The Flutterlings of Africa

Flutterby

The Flutterlings of Africa

Post by Flutterby »

Day 1, 21 April 2017, JHB - Satara

Our trip to Kruger after a whole year had finally arrived. We had booked 3 nights at Satara and 3 nights at Lower Sabie and we were hoping that Satara would hold something good for us as we haven't had much luck in that area in the past few years. The Brat and I had decided that instead of taking lots of duplicate shots this trip, he would take more video while I manned the camera, but he still got a few nice pics.

As usual, we had planned to leave in the very early hours of the morning to get to the gate before it opened. SO hates that we drive through the night and always tries to dissuade us, but we stuck to our plans and fetched my dad at 12.30am and were on the road 10 minutes later. The drive was fine until we were on the Schoemanskloof road. As we approached a blind rise I could see lights approaching from the other direction and slowed down, as I always do, but as we crested the rise there were two vehicles in front of me instead of one...some idiot was overtaking on a blind hill and I had no other choice but to swerve off the road. :shock: Thankfully there were no barriers on the left or a sharp drop-off!! I hit the gravel on the side of the road and slammed on brakes convinced we were going to roll. I held the steering wheel as hard as I could to keep the car from veering out of control and eventually we came to a shuddering halt! O-/ My dad and I were shaking and not really able to speak and the Brat was very confused as to what had happened as he had been fast asleep on the back seat. After a few deep breaths and checking that everyone and everything were ok we got back on the road, although I was now feeling extremely nervous and slowed right down. For the rest of the drive I kept replaying the events in my mind and thinking “what if?”, “what if?” I was extremely relieved when we finally reached Phabeni Gate, but we had now all agreed that we wouldn’t be doing this trip again in the middle of the night. :no: SO was extremely grateful that it had all ended well but couldn’t help uttering a few “I told you so’s” when he heard what had happened. :X:

Anyway, we were back in Kruger after a whole year and eager for the gates to open. :-0 There were two OSV’s in front of us and about twenty behind us. :O^ We were the only normal tourist vehicle there! 0- My dad took over the driving seat, and at last, the gates opened and we took off on the S1 with our eyes peeled. Our first sighting was a hyena on the side of the road which then crossed behind us.

Image Video snapshot

We saw a few impalas and some vultures before reaching Nyamundwa dam which was without its resident Fish Eagle this year, but the hippos were still there. The rest of the road held some wildebeest, zebra, kudu and giraffe. We took the S65 and soon came across a large breeding herd of ellies.

They crossed the road quickly and we moved forward to see them running through the river bed. We knew they were heading for the N'waswitshaka waterhole so headed there to wait for them.

Before the herd appeared two males arrived to drink.

The herd soon arrived and the males left to make space for them.

At the rocks on the H1-1 we found our first and only klipspringer of the trip.

You can never have too many LBR pics. :-)

We did see one rhino during our morning drive, but sadly saw very few over the rest of the trip. :-( We stopped off at Skukuza for a quick loo break then headed off again towards Satara.

Bushcraft

Re: The Flutterlings of Africa

Post by Bushcraft »

You guys are crazy to leave that early. 0- Oh ok, lesson learnt =O: --00--

Cool start O/\

I found KNP a mission with the long grass and we had to seriously keep the eyes peeled for things, so I’m interested to see how you found it. :-?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Ja, it was a tradition that my parents started when it was probably a lot safer to drive through the night, but as you say, lesson learnt. :yes:

We battled around Satara! :O^

nan

Post by nan »

lot of Elephants for starter O/\
^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

:-0 What a start with great Pictures. :-0

I am also one for "rather early than late".
Very glad you all came out of the incident without any hassles. \O

"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we were given to protect,
do not let poachers take it away!
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

It is sad that morons increasingly sully the roads, Flutts. Waiting to overtake is not their strong point, as they generally go into "screensaver mode" after 20 seconds or so, and firmly assume that someone coming will move off the road. Many of the worst accidents happen when two "screensavers" try the same thing from opposite sides. The logic escapes them.

But that happens in the day too, probably more, and highways and main roads are very quiet at night? The boy will drive and be big soon, so I wouldn't give up just yet? Also great to be at the gate early, especially in the OSV South! :twisted:

Anyway, nice pics indeed! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

I like the mirror pic and the ellies! \O

And a superb title! O/\

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Alf

Post by Alf »

So many OSV's O/

That's a nice drive to Satara \O

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

nan wrote:lot of Elephants for starter O/\
^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Always nice to see ellies. :yes:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Philip1 wrote: :-0 What a start with great Pictures. :-0

I am also one for "rather early than late".
Very glad you all came out of the incident without any hassles. \O
Thanks Philip. ;-) We've always driven to Kruger through the night but maybe it's time to change our ways. -O-

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Richprins wrote:It is sad that morons increasingly sully the roads, Flutts. Waiting to overtake is not their strong point, as they generally go into "screensaver mode" after 20 seconds or so, and firmly assume that someone coming will move off the road. Many of the worst accidents happen when two "screensavers" try the same thing from opposite sides. The logic escapes them.

But that happens in the day too, probably more, and highways and main roads are very quiet at night? The boy will drive and be big soon, so I wouldn't give up just yet? Also great to be at the gate early, especially in the OSV South! :twisted:
The quiet roads are one of the main reasons we like driving at this time. :yes: The Brat actually drove a lot in Kruger this trip. ;-)
Richprins wrote:Anyway, nice pics indeed! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

I like the mirror pic and the ellies! \O

And a superb title! O/\
Thank you. :-0

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”