Not a trip report - trip report

Dzombo

Not a trip report - trip report

Post by Dzombo »

So................

I am back from my recent trip to SA and Kruger.

Not planning on doing a full on trip report. But will share some random thoughts.

Arrived in Jhb in the middle of load shedding season. Fortunately that only lasted for the first or two that we were there. Didn't hugely impact on things. Most companies, businesses and shopping centre are well prepared.

Drive to Malelane from Jhb via the tunnel was ok. A bit slow through the Croc River Gorge as it is windy and the lorries seem reluctant to allow you to pass. But it's a short stretch.

We entered/exited at Malelane and furthest north we ventured was Olifants staying at Skukuza, Satara and Lower Sabie (7 nights in total)
Check in at gate and camps went smoothly. All staff encountered were efficient and friendly.

Game viewing:
The bush was very very thick. And in places the grass was taller than the car (Rav 4).
Predators were few and far between: 3 lion sighings (1 poor, 1 average and 1 next to road), 1 cheetah (far) and a few hyena.
General game was iffy. Some drives/roads were good. Others we went a long way without seeing anything.
Rhino - only had 1 decent sighting and 1 far away. Clearly the long term effects of the poaching :evil:
Elephants - had plenty excellent sightings of both breeding herds and lone bulls. Two hot spots were the Timbavati area and the H4-2 between LS and Croc Bridge
Giraffe - Plentiful. Especially along the Sabie, and the Timbavati area.
Sable - had hoped to see some. But no luck.
Birding - Very good. Ticket about 150 species (still need to finalise my tally with some photo id)

Roads I particularly enjoyed: H4-2, Timbavati Rd (S39/S40), Sunset Dam
Disappointing Roads: S21,S28,S147, S100

Traffic. Aside from the cat sightings, the roads generally felt quiet.

Overall not as good as my Sept 2018 trip.
But still fantastic being in Kruger
Last edited by Dzombo on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flutterby

Re: Not a trip report - trip report

Post by Flutterby »

Welcome back Dzombo! 0/*

Game viewing is not great at this time of year. With the long grass it's very difficult to spot the predators. But as you said...fantastic birding!! ^Q^ ^Q^

Looking forward to seeing your pics. 0()

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Flutterby wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:12 pm Game viewing is not great at this time of year. With the long grass it's very difficult to spot the predators. But as you said...fantastic birding!!
I have done a few trips to Kruger at this time of year.
Don't recall the grass being this long. Or perhaps my memory is fading --00--

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Welcome back, Dzombo \O

It has been raining rather late, which is probably the reason for the very high grass -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Alf

Post by Alf »

We also had some trips where no predators showed up but then on shorter trips have seen more

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
harrys

Post by harrys »

0() 0() 0()

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Welcome back, Dzombs! X#X

As said, not the best time of year, and indeed the grass has shot up in some areas over the last month! :shock: But it is normally long earlier anyway.

Agreed about the rhino...it is not looking good and definitely due to poaching. :evil:

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

SABLE .Stay far west in the Park North to South..Cheetah ..S36 ..Leave that S39 alone Correct Sept is FAR better in Kruger

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Despite the bush conditions and at times slow sightings I really enjoyed this trip. Have had a bit of a rough time the past few months - mainly at work. Came back feeling rejuvenated.

Peter - from Skukuza I did the S1, S3, H1-1 loop in the hope of seeing Sable there. No luck. Also tried some of the roads west of Satara with similar results :-(

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger does tend to rejuvenate one, Hardworkerus! :twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”