Going to the Northern Cape slowly - the complete story.

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Going to the Northern Cape slowly - the complete story.

Post by Mel »

Guinea Pig wrote:I must say though that my feeling is the dune roads are to be driven with care. On our way back to KTC from Nossob later in the day I got the fright of the trip - I "fell asleep" behind the steering wheel. It was the weirdest sensation. I thought I was awake and aware of my surroundings, when Duco "woke" me up. He'd fallen asleep and I got "hypnotized" - for lack of a better word. The monotony of the landscape and midday heat make a dangerous combination. O/
That's absolutely true! Happened to me once as well. Luckily, in the passenger seat. But I wasn't only hypnotized...
Still, when you're coming down all the way from GK, you usually end up driving that road in the heat of the day
and you feel very exhausted and tired. We now use the air con on really hot days to prevent that.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Guinea Pig

Post by Guinea Pig »

Mel wrote: We now use the air con on really hot days to prevent that.
That's what we did immediately. Not what you really want to do, but it is safer. \O

nan

Post by nan »

a Barking Gecko O/\ O\/ ^Q^

agree too... often I fall asleep... not in the dune roads... "only" in the sand, in the riverbed road
but I'm alone, and the sand awake me :shock: O-/
in this case I stay in place (where I find a little bit more space) and sleep a little moment in the car =O:

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely scenery and cute barking gecko! \O

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Guinea Pig wrote:
Mel wrote:
Do you happen to know what that shouting ;-) LBJ on the rocks is?
That we were told is a Sabota Lark. \O
Correct

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Loved your report Santie ...Glad you enjoyed your first trip to the Kalahari. It takes me back to my first trip in 1961 and there have been 43 trips of a week or longer since ..the only thing has changed since those early days is that there are other cars now lol ....Unfortunately finding lions in the loo on the South African side is a thing of the past now as SANParks in their wisdom have now lion proofed all the loo stops with doors etc etc ..For that you will have to join Jane and I and my boys on the unfenced Botswana side camp sites at Rooiputs, Polentswa and Mabuasehube but you will need a Hilux with a roof top tent and you will have lion in the firelight most nights and you wont be given cowboy advice to rev your vehicle engine to chase them away hyena style either!!! :evil:..Loved your bird pics ..say hi to Duco ..has he left the SANParks forum???...advice for next trip ...best aircon for KTP ..the 4x30 method ..4 windows open and 30 kmh ...that way you can smell the Kalahari and listen to its wonderful concert directly and not through a closed window IMO..Sorry that Ducos camera was wonky ..I will send him a Nikon brochure O/\

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

[quote="Guinea Pig"]

This clan had youngsters at the time that were very happy to keep themselves busy by chewing on any rubber bits on your vehicle. Jannie gave us the advice to simply start the car and rev the engine a little bit. It works... =O:

Par for the course advice from a former SANParks 'Guide' :evil: No more Cowboys Please

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Guinea Pig is long gone here, Peter! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

LOL Rich ..Why is she Gone ..Pressure from her man =O:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Not at all! lol

Who knows? Ask her? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”