Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Kesheshe

Re: Night Drive Advice

Post by Kesheshe »

I hate them.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Ja, we spend most of the day in the car, so at night I just like to relax. The last thing I want to do is sit with a whole bunch of strangers and getting worked up over the people bouncing the torches all over the place! =O:

harrys

Post by harrys »

I'm with you Flutts, I think night drives are a bit overrated -O- , I've done 2 in all my visits to KNP and not much to see :-( , it's much nicer to stay in camp and sit around the fire and talk some real nonsens O** ....or just sit and relax \O

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

\O \O

Toko

Post by Toko »

Send the Brat on the night drive and stay in camp watching AWC, genet, HB etc, Flutty :-0

Bush Brat

Post by Bush Brat »

Thanks guys, even though you are being influenced by my mom! =O:
I think we are going to go from Shingwedzi (and yes mom, I say we because we are BOTH going!)

RP - thanks for all the handy tips \O ...though don't know how the alcohol one refers to me...I mean I never get affected when I have a couple dops! =O: O:V

Dewi - It seems Caracal favour the north. Though I have heard of sightings near Skuks and LS...guess it is just the luck of the draw! 0()

nan - We would really like to go from Lower Sabie but we aren't staying there on this trip. :-(

Anyway, lets hope the night drive will produce, maybe then mom will actually want to go on one! 0= :-0 O**

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Go by yourself! You're a big boy now? -O-

Leave mom to relax. Problem solved! :-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

This sums it up for me, but I can't post my opinion there as I have told the truth too many times O**

What do you guys feel about this -O-

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopi ... 33&t=82409

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Doesn't seem too bad? :-?

Sharing spotlights is part of the fun..remember some may be having their first adventure like this?

Haven't been on a night drive in a decade, but seems ok...

Regarding racing..how can one predetermine when you will see cats? It is actually quite rare, and a good guide will tell all sorts of stories regarding whatever species is spotted!

At a certain point one wants to get back to camp, end of story, and it is difficult to cater for everyone/determine time/distance left etc.

A good idea to take torches along, no problem...just be careful not to shine the spotlights/torches inside the vehicle, if possible...very blinding.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

One isn’t actually permitted to take their own torches on a drive O**

Check out PJL’s TT for what a sunset drive should be about IMO and if one is in the Skukuza/Lower Sabie area or the Satara area one has to be rather slow or very unlucky to not find cats in the winter months (Maybe SANParks guides should join “latest sightings” =O: =O: 0: )

A sunset drive is booked by those who want to find what they can’t find themselves during the day, which is generally the nocturnal animals and the cats which some battle with even in the day :-?

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”