Bicycles in Kruger

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Bicycles in our Parks

Post by Richprins »

The little buggers normally disappear after dark, and there is abundant noise to mask their activities during daytime? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Years ago camping at Shingwedzi (I go north to get away from bikes and stuff) a kid next to us had his noisy push bike with plastic wheels that makes a helluva racket and from sunrise to 21h00 he roared around camp. On day 1 after we set up I went to the father and introduced myself and suggested maybe he takes his son for a swim then a leisurely game drive ...but then this Grootpens in shorts and nothing else and Mullet haircut cradling braai thongs said 'Not n V%^^%k'...okay we have Mr and Mrs Neanderthal next to us who had obviously lost their booking for Warmbaths and ended up here...." The next day He didnt go out again and just braaied and tossed a empty bottle of Klippies in the dustbin at 11h30 while the little oke continued to hassle my peace and quiet charging at the hornbills etc on the ground on his bike and wouldnt stop when I asked him to on numerous occassions...We had another 10 days to go and they hada week. I spoke to a grounds supervisor and got a glazed look ..but then realised my Mate Bruce Bryden was the Section Ranger at Shingwedzi with his office at the back of reception...I waited for my opportunity..Didnt have to wait long ..Daddy to little monster off crying his eyes out to have a shower at Midday. I pounced and took the bike to Bruce who told me to tell the father to come and see him to 'chat about the return of the bike' Father and son came back eventually and I told him the bike was taken (Not by me) to the office of the Veldwagter and that he must go and get it back from him..He got in his car and almost wheelied off to the office..He came back 40 mins later very subdued ...Bruce wasa big man en hy vatikaknie..He told him to collect the bike 'As he was leaving Shingwedzi ina weeks time..problem sorted done and dusted..I mean my kids couldnt bring their bikes to Kruger..so why should they watch this little guy their own age then being 'allowed' to drive push plastic bikes all over our guy ropes etc etc..gee I laughed that night...there camp was quiet quiet

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I agree the plastic toy bikes are over the top! They make an incredible noise! \O

But what's wrong with a tummy and a bottle of klippies? =O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Maybe he couldn't see his child over the big tummy? -O

Bushcraft

Re: Bicycles in Kruger

Post by Bushcraft »

Dear All;

• The policy is that no skateboards, roller skates and bicycles are allowed in the rest camps in the park. However with time, some of the camps loosened this rule in order to accommodate children by allowing some cycling on designated areas. It was agreed that camp management would be responsible to closely monitor the situation.
• Although notices are placed to make people aware of children playing around with bicycles, we have sometimes experienced problems especially on busy periods such as school holidays with e.g. parents who either decided to cycle or did not attend to/control their children. Most guests would also not drive slowly inside the camp as they would be aware of the no cycling policy.

Please note the matter is under discussion in order to review the current status.

Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopi ... &start=420

Loosened the rule O** or lack of management in enforcing the rule O**

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I can't say that I find this development surprising. 0*\ But it's still totally off. :O^
Time for some zoos to offer camping... Would be more apt. 0'

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, never heard of "loosening" a rule? :-?

But the more exercise for them the better! \O

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”