The Kruger National Park Ranger Sections

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Peter Betts

Re: The Kruger National Park Ranger Sections

Post by Peter Betts »

The Mooiplaas Rangers Section is a big favorite of ours and has many iconic places we love including our favorite Kruger Camp Tsendze, Shipandane Hide, Shawu Vlei, Grootvlei dam (on the boundary with Shingwedzi Section) , the vast plains around Thongenyeni Windmill, the biggest tuskers in Kruger , 3 x over 1000 head buffalo herds, rare antelope such as Roan, Tssessebe, and Eland and Bowkers Kop near mopani camp which is the Rangers station for Mooiplaas and is 100% the house with the BEST view in the whole Lowveld..I have enjoyed many a braai there and could swear you can almost see the Moz coastline let alone the Lebombo Mts. Magadzi Picnic spot is right up there as one of our favorite picnic spots . The Shongololo road forms the Western Boundary with adjacent Mahlangeni Section and the sad Giyryondo Border gate into Moz is also there RIP. The pic is of a very inquisitive few day old baby Zebra at sunrise at Thongenyeni Windmill
Zebra Foal KNP.jpg

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:-0 Peter!

Always wondered what the view was like at the Mooiplaas ranger post!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Richprins wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:58 am :-0 Peter!

Always wondered what the view was like at the Mooiplaas ranger post!
Johann & Joslyn Oelofse were very kind to Jane & I when we often stayed at Tsendze during their tenure as Ranger couple at Bowkers Kop.. Roger at Tsendze would arrive at our campsite and tell us that the Ranger says we must report at his 'Office Today' :-0 .. We then would drive up the hill to their house...and hear the wonderful stories since our last visit which usually ended with a big bag of fresh tomatoes out their veggie garden to take back to camp ..miss those days

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Cute baby Zeb!

Must have been very nice to have a personal relationship with the people working in the Park \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

The Mahlangeni Section on the Western Boundary north of Phalaborwa is basically unknown to me apart from a few stays at Shimuwini in the far SE of the Section. Its a dry part of Kruger and the Rangers House is basically on an island at the Confluence of the Great Letaba and the Klein Letaba rivers. It is mainly Schrub Mopani but along watercourse it is truly beautiful with lovely Koppies and large ancient Leadwood trees. This pic is of a typical Mahlangeni Section landscape of a Leadwood tree on a Koppie close to the Letaba River on the Approach road to Shimuwini
Leadwood Koppie.jpg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

\O \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Alf

Post by Alf »

Would love to see this rangers house that’s on an island

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Alf wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:04 pm Would love to see this rangers house that’s on an island
Alf you can see a picture of the house and map of the Rangers Compound in the Book 'Mahlangeni' written by the Rangers wife Kobie Kruger who were in residence for a few years there before being transferred to Croc Bridge section

Alf

Post by Alf »

Will see if i can find this book \O

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:yes:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.co.za/bo ... 0140242935

There are another couple of books too!

My parents actually visited there around 1971 too, Peter...my first Kruger trip! :twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”