Table for One - my first solo safari

nan

Re: Table for One - my first solo safari

Post by nan »

I understand your... discomfort with mathematic... the only one for me is the convertion CHF/ZAR is by 7... the worst ;-) =O:

Yes Masego again, love the little "Big appetite" O-/
and this poor Lion... the last meal it seems :-(

again O/\ ^Q^ O\/ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Now listen here young lady. :X:

The Dewey Imbecile System works perfectly. And I should know. 0=

Now, pay attention.

You should use the DIS system (that's Dewi's Imbibing System in case you are wondering) and you will never go wrong.

For cash conversion, wave a wodge of banknotes at the cashier and ask "How many beers can I get for this?"

For distance think - "How long is it to my next beer?"

For temperature think - "I need/could do with/might have a cold beer." That's hot, mild & cold in that order temperature wise. \O

For time think - "It's beer o'clock."

You can substitute beer to wine if you prefer. Or whatever your poison is come to think of it. ;-)

Secretarybirds are related to eagles because their feather lice are also related to the ones found on eagles. \O

Stunning leopard pics. ^Q^

Lovely AWC. O/\

Love the familiar chat around comp. O\/

Well, that's my tuppence h'appeny worth. Time I popped off for a firkin of beer. X#X

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Sis - yes, I remember years ago I would exchange my currency in whatever country, then duck into a bathroom stall to count/divide/multiply and try to figure out how much of "theirs" was equal to how much of "ours" in a quiet place. 0:

Not sure about the sickly lion - a male, but w/out a mane and quite small, so perhaps a teenager/young adult that couldn't make it on its own (mom killed, caught some disease, no pride members???). :-(

Mel - I do have one more pic of the lion taken after my upcoming days at Grtklk and Nossob. He was lying beside the giraffe, and I couldn't tell if he was alive or not. Very poignant. :no: :-(

I usually take a measuring cup so no conversions nec. there - but not this trip.

Flutts - with the changing currency I don't want to embarrass myself by giving too little. :o0ps: We used to give 6 Rands ($1), but now have to double that, or would be giving someone a mere 50 cents, etc. I like your "cents" joke -

nan - glad you can relate to all the math requirements - it's exhausting 0=

Dewi - =O: =O: =O: =O: HAHAHAHA Love it! Thanks for the sec. bird clarification.

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

The drive to Nossob after I left the loops on the Auob side was very quiet. I find the Dune Road to the gate at Nossob to be a VERY long stretch, and have had very little luck there with sightings in the past. This time was no different.

I had 1 day at Nossob prior to my trip to Grootkolk (3 days there), then unfortunately 3 more days at Nossob thereafter. 0' I find it has little atmosphere at all, almost devoid of any "bush" vibe. The front chalets look out over the gas station and passing cars, and the back units face the (while construction is ongoing) campers and construction trucks, etc. There is really no privacy and no listening to either wildlife, or just silence, while sitting by the fire or reading. I understand the desire to add units, so hopefully they will bring some appeal back to this camp.

Sightings on my drive to Grootkolk included these beautiful Red-billed Teals at Kwang,

a male and 2 female lions doing their speed bump impressions,

a young wildebeest,

and a hungry squirrel.

I was allotted Unit #1 (YAY), and was greeted by a Corn Cricket as I stepped out of the car.

Since I don't think much corn is grown in the scrub desert, I don't know what it subsists on, but I guess all the other vegetable names were taken already and Rutabaga Cricket isn't very melodic.

A couple other insects around my unit included a butterfly

and a number of flies who obviously have a penchant for lying. O**

The geckos joined me at night as we both enjoyed our evening meals.

I was in heaven on earth once again.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Amazing again! I'm not sure which of your macro photos I like best... They are all astonishing O:V
Glad you didn't have to eat alone lol Nice photos of your mate there. ^Q^
The teals are appealing too. Kinda strange to see them in the middle of the desert but they seem to be quite happy :-)
Squirrel feeding on a melon... I'd love to get such a shot too. Or the mice that I saw on Facebook. But not happening as longs
as we stick to our October / March (April) routine 0*\

I share your sentiments about the lack of atmosphere at Nossob :O^ And I'm happy to say that we managed to ditch
it completely for the upcoming trip and managed to top up from 2 to 4 nights at Grootkolk. Now waiting for two more
and we'll have the perfect itinerary lol (That would be the trip divided into Uri and GK O/\ )

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Not a very pretty cricket although the pics are great.

Are those flies? The look more like something between a bee and a mosquito and... -O- lol

Aha! a table for two :yes: I must say that you choose your company with care and with such excellent table manners lol

I love the squirrel with the melon O/\ O/\

Your description of Nossob is perfect even if there was no construction work, when we were there.

The teals look completely out of place, even if pretty 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Wow, stunning pics again! \O \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Catching up, Ex!

So clever and hilarious, your commentary and general mumblings! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

SA also used pounds and feet under the English, until we got rid of them! And for a while after...then I don't know what happened? :-?

A got a fright looking at that corn cricket...the animal I despise the most on earth... :no:

Bad luck for that lion..no idea? -O-

0() 0() 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Amazing pics once again ExFmem. ^Q^ \O

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
nan

Post by nan »

wow great pictures of the Gecko O/\ O/\ O/\ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
lovely melon and its devouring 0/0

and... and... ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”