Africa Safaris & Transfers regarding the incident involving the use of a laser pointer at a Lion sighting on Thursday 22 January 2015.

Our guide was conducting a Morning Game Drive with one of our groups. During the drive, they came across a sighting where a male lion was sleeping approx. 3 metres from the road, facing into the veldt away from the road. The guide used the laser pointer only to point out the features of the paw on the animal and at no point whatsoever, used it on the face of the lion. It was not possible as the lion was facing away from the road. We have a written statement from one of the guests who was present on his vehicle confirming this as well as a statement from one of our other vehicle guides also present at the sighting. As per the facebook page, the lady confronted the guide and continued to report him to the section ranger of Malelane.
Our guide immediately reported the incident to us when he returned from the Game Drive and shortly thereafter our Malelane office manager called to inform us that Sanparks officials were looking for one of our vehicles, namely the one that the guide in question was driving. Our Operations Manager, Leonie Oosthuizen called Mr. Albert Smith (Malelane Section Ranger) and he confirmed that it was in connection with the above incident. He continued to say that he received a complaint that the driver of the said vehicle had used a laser pointer on the Lion’s face. The complaint was obviously well motivated but there is a discrepancy with regards to the laser being used on the Lion’s face. Mr. Albert Smith gave us a stern warning that the use of lasers in KNP is not permitted, irrespective of how it is being used.
We respect the rules and regulations of Sanparks and would never purposefully break any rules. If the use of lasers is prohibited, we will make sure our guides are informed about it and not use it in any way.
Kind regards
Johan Rothman
General Manager – Echo Africa Safaris & Transfers

Bushcraft

Re: The Use of Laser Pointers in Krugers

Post by Bushcraft »

I respect the statement, but it's Echo Africa again and again 0: Where there's smoke there must be fire -O-

PJL

Post by PJL »

I can understand why laser pointers shouldn't be used as you don't want to disturb the animals in any way, but interestingly I can't find them mentioned specifically in any of the sanparks policies or park rules -O-

Toko

Post by Toko »

Is it written somewhere in the rules? -O- Not on my permit from 2014 0:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I don't think it is in the rules. -O-

PJL

Post by PJL »

Mr. Albert Smith gave us a stern warning that the use of lasers in KNP is not permitted, irrespective of how it is being used.
If they don't put it in the rules somewhere how is anyone to know -O-
Apart from common sense of course 0'

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Common sense it should be! Just because it isn't in the rules doesn't mean a laser pointer is a good gadget on game drives. 0-

And who knows... given the chance, the guide might "show the features of an eye" at some other point. 0'

Glad that they are not allowed. Now for spreading the word, SP.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Laser pointers are, or at least were allowed on game drives, but NOT for pointing out animals. I used to use one to point out stars to guests.

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Mel wrote:And who knows... given the chance, the guide might "show the features of an eye" at some other point. 0'
Mel, the person who lodged the complaint was quite insistent that the guide was using the laser on the lion's face, but they have denied it....a case of he said, she said! -O-

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Sprocky wrote: I used to use one to point out stars to guests.
Quite a powerful laser! :shock: lol

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”