Bush Traditions

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Flutterby

Re: Bush Traditions

Post by Flutterby »

Mel...thought the same thing!! =O: =O:

My dad use to be one those who took his shirt off in the park =O: =O: ...many moons ago!! And he also used to wear a denim blue stetson hat!! 0*\

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I just remembered another tradition we had when we used to go with friends of my parents. We had a spotter's hat which you wore if you spotted one of the Big 5...at some point my mom started writing our cat sightings on the hat....what it was, where, how many and the date...she then embroidered all the writing...corny but quite special...I have no idea what happened to it! :-?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja...when driving with leachy you have to ask very nicely to sit in the passenger seat! O-/

One tradition our group always follows on our annual Northern trip is to have a G&T or two at Mopane camp on the lower deck while proceeding up...no lack of relaxation after that! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

An interesting "tradition":

Stefan de Villiers
4 hours ago

MBOMBELA – If you think that you’re a Krugerholic, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Liam Mackail’s (22) tattoos are for passion, not for fashion. A passion so strong that he decided to puncture indelible pictures of the park into the skin of his arm.

Born in Mbombela and later relocated to Scotland, Mackail could not wait to be old enough to put his passion for the park onto his arm.

“My mother and her family have been going to the Kruger National Park (KNP) since she was six years old. They love the Kruger and started taking me and my brother and sister to the park from a very young age. We come over to visit my mom’s family every year and try to go to the park when we can,” said Mackail.

So as a “Kruger addict”, he decided to put his passion onto his arm. He started off with a tattoo of a lion, based on a photo that was taken by a family friend. Next he asked his uncle for one of his leopard photos. Then, came an elephant and a buffalo – photos taken by his mother. “The rhino was one of my dad’s photos.”

“I still had a lot of arm space so decided then that I would add a picture of the full moon that my mom took at Pretoriuskop last year. I also took a picture of the hut that we stayed in and decided that would be pretty cool as well. It turned out that we ended up in the same huts this year,” he said.

For the past two years he has been bringing friends over and this year his girlfriend, Laura Archibald came along. “It’s her first visit to South Africa and the KNP. We made a joke that we would do a trip of my arm and try and spot everything on it. We were surprised when we ended up in the same hut. We also went to Skukuza to show Laura the Selati bridge, which I also added to my arm this year,” he said.

They ended up sighting everything on his arm apart from the baobab. “I also have an acacia tree,” he said. “I know some people don’t agree with my tattoos, but it’s a personal thing and I love them. They are special to me because I love Africa and especially the Kruger. Also, all the photos were taken by me, my family and our friend,” he said.

https://lowvelder.co.za/443649/kruger-tattoos/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

You have to be really passionate about the bush (and a little crazy) to mark yourself in that way! lol --00-- I would never have a tattoo but I can appreciate them on others (SO and the Brat both have tattoos). \O

okie

Post by okie »

Aach I think my body is quite beautiful enough without needing any tattoos to make it prettier .....
IMG_6638_1.JPG

Enough is enough
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

:shock: lol

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Now what Kruger-related pic is that, okie? :O^

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Richprins wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:09 pm Now what Kruger-related pic is that, okie? :O^
The Braai Dress Code at Lower Sabie

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

leachy wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:25 pm :-) :-) :-) :-)

having entered through the gate i open all the widows as aircon is not permitted.

switch off the phone.

stop at the first big tree and assemble my cameras and lenses and put them on the passenger seat.

hang my bird book and binos over the passenger seat head rest.

take out my scatalogue and tree book and put them between the seats

take out the cashews and put them in one of the cup holders.

take out the billies and the leatherman and put that all in the other cup holder..

take my leg off and put it on the back seat.

take a deep breath of kruger air and

off i go !!!!!!
..A man after my own heart and the wife on the back seat

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”