Braaiing and Recipes

Information & Discussions on Camping
BunnyHugger

Braaiing and Recipes

Post by BunnyHugger »

Let's trade some winning recipes that are quick to prepare and tasty to eat. Ideal for trips to the wilderness.

This is one of my favourites when I go camping;

Ingredients:

Baby cabbages (for as many guests / family members as you have. Adults will eat a whole one.)
Aromat (Fondor)
Garlic
Margerine or butter.
Tin (Aluminium foil (Heavy duty)

Method:

Melt one tablespoon of margarine per cabbage and add garlic.
Place baby cabbage on it's stalk and cut almost all the way through. Cut twice so you have a + (be careful not to cut all the way through. If you did, you would have 1/4's.)
"Page" through the cabbage and spoon in some garlic butter adding a generous amount of Aromat among the leaves.
Wrap up in foil (shiny side inside) and place on braai coals for approximate 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve.

iNdlovu

Re: Recipes

Post by iNdlovu »

Potato Jacks

Ingredients:
Potatoes (how many depends on the number of people, 2 good sized ones per person)
Onions (Half an onion per person)
Flour
Salt Pepper
Spices (your choise, Corriander, Tyme, Sage, Barbecue Spice)
Beer
Oil

Method
Peal and wash potatoes & skin onions
Grate potatoes and onions into a bowl, mix well with a spoon
Allow to stand for 5 minutes (grated potatoe & onion should become quite moist)
Add Spices, salt & pepper
Mix in enough flour until mix is a runny paste, add beer if you want
Two table spoons of potatoe batter is fine for each Jack, place and flatten into a frying pan of hot oil 2 cm deep, fry until crispy golden brown then turn & fry the other side.
Remove and place on paper towel to drain
Enjoy

ceruleanwildfire

Post by ceruleanwildfire »

One Packet Meal

This recipe is an adaptation of one I found in a Off-Roading cookbook and works great on top of a braai or wood fire. It usually goes down a treat with everyone. Requires a bit of prep but once you start cooking it's a breeze. The ingredients are a suggestion and what I normally use but feel free to adapt it to your own taste

Ingredients:
  • Potatoes
  • Carrots
  • Baby Onions
  • Baby Corn or Can of Corn Kernels (Drained)
  • Bacon Bits
  • Garlic Gloves
  • Salt and Pepper (To season according to taste, I suggest freshly ground)
  • Herbs (According to preference, I suggest Rosemary)
  • Butter
  • Wine
  • Sugar
  • Heavy Aluminium Foil and/or Aluminium Tray
Method:
Wash potatoes and cut into pieces, approximately 2.5cm in size. You can peel the potatoes, but I prefer the skins on for the added texture when eating.
Do similar to the carrots, alternatively use whole baby carrots for style.
Peel garlic gloves.
Depending on the the amount you are cooking, lay the heavy aluminium foil down on a flat surface, shiny side up, and double up the length required to place the all ingredients down. You will be folding this over the ingredients to form a packet. The packet will swell while cooking so ensure there will be space for this to occur. For large amounts use the foil tray/pan.
Butter up the bottom of the aluminium before placing all large ingredients down.
Place all large ingredients down on the foil, including the bacon, garlic and corn. If doing a packet make sure you only place on half the foil with space to seal the sides and top.
Pour a small amount of wine over the top of the ingredients (this will be used to assist with steaming while cooking). For added effect use red wine or even beer (provided you can spare it).
Season with salt, pepper and herbs.
Sprinkle a layer of sugar over all the ingredients (not to much). This will help bind some of the liquids and give the overall meal a sweeter taste (a nice sauce).
Put some more butter, cut into cubes, among the top.
Fold the aluminum to close the packet. It is important that you seal the packet properly to keep the steam in. I suggest folding the seams over at least wtice to ensure the seal.
If using a tray, seal with an aluminium foil top, shiny side down.
Finally place on the fire/grill and leave to cook. Cooking time will vary depending on quantity, usually half an hour to an hour.
Warning the packet will be hot, so use adequate protection, and be careful when opening the packet as the steam may scald you.

"Courage, Honour, Integrity, Loyalty, Duty, Selfless Service and Respect. These are the values that define us." - E-Ring
lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Ingredients
Mushrooms - the biggest you can find
Nutmeg
Tabasco suace
Garlic butter
Grated cheese

Insructions
Make sure the fire is not too hot
Place the mushrooms on the fire and scoop a tablespoon of garlic butter on each
Wait till the butter starts to melt and then sprinkle nutmeg and tobasco to personal taste
Once the butter melted completely, sprinkle cheese over each.
Wait for cheese to melt and serve as a snack

I would feel more optimistic of a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority - EB White
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I'm getting hungry!!! :-?

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

I often have a meal in the bush of pancakes. It is surprising what you can mix up, whether it's the night before's left over pootjie, or savory mince, or whatever
The basic pancake recipe goes like this for 30 pancakes (Good for 10 people if they're hungry)
4 eggs
5 cups of water
1 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder.

Mix it
Beat eggs and add 1 cup water & oil. Mix flour, baking soda,salt with the rest of the water and slowly beat this mixture into the egg mixture...stir in baking powder. Leave this batter in the fridge for an hour while you get the fire going and have few beers.
Ladle enough batter into your trusty old cast iron greased frying pan to cover the bottom, swirling the pan while your pour. Thin pancakes are the best. Flip them and cook the other side.
Hopefully someone else has been helping by warming up the left overs or cooking the fillings in the mean time and you now have a stack of 30 pancakes. Spoon the filling onto the pancake and roll it up.

Other than the above fillings, here is a few ideas.
Biltong slices & grated cheese (my favorite)
Chicken Livers with Balsamic gravy or peri-peri
Slices of ham & melted Gruy'ere cheese
Crispy Bacon & Maple syrup
Slices of Boerewors, viennas & mustard

Keep some of the pancakes for pudding and pile some Melktert filling in the middle sprinkled with cinnamon sugar
or tinned peach slices fried in butter, sugar and brandy

There, a whole meal with pancakes

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Easy Melktert filling
1 tin condensed milk (385 g)
3 cups milk
1/4 cup corn flour
2 eggs
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoons butter

Mix the condensed milk and 2 cups of milk in a saucepan and let it heat slowly until simmering. keep the heat down or it will catch on the bottom. Mix the rest of the milk & cornflour in a separate bowl until smooth. Add the simmering mixture slowly & wisk flat out until smooth.
Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and then add them into the above mixture bit by bit, stir all the time. Add salt, vanilla essence & butter, stir until butter has melted.
MMmmmm lekkkerrrrrrr stuff

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Why would you want to forget the cheese PN, a meal without cheese isn't a meal -O-

Penga Ndlovu

Post by Penga Ndlovu »

For the life of me I cannot understand why somebody wants to eat rotten milk.

O/ O/ O/

Yuck!!!

"Longing for the bush is a luxury many have.
Living in the bush is a luxury that only a few have"
iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

The more rotten the better in this instance. I'd agree if you were talking about Yoghurt, can't take that stuff

Return to “Camping”