Sixty, and stuck in the sand. KTP summer 2018

Michele Nel

Re: Sixty, and stuck in the sand. KTP summer 2018

Post by Michele Nel »

and agree with Lisbeth..your Sociable Weaver is in fact a Southern Grey-headed Sparrow. :)

GavinW

Post by GavinW »

We left Mbali, Miera’s young female cub hiding away in the calcrete ridge and set off in search of the leopards which we had been told of just past Batulama

It took us just over 15 minutes before we found them about 1 kilometre before Gemsbokplein. I was 8:15 in the morning.

Well we found the traffic jam they were causing. O** O**

We eventually got into a reasonable position along the side of the road just in time to see one of the leopards, (We think that it was Miera, but I would like confirmation of this) disappearing over the top of the ridge on the west
P1730218.JPG

Everything was a bit frantic with cars trying to get into position and some leaving, with people saying that both leopards had now gone over the top.
I decided to turn the vehicle around to face back towards Mata Mata when suddenly I noticed more movement a little further to the north.

A young leopard was moving down off the ridge (Miera’s other cub??)

P1730340.JPG

This beauty came down off the ridge and settled behind a bush.

The leopard eventually started moving north and the procession of cars followed

Posing occasionally as it went
P1730372.JPG

Eventually, it became irritated by all the attention and moved onto the road in an attempt to cross over to the other side. One of the vehicles was following it, a little too close for comfort forcing the cat to run away. Idiot!! :evil:

It eventually managed to cross the road and made a bee line for the far side of the riverbed.

Really happy with our sightings so far today, we decided that the sighting was over, so I turned around and went to Auchterlonie for coffee and to stretch our legs.

Well we had time for a quick visit to the loo, before we were on the move again.

Why?

Another leopard had been spotted at Kamfersboom :shock:

The 5 kilometres to the waterhole seemed to take forever. We got there at 9:21am, just in time to see it at the waterhole drinking.
We had just missed it resting under a bush on the west before crossing over the road and going to drink
But hey, our 4th leopard within 90 minutes

P1730398.JPG

Being carefully watched by the locals.

We then returned to Auchterlonie for our coffee

However, our day was far from over.......tbc
0()
Last edited by GavinW on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

So I was mistaken, we didn't see Miera but we had seen her two cubs Mbali and Madi We had just missed Miera as she disappeared over the ridge.

The other leopard we had seen was the Auchterloine Female

After the Auchterlonie female disappeared from view, we returned to the picnic site for the coffee we had meant to have had earlier.

In the past, we have seen the resident barn owls in the well at Auchterlonie, but they had been eluding us for a few trips recently
Today was different, perched on a ledge some 5 metres down we spotted it in the darkness

The trip back to Urikaruus was quite, and besides seeing the 4 lions from earlier passed out under a tree near Rooikop, a bee eater mother and her chick were all that we really saw out of the ordinary

Relaxing for a while back in camp, we kept and eye on the water hole, as one does and we were rewarded by spotting some secretary birds coming in for a lunchtime tipple.

Our drive that afternoon, surprise surprise, was south again.
We were hoping to see if any of the leopards would reappear.
No such luck, so after a while we returned to the sleeping lions at Rooikop

The gates close at 7:30 in December and January in the park, and our lazy felines decided to wait until 7:00 before getting up and heading to the waterhole for a drink

As a result, we had a really short period of time which we could watch them before having to leave and travel the 13 kilometres back to camp
They did not disappoint
P1730484.JPG
The two boys also posed nicely for us before we had to leave
P1730509.JPG
Wow what a day O/\ O/\ O/\

Some animals really know how to mess up ones social life. :evil:

We had just settled down with a glass of wine, along with friends Rob and Glynis, with our fire just lit, when we had a visitor to the waterhole.

Itumeleng

We first noticed her only once she was at the waterhole
P1730620.JPG
At 8pm it is getting dark in the Kgalagadi so we did the best we could under the circumstances to get some pictures of her.

All too quickly she returned the way she had come, and disappeared firstly under the next door cabin and then up past the camp attendants cabin behind us
P1730655.JPG
We were blown away

4 leopards in one day. No-one would believe us :shock: :shock:

The dinner that night was especially enjoyable as we celebrated our insane day in the Kgalagadi
But the day would have been incomplete without a brownie, so just before bed at about 9.30 we had another visitor to the waterhole
Last edited by GavinW on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wishing I was in the KTP
Alf

Post by Alf »

Wow what a day ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Must have had been pumping with adrenaline that day with all those cats, and especially all those spotted ones! :shock:

The Auchterlonie Female would have been my top fav of them. She's such a legend, hope she'll still stay around a bit longer.

Any comments on my previous post regarding the cheetahs?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PJL

Post by PJL »

Wow what an amazing days sightings ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Mel wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:04 pm Any comments on my previous post regarding the cheetahs?
Mel, they were in the river-bed where the road crosses the Auob River just south of Kalahari Tented Camp.
They must have mas=de the kill at about 7 in the morning, as I said we missed it, and the photos we got were not great at all.
All we can say is that there were 3 cheetah and killed a springbok

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Time for some of the smaller critters of the desert

The chances of repeating a day like we had just had in the Kgalagadi were slim, so we left Urikaruus the next day with no expectations.
Which, in all honesty, is what you should do every day whilst in the KTP.
The sunrise that morning as we left camp, as usual did not disappoint

We decided to head down south again, and just before you cross over the riverbed after leaving the camp, we came upon these Cape Foxes playing in the early morning sunlight.
P1730719.JPG
A bit further on a bat eared fox was one of a family out still foraging for food in the early morning.

And near Montrose the suricate sentinels were out on duty and on guard, as always.
(These guys made my wife very happy)

Probably the highlight of our morning drive was this black shouldered kite we spotted, having breakfast.
Not too sure if that would be on my breakfast menu, but the kite was having fun
P1730765.JPG
We carried on down as far south as Munroe before turning back.
Silver eye was flat under a tree on the far side of the riverbed, but the other lions were nowhere to be seen.

On the way back to camp we saw this kudu with deformed hooves, which is a result of them being predominately on soft sand. As a result, the hooves don’t wear down as the would normally, and like fingernails left to grow too long this is what happens
P1730830.JPG
The afternoon and evening was spent in camp along with Zazu
P1480794.JPG
That evening we had the most amazing sunset and rain later in the evening

And before we went to bed, our obligatory brownie can to say goodnight
Last edited by GavinW on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wishing I was in the KTP
Alf

Post by Alf »

That bat eared fox is so cute

Interesting kudu

Love your view over the braai ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Great selection and lucky with leopard, Gavin! :shock:

[O]

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”