Kgalagadi reflections

okie

Kgalagadi reflections

Post by okie »

OK , yeah , yeah , yeah :O^ I was still busy with a pictorial of our visit to Kruger in March this year , when we were off to Kgalagadi 0*\
The last time we visited this park in 2001 , it was still called Kalahari Gemsbok Park , so , it's being quite a while ........
We made our reservations way back when bookings opened in 2016 , only managing to get 2 nights at Twee Rivieren , 2 nights Kalahari Tented camp , and 2 nights at Mata Mata ( from 17th August for six nights , departing on 23rd August ) .
We left the farm at Worcester on 16th August and stayed over halfway outside Britstown , and were to start our visit in KTP the next day , on 17th August .
Now , somehow , Okiedokie got her dates mixed up , and therefore we were quite surprised , when late afternoon on 16th August , we received a telephone call from KTP , enquiring why we had not checked in at T/Rivieren , which of course is when we found out that we had a made a mistake in our dates . Oops 0*\
Told them we are on the way , and certainly will be checking in the next day , and also enquired whether they could perhaps give us another day somewhere else , or whatever .
Nope , the park is full , full , full :O^ So , tough luck , we have lost a day :-(
However , when we arrived at check-in the next day , we were told that they could give us an extra day at Twee Rivieren on 22 August ^Q^
So , as it turned out , nothing was lost , and all well done by KTP reception staff ^Q^

Well , so much for all the talking , from now on , mainly pictures with little narrative ;-)

Enough is enough
okie

Re: Kgalagadi reflections

Post by okie »

After checking in at T.Rivieren , we still had time for a short drive up and down the Nossob road .

A little interaction between a PCG and a mongoose .
IMG_2971.JPG
At Samevloeiing the sun shone directly into the camera lens , but the dust kicked up by the herd of springbok seemed quite interesting
IMG_2992.JPG

Enough is enough
nan

Post by nan »

lost... and recovery one day... that is the class... well done KTP O/\ ^Q^

I also saw a Mongoose follows a PCG, a bit like Honey Badger \O ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

I'm ready for more 0()

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Ouch... losing a day in the KTP would be most hurtful to me O-/

Kalahari Gemsbok Park... I'm sure you you didn't have to book 11 months ahead 0*\
Back then one could go whenever one felt like it...

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
okie

Post by okie »

Hmmm... not quite so mel :no: Only TR was open all year round , and both the roads you could only go as far as the second dune road --- both MM and Nossob camps were closed during summer , November to April . The border post at MM was not open either .
The other thing I must say , is that the roads were in much much better condition than what we found them now .
The two dune roads were basically sand tracks for which you preferably needed 4 x 4 .
Since then , off course they " upgraded " those two road almost into " highways " , but their condition is probably the worst dirt roads I have ever driven in my entire life @#$
In fact , they are so bad , that I do not think I will ever go back to KTP again :no: :-(

Enough is enough
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Ya, another Okie TT! 0()

okie

Post by okie »

Early morning ( it was minus 1 degree during the night 0*\ ) , a couple of Bulbuls warming themselves in sun ..
IMG_2997.JPG

Enough is enough
okie

Post by okie »

Gemsbok eating/licking the salty earth
IMG_3015.JPG
And birds for an early morning drink
IMG_3018.JPG
IMG_3024.JPG

Enough is enough
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

What for those roads to be tarred 0*\ 0*\ 0*\ This rumour has been going on since anons by now.
Just hope they'll never come true, even though I fully understand how people are unhappy with
the state of the roads.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Yay, okie! \O

Ja, I arrived a day early once.... O-/

Eventually they could help us out, well done SANParks! \O :yes:

I like the springbuck against the sun! ;-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”