Community Camps

Information & Discussions on Namibia Game Parks
Expat

Community Camps

Post by Expat »

Hi there, everyone! I need to try to understand community camps. I know they were set up for the benefit (supposedly) of the local people, but who organised them and who trained the staff? The only one I have visited so far is Aba Haub, and that was a couple of years ago. (Bradt tells me this was set up by Save the Rhino Trust so does the money go to them)? Then the receptionist was asleep on her desk, there were no doors on the toilets and shower curtains were non-existent. The only staff with a little life in them were the bar staff ( O** ) and the poor little chap who stoked the donkey! According to reviews on Trip Advisor nothing has changed. It is in the most beautiful setting and it is such a shame that the facilities have been left to rot. If some guidance was given this could be a little gem. We shall be experiencing other community camps in March next year and it will be interesting to see how they compare. Does the money really go back into the community? Or is this yet another sign of corruption? 0*\

Bushveld Jock

Re: Community Camps

Post by Bushveld Jock »

That's the best community camp I've seen, but that was in 2004 and not sure how it is going after 10 years. I think they got funding from Twyfelfontein Lodge, while the other are pretty much run solely by the community.

Are you off to Namibia next year or also Botswana?

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Expat

Post by Expat »

Hello BJ,
No, only Namibia. It is all we have time (and wallets) for! :O^
My ideal would be a six month trek all over - I would love to go to Bots but we never had time when we lived in SA, just did the odd little sortie, mostly to KTP and odd bits of Nam, but now we are poms and I am retiring next month, we decided to do one final trip! Can't wait ^Q^

nan

Post by nan »

Expat wrote:Hello BJ,
No, only Namibia. It is all we have time (and wallets) for! :O^
My ideal would be a six month trek all over - I would love to go to Bots but we never had time when we lived in SA, just did the odd little sortie, mostly to KTP and odd bits of Nam, but now we are poms and I am retiring next month, we decided to do one final trip! Can't wait ^Q^
O/\ O/\ O/\ nice... super nice ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Expat

Post by Expat »

Thanks for the O/\ Nan!! For the last three trips we have been saying "This is the last one" and tears have been shed on leaving KTP. Maybe we will win the lottery (except you have to be in it to win it) and our 2016 trip will be our second to last one ^Q^ We hope to get up to the Angolan border this time, so next time we could do Bots O\/

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Be optimistic, Expat \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

same to me... until my nephew decide to come with me lol

happy planning O/\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Expat

Post by Expat »

0/* My middle name is 'optimistic', Lisbeth!! But you also have to be a bit of a O\/ and keep :-) whatever happens!

Expat

Post by Expat »

Been a bit of a hiatus on this forum 0/* Can anyone tell me how Community Camps work and are they regulated by any one (thing!) -O- Guess I may have to find out some other way, but I thought one of you fundis would have an answer for me O/ Will have to ask Google :yes:

Toko

Post by Toko »

http://www.namibian.org/travel/community/index.html

http://www.namibweb.com/community.htm

Way back this was hit and miss and literally impossible to enquire and pre-book, not sure what it is like now -O-

Return to “All you need to know about Namibia Game Parks”