A Time to Relax and Enjoy All Things *

JustN@ture

A Time to Relax and Enjoy All Things *

Post by JustN@ture »

18th May 2012
The time finally arrived and we off to Kruger O/\ O/\ , left Jo’burg early and stopped for breakfast at Alzu and to get our appitites going the sightings could have started there O** (zebra, eland, buff, blesbok, springbuck and rhino). Got to the Numbi gate at about 12:30 and had the afternoon to travel up to Paul Kruger gate as we were staying at Burchell’s Bush lodge for the week and then travelling up to Letaba for the following weekend \O . The discussion once in the gate was as always what the first sighting would be…JABI :-? , Kudu :-? or Rhino :-? , and to our surprise our first sighting was a lone Elephant ^Q^ . We had a good few sightings for the day namely …
Animals:
Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo, vervet monkeys, water buck, kudu, impala, hippo, slender mongoose, monitor lizard, Thick tail bushbaby.
Birds(Raptors):
Fish Eagle.
So here is the first sighting, the lone ellie

Then we stopped in at Pretoriuskop and on the Fayi loop a Vervet watched us as we tried to get a clear photo of our second of the big five,
a buff but to no avail O/ O/ .

We stopped in at Shitlhave dam and saw some Water buck coming up after a drink,

And then some other sightings were the Green Pigeon and a Mocking Cliff Chat (sorry not a great photo)

These two had a bit of a scuff at Transport dam //\0-- 0= (0)

and the winner returns to take his place of basking in the sun ^0^

A special sighting for the day on our way through was this family of 6

and them heading off into the bush…or giving the usual pose for photos [O] =O: =O: =O:

....to be continued ;-)

Let us permit nature to have her way. She understands her business better than we do.
JustN@ture

Re: A Time to Relax and Enjoy All Things

Post by JustN@ture »

19th May (Part1)
So this was our first full day in the park, must say it was somewhat cooler than our trip in November O** O** . We did the S3 as you enter Kruger gate and saw the usual. We also had an encounter with a charging ellie…but will elaborate later :shock: :shock: . The list for today is as follows…
Animals: Elephant, hippo, crocodile, impala, kudu, dwarf mongoose, greysbok, slender mongoose, vervet monkey, chacma baboon, giraffe, water buck, bush buck, warthog, steenbok, impala, monitor lizard, Rhino, Buffalo, terrapin and zebra
Birds(Raptors):
Fisheagle, Marshal Eagle, Vulture, Bateleur, African hawk eagle, Brown snake eagle, Goliath heron, Burchells coucal to name a few.
We stopped in at Nyamundwa dam for a coffee and had a Little Rush-Warbler (ID help please :-? ) was fluttering around in the grass and reeds, quite a busy chap.

The resident Fish Eagle came to pay a closer visit…much to our delight ^Q^ ^Q^ .

I then gave the BIF an attempt…start with the easy guys :o0ps: O** O**

We then headed back towards Skukuza and had this group of Zebra standing in the shade of a tree.

and our first Burchell’s coucal for this trip ^Q^ .

We then decided to pop in to our favourite hide in the south and this is where the ellie encounter occurred…
We spotted the herd grazing; slowly moving through the bush and some started crossing the road behind us. They were not at all concerned with us, that was till he spotted us…he saw we had stopped :shock: :shock: . This was not to his liking so he made it clear!!! trumpeted and flapped his ears O-/ O-/

The herd was moving to the other side of the road and he had to follow but did not like us there and when he got to the road he trumpeted and then stood his ground charging at the car and then stopping suddenly causing a dust storm around his feet… 0- -O 0-

He did this a few times while the herd moved on into the bush and when he realised he was alone to face us he shot off into the bush. Don’t think he was very impressed with his backup being so callous about the situation =O: =O: =O: =O: Think he will be an hand full as a teen 0- 0-

Lake panic \O Ahh bliss \O

Let us permit nature to have her way. She understands her business better than we do.
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Great pics again JN. \O

Love the bravado of the little ellie. =O:

I think your LBJ is a Tawny-flanked Prinia. (Post some more pics please if you have them so I can make sure).

