When the Lions are away, the Leopards come out to play (April 2019)

Mel
Global Moderator

When the Lions are away, the Leopards come out to play (April 2019)

Post by Mel »

6th April 2019 Twee Rivieren to Urikaruus

I know the title sounds as if we had seen tons of leopards. We did not. But compared to what most of the other visitors reported seeing,
the SO and I felt quite lucky with what we got. Mind you, on average we had one good sighting per day - compared to three or more on most of our previous trips. Sometimes it would be more than that while other days went without even the glimpse of a hyena or such. Lucky for us, we have been to the Kgalagadi so often that the pressure of having to see something is gone and by now we are able to fully relax and just enjoy the silence and the ongoings of the smaller creatures in camp.

Also, since the temperatures were really pleasant this time around, it meant that it cooled down quite quickly after sunset. That's usually the time that we take our daily showers which can be quite a rush because it often collides with dinner preparations. But since we hardly ever went out in the late afternoon since there wasn't much to see anyway, the shower-dinner arrangement went smoothly and greatly helped to really unwind.

We entered the park around 4.15 pm on the 6th April and had booked Urikaruus for the first two nights of our trip. With gate closing being at 6.30 pm there wasn't much time to spare on our drive up after the checking-in process, deflating the tyres and fuelling up. So we decided to travel at max speed allowed to be able to stop if something came up. It soon got very clear that we were in for a quiet trip. From about Auchterlonie northwards the Auob was devoid of plants and therefore antelopes. I remember that we once entered a park that resembled more a moonscape than a healthy environment for wild animals but never ever in autumn. It felt quite odd.

Anyway, first deed was to check the owl tree just out of Twee Rivieren and after a couple of trip, the Verreaux's preched in its old abode again.
DSC_0293_00001_00003.jpg
That was the only time we should see it. We checked every time we passed, but obviously there was a more comfortable tree around somewhere...

Already in the Auob I found my first black-shoulder kite.
DSC_0305_00002_00004.jpg
In contrast to previous trip there were quite a few around again.

And the final sighting in daylight - a tortoise:
DSC_0311_00003_00005.jpg
I was quite surprise because I remember seeing them mostly after some rain. But there you go....

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: When the Lions are away, the Leopards come out to play (April 2019)

Post by Mel »

It was 7.30 pm and I was just taking a shower when the SO stormed into the bathroom and hissed "Leopard!!!"
Geez! I was well soaped and the water at Uri feels like soap itself. But of course I had to try to get rid of some of it to be able to take a few proof shots… I'm still happy that it was dark because I lost the wrapped around towel and was actually stark naked at some point (and freezing!!!)

However, it was well worth it... At least I managed a shot that allowed me to ID her as Itumeleng :-0
DSC_0331_00001_00004_00006.jpg

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

"Very few sightings": Including the birds?

Two lovely raptors ^Q^ ^Q^

0() 0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I found birds and raptors a mixed bag really. It certainly was much calmer at the bird bathes at Grootkolk compared to other trips.
But I put that down to the fact that it wasn't that hot and they didn't feel the need to drink as much. I did miss the constant chirping
of the sociable weavers. Even though they were around regularly. Just not always.

It took ages before we saw the first bigger raptors - especially tawnies. Saw quite a few martials on the Nossob side. PCG in masses
as usual and all others were around too. But often far off, so I didn't even think of photos.

There'll be the odd bird from the camps though ;-)

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

\O

I see that you got your first leopard, naked ;-) ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
harrys

Post by harrys »

Wonderful Leopard O/\ ^Q^ and nice owl ^Q^

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

by now we are able to fully relax and just enjoy the silence and the ongoings of the smaller creatures in camp.

:yes: Up to a point, though! :twisted:

Naked, eh? Well well well, Mello, that must be a first! =O:

Lucky SO, watching kaal girl and leopard at the same time! ..0..

0() 0() 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Promising start and title, Mel O/\

and already a first leopard \O

Lucky for us, we have been to the Kgalagadi so often that the pressure of having to see something is gone and by now we are able to fully relax and just enjoy the silence and the ongoings of the smaller creatures in camp.

The same applies for us when in Kruger and believe me when you travel that way there are always nice surprises around O/\

0()

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great that you saw a leopard already....albeit kaal gat!! lol \O \O

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

We missed both Leopard and Giant eagle Owl

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”