Post by Pumbaa »

Again great cheetah shots, ExFmem,

and for sure the other ones are incredble as well X#X O\/

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Flutterby

Re: Heartstring Moments - Springtime in the Kalahari 2018

Post by Flutterby »

The pics of the cheetah "hunt" are incredible, \O but I'm glad you didn't wait to see it end! :-(

Hilarious quips on your other pics!! =O: =O: ^Q^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Your report is kept till last for me again, as "dessert", Ex! 0/0 0/0 0/0

What exceptional cheetah behaviour shots. The action pics are very difficult with that light, I'm sure? Love the last cheetah pic! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

And the quotes to the "postcards' are excellent!! =O: =O: =O:

I think the lambs are meant to hide and run only when something is too close? -O-

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Alf

Post by Alf »

Just chaw dropping pictures of the cheetahs ^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Fun captions again! =O: =O: =O: Oh, and the pix that go with them aren't too bad either ^0^

Sat and watched - I think it was a wasp rather than a bee - drilling a hole in one of those poles that hold the gate at the patio at Grootkolk.
Amazing how strong it was, it really got the job done ^Q^

Do you remember when exactly you watched Corinne's cubs hunt? Is it possible it was on the 11th? Because people told us about them feeding
on a live lamb, so I wonder if it was the same occasion or if those brutes 0' :twisted: did it more than once.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Sis 0/0 ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ -YAY, you "got" the wildebeest pic! 0-

Peter, Pumbaa, Flutts, Alf - thanks for the nice comments O0

RP - Yep, the action started at 6:45AM, so there wasn't a lot of light to work with, and at times, they were pretty far away. Thus some of the pics are grainy (noise). Then later in the day when it's bright and sunny the cheetahs are often in the shade, so it is still somewhat challenging - Murphy's Laws always at work. :evil:

Mel - the mechanism by which the wasps and bees are able to chew/disolve wood, I don't know, but they are indeed little dynamos. Yes, Corinne's hunt was Oct. 11 (we stayed from 6:45 - 8AM), so I'm sure it's the same incident.

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

A few other sightings of the day -

Grey Hornbill (male)

Some silly ostriches

The leopard at Craig Lockhart (Mel's TT has some wonderful shots of her ^Q^ )

We had our last predator with prey sighting upon our arrival back at camp - in our room

Then it was time for Sundowners X#X

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

This must have been National Spot a Cheetah Day, as we encountered 7 different cheetahs, including 2 "new" ones for us.

Corinne and cubs, once again, had a springbok lamb they were feasting on. (Of the 10 different sightings of Corinne & cubs this trip, they had a kill 6 of those sightings. :shock: )

Next up, Hanri, Corinne's sister.

The cub tried mightily to move the carcass for Mom, but just wasn't strong enough quite yet.

At one point the cub lost its balance and flipped over the springbok, as it was unwilling to let go of its grip - it was comical to see, tho' the pic doesn't really do the maneuver justice

Exhausted, the cub gave up and joined Mom under the tree for a much needed rest.

The next sighting was of an older male hanging out with a younger cheetah, the sex of which we didn't know at that point. Why would a male be accompanied by another younger cheetah, obviously not his sibling??? -O-

Upon our return home, Mel astutely 0/0 ID'd them both as males, along w/ their names, and it seems their connection to one another is quite interesting. The older is one of Corinne's sons, Hinault, from her SECOND litter, while the younger one is a son, Chipo, from Corinne's DAUGHTER of her FIRST litter!!

Perhaps this diagram is easier to follow (Mel, please correct as nec. and I will change it if needed.)

Corinne's son and grandson somehow met and decided to stay together - how cool is that??? I wonder if they can somehow "sense" they are related and therefore "safe"? We also saw them the next day and got better pics.

If anyone has any further info. on such an arrangement, I'd love to hear it please. How common is it, etc. Thanks! :ty: :ty:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It was a real cheetah trip :shock: ^Q^ ^Q^

I have no idea of what the leopard is starring at, but I am much more curious to know what the ostriches are looking at :-? lol lol

That lion looks definitely arrogant O**

It is not easy to see who is the predator and who is the prey of those thingies that you found in your room =O:

Yep! Sundowner time X#X

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”