Extended KTP Trip oct 2013

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Extended KTP Trip oct 2013

Post by Mel »

Ekon O\/ O\/ O\/

And he looks very relaxed and very adorable. 0/0

Splendid shots. :-)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

Day 13 - 15th October - Continued

Last shoot before reaching camp.

It had been quite a frustrating day in general as we felt we had been close to action but nothing materialised. Once again tonight I tried my hand at getting some star trail photographic work done without any kind of success. I think the next step is for me to post my rubbish photographs and ask for help.

After lighting the fire we just relaxed having whiskey water and ice and beer shandy hoping for some activity at the waterhole. The waterhole was extremely quiet except for some steenbok and bbj we suspect again due to the waterhole issue.

By now the fire was nicely ready and we cooked a flatty chicken with the following salads beetroot, pickled onions, corn, pasta salad. We must be honest the packet salad mix were not great and we really would not recommend this unless you are desperate for some type of salad when you are on an extended trip of 24 days like us.

We do not have another recommendation here as the stock in any of the shops and the durability of good salad stuff will not last for an extended trip and we were on day 13 and it was the only option we had.

After dinner we did the normal had shower, wash dishes etc and got into bed around 9.45pm.

Day 14 - 16th October

Today we awoke a lot earlier than normal at 4h15am as the winding was blowing at such a force that the noise was incredible. It was so strong that we could not really sit outside so we just made coffee and listened as it did its thing.

We left the unit at 5h50am to take our cool drinks, cameras etc to the car when williem came over and told us that just before we came out of our unit a genet and African wildcat were fighting on our walkway ceiling. We collected our permit and left camp at 6am sharp.

After heading down 3km’s to the t junction we decided to explore the road on our own so we turned right and tried the lower dune road going towards Kij Kij. The road in general was quiet but we did spot leopard spore on more then one occasion but without success. On arriving at kij kij we sat and had coffee just relaxing and watching the surrounding activity of black back jackals doves etc. After coffee we turned left and headed north to Gunong but did not see much along this road.

Steenbok

Once they have mated and the female gives birth, the young fawn will lie in the long grass for approximately 3 months with mom only moving it to get the scent trails away so that predators have a tough time finding them. Even the adults will use hiding as a form of defence, only springing out of the bush at the last moment to make a break for it.

Steenbok are also the only antelope to have toilet etiquette - they dig a hole in which they will urinate or defecate. Once finished they will cover the hole up which is useful for 2 reasons; firstly it retains the moisture and scent for longer meaning they have to mark their territory less. It also leaves less of a visual marker for predators, which is especially important seeing as they have such small territories.

Springbok

They have a pocket-like skin flap that runs from the middle of their back to their tail. When they are excited or frightened they can lift this flap which makes the white hairs underneath stand up in a conspicuous crest that acts as a warning to other Springbok.

Springbok have ringed, curved, black horns that are present in both males and females. They can reach lengths of 48 cms (19 inches) in males, but females have shorter, thinner horns.

Springbok are known to leap up to 4 m (13 ft) in the air in an activity known as pronking. While in the air their body is curved, and their legs are stiff, close together and point downwards. Upon landing they immediately leap upwards again and during this period the crest on their back is raised. It is unknown why they pronk but it is possible they do it to indicate to predators that they have been spotted.

Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

Day 14 - 16th October - Continued

Springbok

Breeding:
Lambs are born mainly in summer and during the rainy season, from November to February in the northern parts of the country and some during July in Cape areas, but it could often be any time of the year depending on the area or region, availability and supply of food and climate. Newly born lambs are hidden away for a few days under tall grass or shrubs.

Gestation period:
About 24 weeks (168 days)

Lifespan:
Up to 10 years

Kesheshe

Post by Kesheshe »

Day 14 - 16th October - Continued

Springbok

Springbok are herd animals and move in small herds during winter, but often crowd together in bigger herds in summer. They eat both grass and leaves and can go without drinking-water, because they get enough moisture from the succulent leaves. Where drinking-water is available they will use it.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Ja, fresh stuff is really difficult to come by. We usually just braai onions towards the end of our trip
or have tinned corn with a vinegar and oil dressing. :O^

Very cute springboks! 0/0 Shame, that some of them made dinner for the cheetahs. O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
nan

Post by nan »

cute little lambs O/\ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Tina

Post by Tina »

wonderful sunrise O/\ O/\

cute bokkies - great pictures ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

10.03. - 24.03.2015 From Berg to bush
19.11. - 01.12.2015 KTP
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Adorable sprinboks ^Q^ ^Q^ \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
General Gump

Post by General Gump »

Kesheshe, I am now wanting to press fast forward to my trip in Oct
As always very informative \O

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

When are you going, Gump? O**

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”