(Check out the Little Rush Warbler pics for comparison in the forum bird book as well).

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
JustN@ture

Post by JustN@ture »

Dewi wrote:Great pics again JN. \O

Love the bravado of the little ellie. =O:

I think your LBJ is a Tawny-flanked Prinia. (Post some more pics please if you have them so I can make sure).

(Check out the Little Rush Warbler pics for comparison in the forum bird book as well).
Thanks Dewi, we had a good laugh at the ellie -O -O
thanks for the help with the Tawny-flanked Prinia, definitely see the difference \O , I only got this one as it flew off, not much good for you I don't think :D

JustN@ture

Post by JustN@ture »

19th May (Part2)
While at the hide we had one of the ellies come down and drink that was part of the group with our brave charger ^Q^ ^Q^ .

With the usual sightings around Lake panic \O

Black Crake

Goliath Heron

When leaving the hide we could hear the herd of ellies to the side of the path but could not see them through the bush.
When we got to the tar we had a pair of African Hawk Eagles O/\ O/\ O/\

In one of the loops on the H4-1 we had a Fish Eagle

Ms Kudu was standing dead still hoping we would not spot her…gotcha [O]

Just before the S21 we spotter our first Martial Eagle…with a kill \O ^Q^ ^Q^ \O

Looked like a guineafowl was the victim. Bit further down this chap was chirping away

Shrike White-crowned (Southern)

We stopped in at one of the waterhole on the S21, there were no animals but a couple of these butterflies

A lastly a Lilac-breasted \O

JustN@ture

Post by JustN@ture »

20th May (Part1)
First stop today was Lake Panic to see the sunrise but it was overcast, never the less it was great \O . The day was as a whole was also relatively quiet but still had some great sightings :-? :-? .
The days sightings were
Animals: Elephant, kudu, impala, hippo, zebra, slender mongoose, water buck, bush buck, Buffalo, warthog, giraffe, tortoise, terrapin, vervet monkey, wildebeest and
Birds(Raptors): Fish eagle, Pied kingfishers, Vulture, Brown snake Eagle.
The hide delivered as usual O/\ O/\
Pie Kingfisher

We heading down the S65 and stopped off at Transport dam on the way was a Magpie Shrike that posed for us

and at the dam the usual Crested Francolin and on the rock again was our victor leguan

We were waiting for a group watching grazing Zebras when I spotted a Bearded Woodpecker looking for food.

Other sightings for the morning were

Brown Snake Eagle sunning itself

I looked at this tree and the many like it and their will to grow

View from Biyamiti Weir that had been opened.

JustN@ture

Post by JustN@ture »

20th May (Part2)
Will be a short instalment for the afternoon…The rest of the day was quiet, on the S114 we stopped to spend some time watching these dwarf mongooses.
They ran into the grass so we turned off and waited patiently, curiosity eventually got the best of them and first one came forward to investigate. A little bit later the next one built up the courage to join its friend but felt safer being closer. Love these little critters. \O

We took a drive down the H4-1 as we still had about an hour to kill and stopped to watch some ellies in the river bed when these guys came up ^Q^ ^Q^ , by this time others had stopped to also watch and did not leave room for us to leave so we could not move and this chap was coming closer and closer O-/ O-/ so I took my photos [O] and closed the window as he had gotten so close I recon I could have patted him on the horns :shock: :shock: :shock:

On our way out we stopped to watch this herd of ellies taking a drink and a young one also having a drink. \O \O

JustN@ture

Post by JustN@ture »

21th May
Right, now that I’m back to normal after a hectic week let me continue, so where are we… :-?
will do the full day as I missed the week :o0ps: :o0ps: and it was shortish \O
There were clouds in the sky so the photos are a bit dull and we did not see a hang of a lot but what we saw was worth it as always. Today’s sightings were as follows
Animals: Elephant, impala, greysbok, hippo, giraffe, vervet monkeys, bush buck, crocodile, wildebeest, squirrel, zebra, slender mongoose, warthog, kudu tree squirrel, steenbok, water buck, chacma baboon, Rhino and Buffalo then on the birds side
BIRD: Fish eagle, Bateleur, Brown Snake eagle, Ground Hornbill and Black Stork

First up, a question O** O** and not a fantastic photo but can anyone tell me why the giraffe’s have tis white or discoloured patch behind their ears? :-?

