Kruger Park Sightings IPHONE IPAD APP

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Dzombo

Re: Kruger Park Sightings IPHONE IPAD APP

Post by Dzombo »

Richprins wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:30 am Ja, odie is an old AW member, you know, and he followed his dream and did a clever thing. There are always two sides to a story. Flutts and Dzombs make good points. Cellphone reception is actually not all that extensive in Kruger, so the vast majority of the area is unaffected, and there will be many hours delay as some only post their sightings once possible.

Latestsightings helped us to see the baby jackals at Satara yesterday, because we found the adults and I vaguely remembered a sighting mention of the pups from last week, so we looked more carefully! ^0^
Jackal Pups. A few hundred meters north of Satara there is a pile of rocks on the right hand side.
Den is there.
We saw them a few times.

Re the latest sightings app.
Lets take the lion sighting which I was at (3 males in the road).
They were on the H4-1 just before the H12 junction (Skukuza direction). Tbh, I have no idea if there was any cell reception, so don't know if the sighting could have been posted on the app in "real time".
We got to the sighting at probably 7am. What time was the posting made?
I think the OSv's with their 2 way radios are a bigger problem then a few people using their phones?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I don't think there is much signal there, Dzombs? But certainly a few km either way. That is why "tings" generally saywhether the animal is stationary or moving, or if there is a kill, so you can be realistic when planning. \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Dzombo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:40 am I think the OSv's with their 2 way radios are a bigger problem then a few people using their phones?
Definitely! :yes: \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

And many of them are very arrogant and think that they have precedence :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

My sightings are never posted on the boards ..but then Tsendze doesnt have a pin board ..and are only reported a week or so after I get home after I download and process a few pics..I am pretty carefree about 99.9% of things in life but hectically OCD if thats the right word when I find something good in Kruger and its off the beaten track so to speak ..I have worked hard to get there paid the Countries Fuel Bill , done my research , can only get to Kruger at the most once a year ..Every day is planned before arrival in the Park after talking to Section Rangers in the area I am going to ...I just want to be alone to position myself properly and ethically to practice and do my lifelong hobby ..So I never told anyone during our stay apart from Jane ..The first 2 hours of each day are my time where I want to be alone and seek out that solitude ..For the rest of the day I am all yours the eternal sociable party animal ..but no compromises for me time 05h00 to 08h00 in Kruger and Kgalagadi ..its what I live for and the years are getting less :-) :-) :-)
Last edited by Peter Betts on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The sightings boards are mostly not very precise anyway.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

We don't trust those at all...especially when you see kids playing with the magnets! O** lol

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Flutterby wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:06 am We don't trust those at all...especially when you see kids playing with the magnets! O** lol
LOL yes I abused them too when I was very young and came into the Park for the odd day from the Farm in Sabi Sands and had seen say Lions and a leopard in the Sands before entering Kruger at the Airport farm gate ..I loved putting magnets ..Pins in the old days in possies OUTSIDE the Park ..why because thats where the sightings were ..The looks I got ..but I saw them :-0 :-0

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

lol

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Naughty boy! lol

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”