From Floods and Surprises in River beds

Flutterby

Re: From Floods and Surprises in River beds

Post by Flutterby »

You had the perfect light on the lions and i love the red dust on the ellie! ^Q^ ^Q^

And such lovely bird pics too!! :yes:

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

Great sightings again, Pumbaa ^Q^ I love the cuckoo, great capture.

These lions don't look healthy to me O-/ perhaps a sarcoptic mange infection -O-

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Sublime bird sightings again :yes:

But the rest of the tour wasn't shabby either. I like those lions in the rising sun
and the ellies are beautiful as well. I just like all the colours in those pix. ^Q^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

What a very rare clear cuckoo pic, Pumbaa! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Also never heard of an indigobird! :shock:

The lions look ok? -O-

My favourite is the red ellie! :yes:

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Consensus says: the Cuckoo and Dusky Indigobird are great finds! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ Thanks for sharing, as I'll probably never see one in the wild. 0/0

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lisbeth wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:36 pm You were lucky to see an African cuckoo out in the open ^Q^ ^Q^

There were loads of European rollers in the park in February. I am sure that I saw dozens every day \O

Dusky Idigo Bird :shock: I have only seen it in the bird book lol

0()
Compared to last year the park was flooded by European rollers - It was lovely to see so many of them \O
Flutterby wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:01 pm You had the perfect light on the lions and i love the red dust on the ellie! ^Q^ ^Q^

And such lovely bird pics too!! :yes:
Me too - That is the colour of the S28 O/\
Klipspringer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:12 pm Great sightings again, Pumbaa ^Q^ I love the cuckoo, great capture.

These lions don't look healthy to me O-/ perhaps a sarcoptic mange infection -O-
Yes, we were so happy about that cuckoo sighting ^Q^

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Mel wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 pm Sublime bird sightings again :yes:

But the rest of the tour wasn't shabby either. I like those lions in the rising sun
and the ellies are beautiful as well. I just like all the colours in those pix. ^Q^
Yes finally we also were blessed with sunshine and less clouds and grey sky X#X
Richprins wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:05 pm What a very rare clear cuckoo pic, Pumbaa! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Also never heard of an indigobird! :shock:

The lions look ok? -O-

My favourite is the red ellie! :yes:

0()
I guess they could have look better :-(
ExFmem wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:21 pm Consensus says: the Cuckoo and Dusky Indigobird are great finds! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ Thanks for sharing, as I'll probably never see one in the wild. 0/0
Definitely our bird sightings especially in the South were not that bad overall O\/

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

and a thirsty elephant bull

before we once again stood on the Lower Sabie causeway watching birds such as masked weavers and

African jacanas as nothing else was willing to show up that day we headed forward to camp for another short break there.

Next stop was then at Sunset dam where today we easily could photograph a wattled plover

as well as a black winged stilt

and in the distance a juvenile yellow billed stork was staring onto the water.

A giraffe with a strange “turban” on its head peeped through the bushes whilst watching all the birds there

as the black winged stilt was still foraging

and finally also the three banded plover came close enough for decent shots.

After quite a while at that dam we carried on Northwards and tried not to miss nearly all the loops along the tar road. In one we stayed a bit longer as in the distance we recognized a giant kingfisher on a large rock and again many red bishops but all the birds stayed too far away but at least we could capture the beautiful view we had

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

at least one of the many birds we saw was willing to pose close enough for a picture.

The rest of our drive on the tar road was then uneventful but as always we drove via the S79 and there was enough water left in the pond at the causeway that the fishes were willing to greet us.

N’Watimhiri waterhole at the tar road was not that full as we expected same but at least it had enough water and even more mud left to make a gang of buffaloes

and two smaller elephants bulls extreme happy.

Especially the elephants had a great time in the mud and were splashing and spraying around nearly everywhere

and the parts of the body which could not be reached were finally covered by a body roll -

it was pure bliss for them and watching them made us lucky.

The S21 was then extreme quiet and partly extreme boring to drive as simply nothing came across but at least at one of the causeways you had to cross was enough water left for a glossy starling

to take an excessive bath

and when one bird is around more are not far and so attracted some red billed fire finches doing the same.

to be continued......

PuMbAa

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The elephants really love muds, all kinds of mud and not only because it is has a purpose O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”