We decided to head down to Lower Sabie on the H4-1 as this was the 4th day and we have had no luck with cats O/ 0*\ and the people had been spotting them on a daily occurrence in that area :shock: :evil: :evil: . So on the way down our sightings were the Brown snake eagle (I think :-? ) and a Fish eagle that looked as if it was building a nest.

Along the way these JABI’s with the usual cleaners. \O

Just before the sausage tree was a second Fish Eagle and then on cat in the sausage tree O/ O/ but this little Brown Hooded Kingfisher was there. ^Q^ ^Q^

We stopped off at Sunset dam and had coffee, this little Three Banded Plover was running around near the water’s edge. Frome here we decided to head on down to Croc Bridge, and then do the S28 and S130 routes.

We chatted to some folk who were stopped to hear they had seen cheetah in the distance but had lost sight of them O/ O/ O/ . Along the way was the usual game

and at one spot was a wonderful sighting, 4 of them resting. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

We stopped at one of the watering holes and watched as the game came down to drink and a little squirrel was busy looking for his meal.

When leaving we saw 3 Kori Bustards and a little Steenbok that was not so skittish for a change. \O

We took a detour on our way back doing the H12 and H1-2 where we saw this family of Ground Hornbills
The scene from the bridge is great. Like the pale green and almost black&white look.

And to end the day we had troop of baboons playing in the road 0- 0- with one chap just sitting behaving himself =O: =O: =O: ,as if they can behave themselves :twisted: :twisted:

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Great series of pics again JN. \O

Those Oxpeckers are great to watch as they go about their buisness on the Impala or other mammals.

Not certain about your Eagle, but at a guess I'd go for a Juvenile African Hawk-eagle. The boldly barred tail and pale fringes to the feathers are found on this species.

Love the river scenes. O/\

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
JustN@ture

Post by JustN@ture »

23rd May
Yesterday we spend in Hayzyview, so there were no sightings but then back at the lodge I found a couple of orb spiders hanging around. Today we took a drive on the northern side of the Sabie and then head down to LS, from there we took the H10 up towards Mlondozi dam. It was great to see the change in water level from our last trip ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ . Sightings were the usual,
Animals: Elephant, impala, hippo, giraffe, zebra, vervet monkeys, bush buck, greysbok, crocodile, wildebeest, squirrel, slender mongoose, warthog, kudu, steenbok, water buck, chacma baboon, Buffalo and
BIRD: Saddle-bill Stork, Giant Kingfisher, Fish eagle, Bateleur, Ground Hornbill, Brown Snake eagle and Kori Bustard
So a photo of one the orb spider ( Image Not so fond of spiders)

Now to the day’s sightings, first up was this lone Saddle billed stork at the bridge on the H1-2 and on the opposite side of the bridge was a Giant King Fisher being rather relaxed and soaking up the morning sun. ^Q^ ^Q^

Further down the road was this chap also absorbing the morning sun,

Then we came across this herd of ellies, I have no idea what he was doing but it was if he had stepped in poo 0*\ as he started wiping his feet, first the back left then the front right, then the back then the front left… O** O** O** -O -O -O

Back at Sunset the Yellow bill storks were in the nearby dead tree and on the water’s edge a Leguan was making his way round and a White-headed Lapwing strutting his stuff. O/\ O/\ O/\

At the bridge crossing the Sabie near LS were a couple of Hippo catching some sun and then further down the road a Ellie hiding from the sun. \O

Heading up north from Mlondozi dam we saw a Fish eagle nicely in the open \O , then there was a Kori Bustard and a big ellie Bull that was heading up to the road where we were stopped so we made a hasty departure. Love the scenery as one travels through the park.

At the lookout we turned back and stopped in at Leeupan where this Giraffe came down for a drink and then we encountered another group of Ground horn bills with a young one.

Final stop as we had a few minutes to spare was Lake panic where this Grey heron getting ready to call it a day.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”