Wannabe Larnies in the KTP: December/Jan 2015*

GavinW

Re: Wannabe Larnies in the KTP: December/Jan 2015

Post by GavinW »

Day 7: New Years Day 2015 starts off exceptionally

The previous evening Jacques had reminded us that the “gate “ opening times for January were 30 minutes later than December, so at 5.30 the next morning we were slightly bemused when our neighbours at Urikaruus were all set to leave and at the attendant’s hut. To our surprise a few minutes later they were on their way out. :shock:

I went to investigate. No, the times had been changed, and now the December times still applied in January. Made sense to me as it was already light, so after a quick speed up of events in the Wannabe Larnie’s Chalet we were out on the road by 5 45am after thanking Jacques for his hospitality over the last few days O0

We decided to head north again as we would be going south to Kielie Krankie later in the day.

Our first sighting of the new year were these long necks on the side of the road just north of camp

As we approached the waterhole at 13th borehole, we saw a lion on the dunes to the right.

He quickly moved down to the waterhole and had a drink. I must admit he did look a bit skraal (thin) to say the least.

He finished drinking, and we followed him as he carried on in a northerly direction.

At the end of the 13th borehole loop, he disappeared over the dunes to the west.

But as he did that, Debs saw these ladies making their way towards us.

We watched them approach at the same time as the cavalry from Mata Mata arrived. :evil:

Suddenly traffic of note had arrived, and I was out of there. 0/*

Knowing that the lions were heading down towards 13th and that there were puddles in the road at the entrance, I decided to pre-empt their movements and went and parked at the water in the road.

Bonus \O

Except, some idiot tried to park directly in our view of the approaching cats, after us claiming our spot for a good few minutes prior to their arrival. :twisted:

Needless to say she moved off pretty quickly after my SO had a few terse words with her (in “polite” sign language).

We were treated to these scenes.........

And a black and white image as they moved on O:V

They eventually moved up and over the dunes to the east.

but our sighting wasn't over just yet!!!

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

While we were watching the lionesses going up over the dune, we noticed that they seemed quite nervous, peering back over their shoulders all the time.

The thin male we had seen earlier reappeared and also stopped for a drink.

He seemed to be following them but soon all four had disappeared from view, so we will never know what transpired.

We turned around and headed back south.
At 14th borehole we spotted this gymnogene hiding in a tree near the waterhole,

and also met up with Michele and Doug, and followed them back to Kamqua.
As they were on their way out the park, our friends exchanged our fridge battery for theirs, and we had some champagne and orange to celebrate the New Year. :ty:

By now the day had heated up substantially, and even though we saw two sets of lions on the way down to Twee Rivieren, they were all flat cats under trees. We watched them for a while, took a few proof pics and carried on.

At Batulama, a couple of lionesses strolling around

And at Kamfersboom, a big male on a kill on the far side of the riverbed
We would see him again!!

However, this agama was out and about.

We eventually arrived at TR, filled up with petrol and supplies, charged our batteries and left for the next stage of our holiday

4 nights at Kieliekrankie

We were greeted by Willem, who led us to chalet number 2, and once unpacked, we decided to spend the rest of the day in camp just chilling!!

Last edited by GavinW on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wishing I was in the KTP
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Love the awakening lions, Gavin,

and the drinking lions and the secretary birds \O You had indeed great sightings ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Day 8: 2 January A REALLY special day

Because we had been on the Auob side of the park almost exclusively for the past 5 days, we woke on our first day at Kielikrankie and were determined to head to Kij Kij and Melkvlei on the Nossob side.

We left at 5.30am sharp, knowing that we had a good hours travelling over the Lower Dune road before we would arrive at Kij Kij, and that we would only have a short window of opportunity before cars from Twee Rivieren would start arriving.
At the same time, we didn’t want to rush over the Dune road as who knows what that would have to offer.

Well, what do you normally see on the dune road besides dunes

Black Headed Korhaans

And Steenbok of course.

Well that’s what we thought until we came across one of our very best sightings of the trip.
One our left we suddenly saw what we thought at first were cape fox, but actually were these adorable black backed jackal pups. A brother and sister.

The little girl was quite skittish and kept her distance,

whilst her brother was just the opposite, and wanted to see what this big silver thing was that had suddenly arrived.

The lighting was perfect, and we got some really nice photos of the two of them before the little girls pleas to her brother to "Come back here or I’ll tell mommy!!" eventually paid off and the two disappeared into the dunes.

Before Kij Kij, this pale chanting goshawk posed nicely for us on a branch.

Kij Kij was quiet, so we turned left and headed up towards Melkvlei.
Along the way, we found our cape foxes. A bit far off the road but nevertheless.

It appeared that today was going to be a day of puppys. Or so we thought.
Last edited by GavinW on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

After watching the cape foxes for a while, we decided to carry on, as they were quite far away and moving even further off.

We were about 2kms from Melvlei when we spotted these guys walking on the side of the dune to the west.

Cheetah O/\ O/\

The mother and four cubs carried on in the direction of Melkvlei, stopping to have a look around

And resting in shade every now and then

Eventually, they started moving again.

I knew that there were puddles of water in the road about 500m further on, so I took a chance and pre-empted the fact that they may come and drink from the puddles, and left the cheetahs, and by now entourage of about 5 other vehicles, and went ahead to get an ideal spot. ..0..

Well, we waited there for quite a while, watching some of the other locals drinking from the water.

a Namaqua Dove

and a tortoise

The cars were getting closer bit by bit......... :-) :-)

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

The family eventually made their way towards us,

and we were perfectly positioned to see what was about to happen next \O

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Being a man of few words...........

What we experienced next was one of the highlights of our trip, and I can’t add anything by means of narration what the photos cannot say themselves.

Needless to say, though I admit it myself, my arriving early at the puddles in the road certainly paid dividends

See the Namaqua dove ducking lol

The cheetah were making the most of what little water was left in the mud puddles.
Just shows you how precious even the last drop of water is in the KTP

Don't you just love the muddy tongue?

Mommy checking that everything is ok

Here you can see the cubs furry backs quite nicely

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

We were treated to half an hour’s worth of special time with the family.

A family group pic O:V

The cubs were quite curious and wandered around the now 10 or so other vehicles which were present at the sighting

Keeping sis in check!!

before they moved off to the east and settled under a tree.

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Thanks for the comments everyone. O0

Here are two of my photos of the sighting before we move on O/\

And look who had been sitting in the mud!!!

(In fact they all had been O:V

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

The cheetah had moved off to the left, and were settled for the day under a tree, so we decided to head off to Melkvei for some breakfast and to stretch our legs.

We were greeted by this sparrow, who also seemed thirsty.

We drove a bit further north towards Gunong, before turning around and headed back to Twee Rivieren for petrol and supplies.

The cheetahs were still asleep under the tree, but we did see caracal and her family along the way.
As well as these meerkats, just near Rooiputs.

We arrived at Twee Rivieren to find horror of horrors, that they had run out of unleaded petrol, and only expected the tanker to be in TR in about two days time.

We were told that Mata Mata had supplies, so we had no choice but to plan a trip there for the next day. We still had about half a tank so we were ok, for now.

We recharged our batteries and returned to Kieliekrankie for a rest before our evening drive. The male lion from yesterday, was still flat under the tree at Kamfersboom.

Wishing I was in the KTP

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”